Windows 10: locked out of thumb drive

Discus and support locked out of thumb drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a "disk on key", when plugged into the computer I see it show up as "removable disk" with a letter assigned to it. When I try going into it, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tapuz, Nov 3, 2015.

1. tapuz Win User

locked out of thumb drive

I have a "disk on key", when plugged into the computer I see it show up as "removable disk" with a letter assigned to it. When I try going into it, I get a pop up window: "please insert a disk into removable disk (f: ).".
    In short I cannot get any information from the thumb drive.
    In disk management, it shows up with a letter assigned, and the disk is grayed out. I cannot change the letter, or format there (or even through my pc).
    In device manager, it shows up as "usb mass storage", and it says it is working properly.

i have tried in several computers, different version of windows as well, and was not successfull

Thank you very much

:)

tapuz, Nov 3, 2015

2. "file in use by another program"

Yes, it seems that AOL is at least PART of the problem. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling AOL. That did not help. I have an email in to AOL tech support asking for help. No reply yet.

But I have a nagging feeling it is not just an AOL issue. I tried the following:

1. Copied the entire directory structure (folders, subfolders, and files) with the offending files in it from the hard drive on my PC to a thumb drive. I used MS file explorer to do the copying.

2. Tried to attach some files from the thumb drive to an AOL email. That worked.

3. So at this point we see that AOL email is behaving when he attachments are on a thumb drive.t

4. Made a brand new folder on the PC's hard drive.

5. Copied the entire directory structure back from the thumb drive to the new directory on the PC hard drive. Again, I used MS file explorer to do the copying.

6. Tried to attach files from the new directory structure on the PC hard drive to an AOL email. The problem is back!!

I suspect something is going on here with various levels in the directory structure. I wonder if maybe various folders and/or subfolders on the hard drive are locked or something. But why would they be locked on the hard drive but not locked when they
    are copied over to a thumb drive? And why would these unlocked files on a thumb drive become locked again when they are copied back to the PC hard drive.

Please note that when I use the word "locked" I don't mean that the files have a locked icon showing in MS file explorer. I mean that they cause the "file is open in another application" message (from AOL email).

This driving me crazy.

Are you aware of any whiz-bang SUPER-SIMPLE third party unlocking software or other fixes I can try?

GlenGodwin, Nov 3, 2015
  3. Create password reset disk windows 10 nothing happens

MartyPadilla,

What you need to do if you're locked out and don't have a password recovery thumb drive, is:

From another Windows 10 machine and a thumb drive, create a Recovery Drive.

Then boot onto the drive and use the built in utilities to rename the keyboard executable file to CMD.EXE (for a command prompt).

When you boot normally back into windows, you can click the on screen keyboard and it will launch a command prompt with Administrative permissions. You can then use a command line to give your user a new password that you assign.

Please Google the exact syntax, this is a widely accepted way to get back into a machine the belongs to YOU.

-Robert

adminman7771, Nov 3, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Sounds like it is dead, no choice but to buy a new one *Sad

lx07, Nov 3, 2015
  5. tapuz Win User
    tapuz, Nov 10, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    I threw my USB key in the bin when that happened to me, oh well, good to know for next time.

Which program did you use from that site? This one?

locked out of thumb drive [​IMG]

7. tapuz Win User
    it looks like the one we used, i cannot say for sure, a friend of mine did it.
    at least it is usable now, i copied a 500 kb file, disconnected the usb drive, and plugged it in, and everything is okay
    except as above, i am still trying to recover the previous information i had on the drive

tapuz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. locked out of thumb drive - Similar Threads - locked thumb drive

2. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  3. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  4. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  6. Formatting a Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a Thumb Drive: Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. I tried to format a thumb drive but when I select File Explorer, all I get is a list of files I've recently opened. I do not see the Thumb Drive. Doesn't matter if I select any files in the Recent Folder, I don't see...
  7. Thumb Drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumb Drive not working: I inserted my thumb drive and it was working perfectly before. But now it says I have to format it and it will erase all the data. How do I access the thumb drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drive-not-working/3f7f37c7-f7d1-42ea-a644-4afbb523dc33
  8. Thumb Drives

Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  9. Syncing Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Syncing Thumb Drive: Our church secretary likes to keep most of her documents on a thumb drive which creates a problem when she's gone, since no one but her has her drive. We've asked that she keep church stuff on the churches computers for this reason, but to no avail. She said this time, "I...
  10. thumb drives

thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165