Windows 10: Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Discus and support Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! If this has been answered before, please point me to the appropriate thread. Last night we were checking old hardware in our Service... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by spapakons, Sep 17, 2016.

1. spapakons Win User

Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Hello!

If this has been answered before, please point me to the appropriate thread.

Last night we were checking old hardware in our Service Department long abandoned from our customers (more than 8 months). Among them there was a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 2.5" SATA. I connected the drive in our test computer, checked it with HDD Sentinel, it was in perfect condition and also passed both tests, short and long. Since the customer is no longer interested, we can keep the disk and use it in our service for backups or whatever. However I discovered the SSD is locked with a password and of course I don't know what it is! I have read somewhere that we can unlock it with the master password, so where can we find it? Is there any other solution? We tried a low level format but it won't start because of I/O errors (that is because it is locked and blocks any other command to the drive). I read elsewhere that I can unlock it using the SNID printed at the back of the drive and even tried the Samsung SNID Revert utility only to get the message that it unlocks the next level (higher, don't remember how it's called), not level 0 (disk password), so it didn't proceed.

Any help appreciated!

Data that may help:
    Description: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
    P/N: MZ7LN250
    Model: MZ-75E250
    MSIP-REM-SEC-MZ-75E250

Thank you in advance!

:)

spapakons, Sep 17, 2016

2. Win10 clean setup issue with my Z68 or my SSD?

120Gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD. There is no new firmware for it.

Vladimir Krasnoshchyokov, Sep 17, 2016
  3. Anyone upgrade to a SSD? Will there be a significant improvement in performance?

which SSD u got? im leaning towards the samsung 850 EVO.

jesseholiday, Sep 17, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

If it's on-board/circuit-level encryption, loaded with data, then password-locked, you might need the software that "started" the whole thing. I'll be listening in and learning right alongside with you.

RolandJS, Sep 17, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    simrick, Sep 17, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    And I also found this:

View topic - Unlocking Samsung SSD 256 Gb - 7PC256HAFU ATA Password

I've also read that Samsung have a PSID Revert Tool somehwere, but I haven't been able to find the download (is that what you are using?). I did see someone mention on Crucial's site that their PSID Revert Tool worked on a Samsung 850 using a W7 system.
    PSID Revert tool alpha release - Crucial Community
    Page 7 has the comment.

simrick, Sep 17, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I don't know if this will help, but I thought I'd post it:
    From the Samsung Magician Help file
    If you download Magician and use it'S Secure Erase, it might get rid of the data and hence the encryption, also you could try using DISKPART>clean all
    Tutorial:Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command - Windows 7 Help Forums

I am supposing you are NOT interested in you old customers data*Wink

Cliff S, Sep 17, 2016
  8. spapakons Win User

Thank you all for your reply. The Samsung PSID Revert tool unlocks drives locked in the next level (TCG Opal, see Cliff S reply above). Mine was locked at the first level (Class 0, password protected), so the tool did nothing. The password is at the first sectors of the disk (as far as I have read), so a low level format would unlock it. The problem is that the drive rejects all commands unless unlocked, so one cannot just do a low level format, it's the first I tried. I even downloaded the trial version of Blancco but tried the wrong method to unlock it and failed. Later I loaded Blancco again to try the SSD delete method but the 20 minute trial had expired and couldn't proceed! Maybe I just apply for a new trial key later.

I have already found the links you suggest but did nothing. The time was 3:00am so I had to quit and sleep.

Any more help appreciated.

PS: I tried the secure erase in Magician but denied to proceed, it suggested to unlock the drive and try again. Also Diskpart could not do anything. The drive rejects all commands unless unlocked.

spapakons, Sep 17, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    To know that it is this difficult is good to know, now I'm thinking about setting it up to protect against ransomware.
    Although...
    being over 50 and living alone here in Germany if something terrible happens to me, I would actually want the authorities to have access to my PC, so they could inform the people in my Contacts list in Outlookt(or People app).

I guess I could write my passwords somewhere where they could/would find it.

Cliff S, Sep 17, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    I would not run the 'clean all' command on an SSD. The 'clean' command is about all that is necessary and won't damage the drive.

essenbe, Sep 17, 2016
  11. thekelt Win User
    I note in Magician the Help icon for Class 0 says "User can set the BIOS password to enable Class 0 security mode depending on the system or BIOS support. This enables the data protection before boot loader is called."
    I have an 840 EVO 1 TB but when I hit "How to Enable" it repeats the above information. So I'm assuming the psw is in the BIOS of the original computer. I do have a general BIOS psw but unsure if my system, as they say, will support Class 0. Secure erase is supposed to erase to factory default but doesn't say if a Class 0 psw will block it. May have to ask Samsung direct if there is a way to remove it. I assume it can be removed in the BIOS if it can be set there, but if BIOS is not available, that is a mystery. Will check when I reboot if my BIOS allows Class 0, and if it can be set and removed at will just like a general password. Cheers.

thekelt, Sep 17, 2016
  12. spapakons Win User
    Of course I have opened a support ticket in Samsung. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have news from them. The clean command in Diskpart failed, the drive rejects all other commands unless unlocked with the user password or a master password. Does anyone knows any default master password for Samsung SSDs (hopefully the owner hasn't change it)? Thank you.

spapakons, Sep 17, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

Just found this in the help file: 15. Security mode (Class 0, TCG/Opal, or Encrypted Drive) must be disabled (unlocked) before removing and installing in another PC.

Unless the original owner can turn the encryption off for you, you have a nice geeky paperweight is all.

Cliff S, Sep 17, 2016
  14. spapakons Win User
    Let's see what Samsung says about it. If they cannot (or don't want) to help me, I guess I'll just throw it away. If it was just 120GB I would have already but it is 250GB and it would be pity... Thank you anyway.

spapakons, Sep 17, 2016
  15. thekelt Win User
    My BIOS is Amer. Megatrends Ver 2.10 and apparently does not support Class 0 as I found nothing that allowed me to activate this level of security. Good luck with Samsung. I would think they would have a back door for this because if ur MOB died and the BIOS lost, putting the drive with a new MOB would be problematic, same probelm. Good luck.

thekelt, Sep 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Similar Threads - Locked Samsung 850

2. RAPID Mode on Samsung SSD 850 EVO problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAPID Mode on Samsung SSD 850 EVO problem: Hi! I have a Samsung SSD EVO 850 256GB and I recently started noticing very slow write speeds. I installed the latest version of Samsung Magician 7.2.1 and ran a Performance Benchmark on the drive it was taking over 2 hours, so I canceled the test. After this, I enabled "Full...
  3. Is this Samsung 850 EVO SSD going bad?

Is this Samsung 850 EVO SSD going bad?: I'm having lots of BSODs and the forum member who is assisting me (Lots of IRQ_Less... and KERNEL_SECURITY... BSODs on 2 month old build - Windows 10 Forums) picked up lots of retry messages from the Beta Collector that I uploaded for my Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Are all these...
  4. Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance

Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance: I recently bought a Samsung SSD 850 Evo which i cannected to my MS Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10 Pro using a Type C usb Sabrent Cablrle. After formatting the drive i tried to invoke Rapid Mode but failed. The Magician software does not allow me to do so. I have downgraded...
  5. System Image + new Samsung 850 EVO SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image + new Samsung 850 EVO SSD: Following a successful install of Creator's Update I transferred all files-including OS-to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500gb) using Samsung Magician software supplied with the SSD. File transfer went was perfect. Old HDD was removed and replaced with Samsung SSD. Reboot was...
  6. Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems

Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems: Hi, I run the Samsung Magician, and in its System Information, stated AHCI Mode is Deactivated and SATA Interface is unable to be detected. How to resolve this, please help? Thank you guys! [img] 74257
  7. Is my SSD Samsung Evo 850 failing?

Is my SSD Samsung Evo 850 failing?: Hello. My SSD: Ssd Samsung Evo 850 250 GB, motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 UEFI, So i want to write about my issues with Windows 10 just before format, when i was on MBR partition. I want to be sure that my SSD is fine or not. So listen. Windows 10 get somehow...
  8. Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Samsung SSD 850 EVO: [img] About This Product Upgrade virtually every aspect of your computer’s performance with Samsung’s new 850 EVO, designed with state-of-the-art SSD advancements including 3D V-NAND technology. As the next generation beyond the bestselling 840 EVO, you’ll get the...
  9. SSD Samsung Evo 850 & Samsung Magician RAPID mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Samsung Evo 850 & Samsung Magician RAPID mode: Hi guys, i'm using win 10 pro x64 on a samsung evo 850 120gb ssd. My samsung magician just can't recognize the OS, anyone knows how to fix? Thank you and sorry for my bad grammar! *Tongue [img] 24028
  10. Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB

in Windows 10 Support
    Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB: I have a Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB and while I had been using it on my laptop with Windows 7 everything had been running ok even the Rapid mode, but when I updated to Windows 10, I am getting this error : Rapid mode is in inactive state due to system internal errors. Please...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Samsung evo 850 ata master password