Windows 10: Log Collector Fails

Discus and support Log Collector Fails in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! When I run the log collector and press a key when it says to, a command prompt appears but almost instantly disappears as a bunch of lines... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jeffsun13, Oct 10, 2017.

1. jeffsun13 Win User

Log Collector Fails

Hello!
    When I run the log collector and press a key when it says to, a command prompt appears but almost instantly disappears as a bunch of lines quickly flash by. After, there is a folder on my desktop called TF debug files but it is full of empty text files. A text file called 'temp' also appears, it has the statement "'reg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file." repeated 6 times. There is also a script called _zipit created.
    I have tried redownloading the collector and running as an administrator.

Thanks!

:)

jeffsun13, Oct 10, 2017

2. Unwanted restarts

Okay, let me automate this process for you.

Run the Log Collector:

https://www.tenforums.com/dl/dm_log_collector.exe

Share that through Onedrive with us.

How to Run the Log collector:

https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debuggin...

How to share files through Onedrive:

http://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2017/12/how-to-...

Instead of System logs as written in the above article, you need to share the ZIP file created by DM log collector.

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 10, 2017
  3. missing wifi icon windows 10

Ok in case u havent solved this yet go to the system config and go to the services tab and make sure Microsoft event log and Microsoft event log collector is checked

BaileyMcCowan, Oct 10, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Log Collector Fails

Please right click on the file that you downloaded and make sure the details tab looks like this. If it doesn't you may have a corrupted download.

Log Collector Fails [​IMG]

philc43, Oct 10, 2017
  5. jeffsun13 Win User
    Yes, it looks exactly like that

jeffsun13, Oct 10, 2017
  6. Spectrum Win User
    Hi Jeffsun13,

We currently are working on an updated version of the log collector, right now it is still in beta, but we'd like you to try it to see if it resolves the problem.

For now it's not in a nice .exe format, but it is still pretty straightforward to run. Right-click the .zip, select "extract all" then in the new extracted folder double-click "log-collector" to run it.

Spectrum, Oct 10, 2017
  7. jeffsun13 Win User
    I attached the zip, but the log collector still gave an error after every line, in the form:

The term 'driverquery.exe' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

This statement showed for 'powercfg.exe', 'cscript.exe', 'inconfig.exe', 'route.exe', and 'wevtutil.exe'

DESKTOP-3B05JDE (10-11-2017 12 47 PM).zip

jeffsun13, Oct 10, 2017
  8. Spectrum Win User

Log Collector Fails

That's very strange. Is your account an administrator, or are you elevating with a separate administrator account?

Please check if the following files exist:

"C:\Windows\System32\driverquery.exe"
    "C:\Windows\System32\powercfg.exe"
    "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe"
    "C:\Windows\System32\ipconfig.exe"
    "C:\Windows\System32\ROUTE.EXE"
    "C:\Windows\System32\wevtutil.exe"

Also please run the following from PowerShell:
    Code: echo ($envLog Collector Fails :path).Replace(';',"`n") > "$home\Desktop\variable-path.txt"[/quote] Code: &"$env:SystemRoot\System32\ipconfig.exe" > "$home\Desktop\ipconfig.txt"[/quote]
    This will place "variable-path.txt" and "ipconfig.txt" on your Desktop, upload both files here or report any errors you run into.

Spectrum, Oct 10, 2017
  9. jeffsun13 Win User
    My account is an administrator, but none of those files exist.

ipconfig.txtvariable-path.txt

jeffsun13, Oct 10, 2017
  10. Spectrum Win User
    Jeff,

It looks like your path environment variable has been overwritten, either manually or when you installed the mathematics packages algs4 and matlab. It's missing the following entries, which would explain why it could not find the executables.

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32 C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\[/quote] I've updated the script to include fully-qualified paths to each executable called, which should resolve this. Thanks for your help with troubleshooting and patience.

Also, I assume you are wanting to run this log collector because you are running into a problem with your PC crashing. What issues have you been experiencing with your computer?

Spectrum, Oct 10, 2017
  11. jeffsun13 Win User
    This is the log collector file:
    DESKTOP-3B05JDE (10-11-2017 4 50 PM).zip

I've been experiencing random BSODs for a while, and I've tried many fixes, including several clean reinstalls of Windows and sending the laptop back into Dell, but nothing has worked. All scans of memory and the SSD have returned no errors or corrupted files. I followed one person's advice and did a clean reset but without installing the driver for Intel Rapid Storage Technology and I no longer got BSODs but it still completely froze my computer until I restarted, just without the blue screens. I ran WhoCrashed, and it said the modules ntoskrnl.exe and ntdll.sys were at fault.

Notes: No trends for when the BSODs occur, often just when computer is completely idle and doing nothing. I've also had issues with the computer shutting down every time it goes to sleep, crashing while asleep, and not being able to charge, but all of these went away randomly or I fixed them. When BSODs occur, programs stop responding for about 20 seconds, before it shows the BSOD, and the computer tries to restart but fails and gets stuck at the logo screen.

Thank you so much for your time!

jeffsun13, Oct 11, 2017
  12. Spectrum Win User
    As a start, there is a new release for your XPS' firmware. Dell marked it as "Urgent" and list "System stability enhancements" in the change log. Even if this does not resolve the issue, I am certain Dell support will request you do this before they will assist you further.

Dell XPS 13 9350 1.5.1 BIOS Driver Details | Dell US

Looking at the crash dump, have you noticed that most blue screens are showing "Critical Process Died" or are they across the board in their error messages? Unfortunately the minidump did not contain much information, and it would help if we could get the full dump. However the full memory dump C:\Windows\MEMORY.dmp is the size of your ram, 8GB, so it may be annoying to upload and download it, even after compressing it.

You may want to switch your dump type to "Active" which will only store the memory in use, which will generally be a much smaller amount. Here is a guide on changing crash dump settings: Configure Windows 10 to Create Minidump on BSOD BSOD Tutorials

I also saw that your event log reported some bluetooth issues, have you been noticing problems with that? Here are some examples:

Code: Event[7]: Log Name: System Source: bcbtums Date: 2017-09-11T17:43:20.551 Event ID: 1026 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-3B05JDE Description: Failed initializing BT device, failed RAM patch download.[/quote] Code: Event[8]: Log Name: System Source: BTHUSB Date: 2017-09-11T17:43:22.853 Event ID: 3 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-3B05JDE Description: A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond.[/quote] Code: Event[189]: Log Name: System Source: BTHUSB Date: 2017-09-12T21:45:36.497 Event ID: 17 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-3B05JDE Description: The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.[/quote] Oh and here's a fairly good guide on fixing your path environment variables..

Spectrum, Oct 11, 2017
  13. jeffsun13 Win User

Log Collector Fails

I would say Critical Process Died definitely makes up most of the BSODs, although I get Unexpected Store Exception once in a while and I think I've seen one other statement. I've never used Bluetooth on this computer, so I have no idea about that.
    I've called in to Dell Support a number of times, but they just always run the same tests and the computer passes everything, so they request that I send it in.

jeffsun13, Oct 11, 2017
  14. jeffsun13 Win User
    Most of the BSODs show Critical Process Died, but I also get Unexpected Store Exception and I think I've seen one other one. I have never used Bluetooth before on this computer, so I cannot tell.

Edit: Thought first message didn't get posted

jeffsun13, Oct 11, 2017
  15. zbook New Member
    The critical process died was seen within the logs.

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

4) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

5) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

6) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

When you have completed all of the above commands please run the log collector again and post a new zip into the thread.

There have been numerous crash dump failures:

Code: Event[4996]: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 2017-10-09T08:53:10.789 Event ID: 161 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-3B05JDE Description: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.[/quote] Code: Event[5495]: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 2017-10-10T13:16:47.463 Event ID: 49 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-3B05JDE Description: Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.[/quote]

zbook, Oct 11, 2017
Thema:

Log Collector Fails

1. Log Collector Fails - Similar Threads - Log Collector Fails

2. Problems with Windows Event Collector

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Windows Event Collector: Good afternoon! There is a WEC server with several subscriptions for different logs System, Security, Application. It works in Push mode with the event delivery optimization parameter "Minimal Latency". There are 6 DC connected to subscriptions. However, there are periodic...
  3. double click on the log-collector shortcut and a mistake happen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    double click on the log-collector shortcut and a mistake happen: when i follow the guide and double click on the log-collector shortcut,A Command Prompt window shows below information: & : The term '.\resources\main.ps1' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name,...
  4. bsods. log collector result included with google drive

bsods. log collector result included with google drive: Hey, I have no idea why I'm getting these bsod s. Some of them are as follows; IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION I started getting these errors after a clean installation of windows. I know that the windows is not up to date but I...
  5. The V2 Log collector is triggering my antivirus

The V2 Log collector is triggering my antivirus: I'm using Bitdefender. It kept blocking the log collector when I ran it. Eventually, it found a .cab file in my temp files that it did not like, and quarantined it, describing the nature of the threat as "Atc4.Detection". Any thoughts? Update: Attached output of DM Log...
  6. need help diagnostic the freeze error in log collector, file in post

need help diagnostic the freeze error in log collector, file in post: newly built keep freezing mid gaming no matter the game. please find attached file for crash logs from log collector v2 beta, all i can get from it is error 10016 which is usually harmless, after testing my rig one by one i'm almost certain the reason for those freezes is...
  7. BETA Log Collector is not working

BETA Log Collector is not working: I downloaded the files, extracted them and and tried to open the file log-collector.ink as explained in this post: BSOD - Posting Instructions but about 2 seconds after I opened the file it closes itself and I cant interact with it at all. how do i troubleshoot it? 129714
  8. BETA Log Collector upload for slow boot troubleshooting

BETA Log Collector upload for slow boot troubleshooting: I have the latest version of windows 10 dual boot with ubuntu budgie and have been noticing slow boots. Yes, I've disabled fastboot, but I don't think that's the issue because when I had windows dual boot setup w/ linux mint for the first time on an older version of windows...
  9. Troubleshooting the BETA log collector (extract > open)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubleshooting the BETA log collector (extract > open): In the BSOD forum there are two log collectors: DM and BETA BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums In the VIP forum there is a thread for Improving the Log Collection Script. Improving the Log Collection Script There is a new version of the BETA log collector that...
  10. Cannot run DM log Collector Tool

Cannot run DM log Collector Tool: Hi I have had a BSOD and want to run the DM Log Collector tool as instructed in the BSOD forum, so I can post on that forum, however when I try to run the tool I get this message "This app can't run on your PC. (see attached Picture) Any ideas what I am doing wrong....