Windows 10: Log In Hangs On Restart Only

Discus and support Log In Hangs On Restart Only in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; From a cold start, I get a very fast boot time (I have that option checked "Turn On Fast Startup". The problem is restarts. Very slow. The bios screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sjf99, Aug 22, 2016.

1. sjf99 Win User

From a cold start, I get a very fast boot time (I have that option checked "Turn On Fast Startup". The problem is restarts. Very slow. The bios screen loads quickly, I then get to another boot screen (image attached), that has a red x thru a computer icon. My mouse works and I can click it to get to a logon screen for my password, then I sit for about a minute while the keyboard activates and I can then type in the password. Any help?

Thanks.

Scott

:)

sjf99, Aug 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 hangs on Restart only

This a unique situation as this only happens when the system "RE-starts". If the computer is off, the system starts quickly. If I shut down the computer and then power on, it starts up without a problem. Only if I "restart" the operating
    system does it take 8-10 minutes before I can logon.

I ran the trouble shooter with "no errors"

Safe mode makes no difference. boots fine from power on. 10 minutes with a restart.

Clean boot hangs on a restart as well.

Jim Kettelkamp, Aug 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10 hangs on Restart only

Upgraded to Windows 10 (Dell M3800) and when I power on the systems it starts just fine (takes about 10 seconds to logon screen). But after any updates or when I "Restart" the system it takes over 8 minutes to get to the logon screen.

Jim Kettelkamp, Aug 22, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

A restart always bypasses the fast startup optimisation and is much slower so I think that what you are seeing is normal behaviour. The part that I am a little dubious about is the wait for the keyboard, that should not normally happen.

There is a process called a clean boot which you can use to try and figure out what may be causing this. Read through this tutorial and decide if you want to have a go at the troubleshooting process to see if you can identify which startup process is causing the problem. That will probably help you find the culprit.

On the other hand as the normal shutdown is working well this is not a major issue.

philc43, Aug 22, 2016
  5. sjf99 Win User
    Thank you. I think I seemed to fix it. Now, both my Cold Boot and Restart are quite speedy. I basically turned off the windows picture at the login screen, which I think became just one less thing to load.

Now, the keyboard and mouse are interesting. They are USB enabled and connect to a powered hub and then to the computer. I think it becomes more of a timing issue of how fast the computer boots those devices up. If I connect the keyboard and mouse directly to the pc, no lags. In fact, I then moved it back to the USB hub and no lags either ("muscle memory", lol).

Anyways, thanks for the tips. Kinda crazy, the amount of different things that can go wrong and the varied ways to fix them, probably none more right then the next.

Scott

sjf99, Aug 22, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Glad things seem to be working better *Smile

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Log In Hangs On Restart Only - Similar Threads - Log Hangs Restart

2. PC hangs and Restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC hangs and Restart: Hi my PC has been hanging and restarting after the hang. Checking the event logs, there is this error that occurs:The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID...
  3. PC hangs and Restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC hangs and Restart: Hi my PC has been hanging and restarting after the hang. Checking the event logs, there is this error that occurs:The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID...
  4. PC hangs and Restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows hangs and restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows hangs and restart: ok so i was browsing edge browser and suddenly after closing it, Pc hanged and then restarted. Here is v2 log file linkhttps://1drv.ms/f/s!Arrj8MWtdHGwj1TMKh9qzVK2z7EZ?e=D8NsEv...
  6. windows hangs and restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows hangs and restart: ok so i was browsing edge browser and suddenly after closing it, Pc hanged and then restarted. Here is v2 log file linkhttps://1drv.ms/f/s!Arrj8MWtdHGwj1TMKh9qzVK2z7EZ?e=D8NsEv...
  7. windows hangs and restart

8. Restart Hanging Issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restart Hanging Issue: When I run Restart or Restart is run after a Windows Update, the PC hangs with the wait icon spinning for a long time. The only way to get out of it is to hold the start button till it shuts down....
  9. Hanging at 'Restarting'

Hanging at 'Restarting': My Windows 10 PC hangs at the 'Restarting' screen when installing updates or just restarting the computer. It eventually completes the update or restart, but it takes far too long. The computer is a year old and did not do this until after an update several months ago. How...
  10. Restart not possible, but only when logged in

in Windows 10 Support
    Restart not possible, but only when logged in: Not sure in which section this belongs, feel free to educate me on this as well please. I'm trying to debug this weird problem, and get nowhere: Computer seems to be running fine, except that I cannot reboot. It will simply hang in the bios screen and does not continue....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows hang at boot restart only

2. only after restart hangs after login