Windows 10: Log-in Pin is incorrect after Anniversary update

Discus and support Log-in Pin is incorrect after Anniversary update in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; After the Windows 10 Anniversary update, when I try to sign in with my pin, it says the pin I entered is incorrect. I know it is the correct pin... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MNMary, Aug 4, 2016.

1. MNMary Win User

Log-in Pin is incorrect after Anniversary update

After the Windows 10 Anniversary update, when I try to sign in with my pin, it says the pin I entered is incorrect.
    I know it is the correct pin number. It's the same pin I've used since installing Windows 10.
    I have to sign in using my password. I want to go back to using my pin, but I can't change the pin, since don't know what it thinks my old pin is. I understand others are having the same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mary

:)

MNMary, Aug 4, 2016
  2. B.J. Monaco, Aug 4, 2016
  3. HMQOD Win User
    windows 10 anniversary update not recognising my PIN

I upgraded to windows 10 anniversary update but now it wont let me log I with my PIN. Says it is incorrect. Help

HMQOD, Aug 4, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Here's a WindowsReport story from 2015 on this topic but obviously unrelated to Anniversary Update. Looks like some good suggestions in there, though so you may want to give them a try. As far as precise fixes or workarounds go, other folks are indeed reporting this problem but so far I can't find a definitive fix, either. The "delete the NGC directory" approach from the afore-cited story looks promising, though. Please let us know how this turns out for you.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Aug 4, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 4, 2016
  6. I had exactly the same problem on my Win 10 Pro laptop after the AU update. While resetting the PIN using the above method(s) may well work, the real question should be, "Why did Microsoft screw it up again in the first place?" It's just like the "NumLock" Key issue. MS proudly state (for Windows 10) that passwords are old fashioned and that Pins are the new security (though how a 4 digit pin can beat a 14 character password beats me) and then promptly turns off Numlock at boot. What is the world coming to?

Daveatthewell, Oct 1, 2016
  7. I had the same issue after my update on Windows 10. I knew that my pin hadn't changed but it was saying it was incorrect. So I said that I forgot my pin and it started going through the steps to reset the pin entered my regular password and when the window popped up to set a new pin I said cancel and then I chose the option to set my pin later. I exited the screen, logged off logged back in, and set up a new pin which happened to be the same pin I had before and it worked. If this still doesn't work I can show step by step screen shots if you need. I have a surface 3 with Windows 10 fully updated 10.0.14393.0

mattman565, Oct 2, 2016
  8. Log-in Pin is incorrect after Anniversary update

Thanks mattman565. All fixed now but a lot of unnecessary aggravation?

Daveatthewell, Oct 2, 2016
  9. bbrandnew Win User
    Im having the same problem can you tell me what you did? Windows won't recognize my 4 digit pin. I need to bypass this somehow and I need to know how???? Can anyone help please???

bbrandnew, Oct 2, 2016
  10. Yeah, it was pretty frustrating. I may have taken some unnecessary steps to get there but better safe than sorry.

mattman565, Oct 2, 2016
  11. slsmag Win User
    Just happened to me after today's updates were installed.
    When the PIN screen is showing, click on the link below the requestor to select "other ways to sign in" (or something like that). You'll then be able to sign-in with your password.

I was lucky - I could remember my password.
    YMMV

Dear Miscrosoft: Shame On You.

slsmag, Oct 3, 2016
  12. jplas Win User
    jplas, Oct 9, 2016
  13. Steve C Win User

This is just another example of sloppy software engineering by MS. I had an issue in not being able to create new user accounts after the AU.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Log-in Pin is incorrect after Anniversary update - Similar Threads - Log Pin incorrect

2. Locked out after incorrect PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Locked out after incorrect PIN: My son accidentally entered the PIN wrong on our Acer laptop and it has locked us out. It tells us to enter the Challenge Phrase A1B2C3 then gives us the chance to enter the PIN. Upon doing this and it is DEFINITELY the correct PIN this time! we are met with the error ‘this...
  3. Pin is incorrect??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin is incorrect??: Hey just opened my PC and the keyboard letters aren't working but the numbers are. I tried to change my pin into numbers to let me enter in but after typing the 4th number in my pin, it says pin is incorrect. Basically it won't let me enter my pin. What should I do???...
  4. Cannot log into Apps - always says PIN incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot log into Apps - always says PIN incorrect: I am running into a problem with a seemingly simple operation on a brand new Windows 11 Home PC, installed from scratch.I have a user which is logged in and would like to run the XBox App as another user which is not the currently logged in user. Both users have already...
  5. Bitlocker Pin incorrect after application update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker Pin incorrect after application update: I have a user having issue with bitlocker pin after other applications update. Laptop was configured in a domain and recovery key not available.Attempt to login MIcrosoft account to retrieve recovery account not valid.Attempt to manage-bde commands failed with recovery pin...
  6. Incorrect Pin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Incorrect Pin: Hi, my laptop has recently updated and now it's saying the pin is incorrect. There isn't a 'sign in option' so I can't sign in with my password, is there a different way to sign in with the password? The only option I have is 'I forgot my PIN'. Thanks!...
  7. PIN log in issue after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    PIN log in issue after update: The recent update made me put in a PIN, on restart I have to enter a PIN, I don't want to use the PIN, but when I go to settings to try to remove the PIN it says that the Hello welcome PIN is not set up, yet I have to enter the PIN on the welcome screen on restarts and I have...
  8. BSODs after the anniversary update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODs after the anniversary update: I don't know where to begin with this one. I was on windows 7 in the past and my PC (custom built) constantly suffered from BSOD and random crashes (like browsers crashing randomly). I did my best to try and find out what is causing these issues and ended up narrowing it...
  9. Problem After Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem After Anniversary Update: Hey Guys, Need some help here. Did my Anniversary update (after hearing of all the problems I did it anyhow I like to be updated) and am currently having 2 main problems. Im the Admin of my Computer. 1. I use Plex server a lot. So when I leave my computer on if it...
  10. Trouble after anniversary update

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble after anniversary update: Hello friends: I am running build 14393 after the anniversary updates. However, I BIG problem I'm facing is that the links to recent files on the applications pinned on the task bar is not available any more. And it's seriously irritating to first open say, Excel then...