Windows 10: Logging back in as temporary user

Discus and support Logging back in as temporary user in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I understand others have had problems logging in as a temporary user when updating to windows 10 and a reboot or update sorts this out. But does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by andysmart1, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Logging back in as temporary user

I understand others have had problems logging in as a temporary user when updating to windows 10 and a reboot or update sorts this out.

But does anyone know how I can log back in as that temporary user again?? I moved some documents and pictures (in the folder windows.old/users to thispc/documents) without realising I was in as a temporary user, on rebooting it logged me as a normal user and I can't find those documents anywhere at all. I fear they have gone for good, some backed up and the ones which are not are my fault.

Thanks in advance. Andy

:)

andysmart1, Jan 3, 2016

2. Logging in as temporary user - Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when thingsd ont work the way it should.

This problem occurs if the current user's profile was accidentally deleted from the system.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added
    protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry

1. Log on to the system by using an administrative user account other than the user account that is experiencing the problem.

2. Back up all data in the current user's profile folder if the profile folder still exists, and then delete the profile folder. By default, the profile resides in the following location:

%SystemDrive%\Users\UserName

3. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

4.Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

5.Under the ProfileList subkey, delete the subkey that is named SID.bak.

Note SID is a placeholder for the security identifier (SID) of the user account that is experiencing the problem. The SID.bak subkey should contain a ProfileImagePath registry entry that points to the original profile folder of the user account that is experiencing
    the problem.

6. Exit Registry Editor.

7. Log off the system.

8. Log on to the system again.

Here is an article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/947242

Hope this information is helpful. Please reply with the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Logging in as temporary user - Windows 10

The article link doesn't work.

I am in a TEMP folder, but my original folder is still there. Is there a way to edit the registry to point to it?

Thank you.

MarleneHerself, Jan 3, 2016
Thema:

Logging back in as temporary user

1. Logging back in as temporary user - Similar Threads - Logging temporary user

2. Temporary user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Temporary user profile: How do I change a temporary profile to a permanent one so that I don't lose settings and data every time I close down? I tried A. User's instruction but I got stuck at the net user administrator /active:yes command. This started when I tried to block certain websites by...
  3. I'm being logged in on a temporary log in.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I'm being logged in on a temporary log in.: I'm working on a Sony Vaio running Windows 10. Over the last couple of days, when l log on I'm taken to a temporary log in. I've followed the advice to go into safe area and restart without any luck. I've also tried going into registry to delete what could be a damaged user...
  4. I'm being logged in on a temporary log in.

in Windows 10 Support
    I'm being logged in on a temporary log in.: I'm working on a Sony Vaio running Windows 10. Over the last couple of days, when l log on I'm taken to a temporary log in. I've followed the advice to go into safe area and restart without any luck. I've also tried going into registry to delete what could be a damaged user...
  5. Sync , log in on temporary

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sync , log in on temporary: How do I log in! It says I’m logged in with a temporary profile. When I try to sync. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sync-log-in-on-temporary/b09fadba-febd-4341-ac5b-f747c5213496
  6. Domain user getting a temporary profile when logging on a workstation

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Domain user getting a temporary profile when logging on a workstation: One of the domain user is getting logged onto a temporary profile on any workstation that they log onto. I have checked the registry and removed the corrupted user profile. Ensured that the user profile was deleted. Also performed a sfc and dism. DISM fails when you do a scan...
  7. Temporary Profile Log In

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary Profile Log In: When I log in I get a pop up that says I am logging in with a temporary profile and I can't access my Microsoft Office documents. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temporary-profile-log-in/ba82d217-0ff4-477c-bf11-1f7d7ff01c1b"
  8. You've been logged in as a temporary user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    You've been logged in as a temporary user: I have looked for a post on this but can't find one with an answer, so apologies for the multi-post! i've done an upgrade install of win10 from 8.1, and from a hardware PoV all is running smoothly. The only issue is I can't access any of my old user files or settings....
  9. Windows 10 Update - Logged in as a temporary user

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Update - Logged in as a temporary user: Hello! I upgraded to Windows 10 on 4/21 around 2:30pm. I let them computer sit and do the upgrade all day. I came back to the computer around 8pm that night and noted the upgrade was apparently complete. However all of my files, pictures, settings, were gone. I had saved...
  10. Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows How to Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows When signs in to the new account for the first time. A sign in to Windows. A user's profile folder also contains...