Windows 10: Logical drive split on hard drive. What's up?

Discus and support Logical drive split on hard drive. What's up? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have not run into this before and cannot find it discussed in the forums or internet. One of the physical data hard drives on my computer has two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by htnelson, Jul 2, 2016.

1. htnelson Win User

Logical drive split on hard drive. What's up?

I have not run into this before and cannot find it discussed in the forums or internet.

One of the physical data hard drives on my computer has two partitions. Two logical drive (F and G) as defined by the OS (Windows 10 pro). This is a 500gb HDD that is only about 50% full.

When I look with windows explorer I see drive F and drive G accurately described with the appropriate data and correct used/freespace on each partition/logical drive.

When I look with windows disk manager or other disk manager program the physical drive map shows logical drive F split in half with logical drive G sitting in between the two halves of logical drive F. The total used/freespace for each logical drive is correct.

I assume that somehow this is due to the physical position of the data sectors on the hard drive. I have never seen this before. How did it happen? Would running defrag on the drive return this to a more normal configuration? Is this a common finding?

:)

htnelson, Jul 2, 2016

2. Elimenating Dual Boot

Thank you. I was able to successfully change boot options to only boot up windows 10. Now I have another question. I want to eventually get back the space by merging the partitions and making the hard drive a single logical partition. The computer in question
    originally had Windows 7 installed, and when Windows 10 was released, I split the hard drive into two logical partitions, and installed Windows 10. Is it possible to figure out what system files should be transferred to the Windows 10 partition before I delete
    the contents of the Windows 7 partition? Thank you

Howard Yager, Jul 2, 2016
  3. Drive Error D : \ "is not accessible. the parameter is incorrect"

Tired the suggestion, no solution. Please note this is not an external drive. It is a logical drive on my hard disk and it does have bitlocker running on it.

thanks for the suggestions, let me know what is next.

CamJohnston, Jul 2, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Post a screenshot of Disk Manager showing the issue.

LMiller7, Jul 2, 2016
  5. htnelson Win User
    I will do when I get to that computer

htnelson, Jul 2, 2016
  6. htnelson Win User
    Here is windows explorer screenshot

Logical drive split on hard drive. What's up? [​IMG]

Here is disk manager screen shot

What do you think?

htnelson, Jul 2, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    We can't see the screenshots posted as https:// links.

NavyLCDR, Jul 2, 2016
  8. htnelson Win User

Sorry. First time sending screen shots for me. Here they are extracted from the email I sent myself. They showed up on the preview posting.

htnelson, Jul 2, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have a dynamic disk set up. You can just leave it that way. Or you will have to copy all the data off the entire physical disk (both drive letters) and then convert it to a basic disk:

Change a Dynamic Disk Back to a Basic Disk

NavyLCDR, Jul 2, 2016
  10. htnelson Win User
    Thanks for the reply. It works fine and I will just leave it. I am not an IT professional but have been an involved amatuer since the mid 80s and had not seen this before. I just checked the computers around the house and out of over a dozen HDs in use this is the only dynamic one. I realized I don't know the difference but will research the subject

htnelson, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Logical drive split on hard drive. What's up? - Similar Threads - Logical drive split

2. Split hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Split hard drive: I have a 1tb drive with two partitions.While trying to resize the partitions I finished up with two partitions labeled "F:"File explorer sees one 1tb partition but the disk manager in control panel, sees two partitions of about 500mb each.I have tried various partition...
  3. Split hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Split hard drive: I have a 1tb drive with two partitions.While trying to resize the partitions I finished up with two partitions labeled "F:"File explorer sees one 1tb partition but the disk manager in control panel, sees two partitions of about 500mb each.I have tried various partition...
  4. Split hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. What are logical drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are logical drives?: What are logical drives? What are they for? And why should I use them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-logical-drives/62da9feb-99cb-42a3-ba02-f03622540c0f
  6. What are logical drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are logical drives?: What are logical drives? What are they for? And why should I use them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-logical-drives/62da9feb-99cb-42a3-ba02-f03622540c0f
  7. What are logical drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Hard drive split in two?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive split in two?: Hello. I had recently installed Ubuntu 19.04 alongside Windows 10. Now I wanted to uninstall it, so I followed the existing tutorials on the internet. However only Ubuntu was deleted but the virtual drive was still not deleted. The funny thing is that the virtual drive is...
  9. Is it possible to split a Windows installation across hard drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to split a Windows installation across hard drives?: Just curious if this is possible, in basically the same way that one can do it in Linux. I just have a little idyllic scenario in my head where my Windows system folder is on a small NVMe drive, my Program Files folders are on a separate SSD of some kind, and my Users...
  10. What is the Best Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 News
    What is the Best Hard Drive?: It was one year ago that I first blogged about the failure rates of specific models of hard drives, so now is a good time for an update. At Backblaze, as of December 31, 2014, we had 41,213 disk drives spinning in our data center, storing all of the data for our unlimited...