Windows 10: Login Failures After Log Off/Lock/Sleep

Discus and support Login Failures After Log Off/Lock/Sleep in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Upgrade to Win10Pro from Win7Pro. System is set to use secure logon with Cntrl-Alt-Del in conjunction with Yubikey. It is also set to require login... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by cjamt, Aug 1, 2015.

1. cjamt Win User

Login Failures After Log Off/Lock/Sleep

Upgrade to Win10Pro from Win7Pro. System is set to use secure logon with Cntrl-Alt-Del in conjunction with Yubikey. It is also set to require login after going to sleep or hibernate. Attempts to login inevitably fail after locking workstation or waking from sleep/hibernation. First error is usually Remote procedure call failed. Sometimes it says that it does not recognize credentials. Second and third attempts are usually The handle is invalid. After the third attempt, the system restarts. Getting logged back in usually requires 2 to 3 restarts.

Am I the only one with this problem? Is there some setting somewhere that needs changing? Or, is it a bug that needs fixing with an update?

Please let me know if you have discovered a solution to this problem.

:)

cjamt, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Redaun Win User

Login Screen Only Working After Restart

Whenever I boot up my computer or wake it from sleeping, the lock screen will appear, but clicking to bring up the login screen only gives me a blank login background with only the wifi, accessibility, and power options available in the corner. The account
    picture and password box just never show up.

Restarting the computer does not have this problem (whether from the desktop or the login screen, both work fine), and I am able to log in after that, but waking from sleep or booting from being powered off still do not work, and then I have to restart it
    again in order to log in.

If I sleep the computer immediately after restarting (and before logging in), then waking it does work normally, but as soon as I have logged in, sleeping and waking brings back the issue.

I have tried using the netplwiz options to both not require a login and alternatively to require hitting ctrl-alt-del in order to login. The latter option changed nothing, and the former option just caused an endless loading screen every time.

I think this started happening after the first update following the anniversary update, but I'm not entirely sure. I haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem. It isn't getting in the way of anything in particular, since I can still log in
    by restarting, but it's been bothering me since around that time, and it's getting very annoying.

Redaun, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Zenilogix Win User
    Problem: Windows 10 reverts to blank screen immediately after displaying lock screen. What's happening?

I have Windows 10 Pro running on a laptop, docked with desktop extended over two additional monitors. Power management set to leave computer on but turn display off after 10 minutes.

Steps to reproduce:

Begin with laptop powered off.

Power on the laptop, leave long enough for power management to turn screen off.

"Wake" laptop by moving mouse or pressing a key.

System behavior:

Laptop display briefly displays lock/log-in screen (not more than a second or two), but screen then goes blank/black. At this point, laptop remains powered, but seems unresponsive to keyboard input. On some occasions, the mouse pointer will be visible on
    the monitors, on other occasions not; in either case, all displays are off/black/blank - no desktop, no lock or log-in screen appear on any of them.

Recovery:

Have been able to recover by pressing power button (put computer to sleep), and then wake computer from sleep. Upon waking, lock/log-in screen displays as expected, long enough to allow log-in. Have observed that this may require more than one attempt (waking
    from sleep intermittently exhibits the same problem behavior).

If user login is performed promptly upon start-up, this problem does not occur (once logged in, can allow computer to power off displays, and upon resuming, the desktop appears as normal (not configured to display a lock screen).

Zenilogix, Aug 1, 2015
  4. elbmek Win User

My only thought on your post is do you really need all that security? Do you always leave it switched on? I have never used hibernation to be fair, I just switch manchine off when heading for bed, or going out for a while. Otherwise it stays on minus monitor as I wont be away that long. I hope you find your answer soon, its beyond my knowledge.

elbmek, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Login Failures After Log Off/Lock/Sleep - Similar Threads - Login Failures Log

2. User logged off or the session is locked?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User logged off or the session is locked?: Hi,Is it possible to identify using the event viewer or other tools if a user logged off from his workstation or he only locked the session?And if the session is locked, how can I distinguish between the user actively locked the session or if the session was locked due to...
  3. User logged off or the session is locked?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User logged off or the session is locked?: Hi,Is it possible to identify using the event viewer or other tools if a user logged off from his workstation or he only locked the session?And if the session is locked, how can I distinguish between the user actively locked the session or if the session was locked due to...
  4. User logged off or the session is locked?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Login screens after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login screens after sleep: When my PC emerges from sleep mode, I am confronted first with a Microsoft Spotlight screen, followed by a login screen. The latter is just a button labeled "Login". I would like to bypass these screens and go straight to my home desktop screen. I've tried the Lockscreen...
  6. Login screens after sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Login screens after sleep: When my PC emerges from sleep mode, I am confronted first with a Microsoft Spotlight screen, followed by a login screen. The latter is just a button labeled "Login". I would like to bypass these screens and go straight to my home desktop screen. I've tried the Lockscreen...
  7. Login screens after sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. After "Sleep" fails to log in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After "Sleep" fails to log in: Have set my Win 10 system to go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity. But on occasions after this time I am not able to log back in. Have to turn off machine 7 start again. is this a known problem? How can I cure it?...
  9. Login after Log off

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Login after Log off: I've already used run > netplwiz to disable the login. It works as expected when I reboot. No password prompt. But if I "log off", it takes me to the lock screen password prompt. So if i want to get in from there, I must enter a password. But if I instead just reboot the...
  10. Set Windows 10 to only sleep when locked or logged off

in Windows 10 Support
    Set Windows 10 to only sleep when locked or logged off: Hello, Is it possible to set my Windows 10 desktop machine to only go to sleep when the machine is locked or logged off? Thanks 96532