Windows 10: Login Identity problem

Discus and support Login Identity problem in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have W10 configured to boot without asking for password. Now for some reason it requires a password. The setup for no password is still the same.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by AllanP, Sep 1, 2015.

1. AllanP Win User

Login Identity problem

I have W10 configured to boot without asking for password. Now for some reason it requires a password. The setup for no password is still the same. However, when it asks for a PW there is another identity for me. I am signed on as ​[EMAIL REMOVED] but there is a duplicate of myself and it is trying to boot with "allan". So I have to click on the [EMAIL REMOVED]profile and fill in the password. The allan identity doesn't show up under user accounts.

:)

AllanP, Sep 1, 2015
  2. Edge3333 Win User

Can only type numbers, not letters, after installing Windows 10

Karthika:

I've done everything you suggested, and I still have the problem.

A few key points:

I have two desktop computers which I upgraded to 10. They use identical usb keyboards and have identical keyboard driver versions installed. One is fine, the other has the problem. The problem only exists on Windows 10 specific functions like Cortana
    and searches done in "Settings" etc. The keyboard functions properly at login, with browsers, Office programs etc. Swapping keyboards does not help.

Edge3333, Sep 1, 2015
  3. Umbrae Win User
    Windows 10 Login Screen not respecting primary display. Identity Issues?

My monitor is already set as my primary display. This does not affect the actually identity of the display. If an application launches and is configured to run on display 1 then if a different display gets assigned as display 1 that application will run
    there regardless of your primary display. This also includes the login page and desktop icons.

The problem is that main display is not respected in all situations like the login screen. To resolve this the os needs to communicate display identity some other way like forcing the primary display to always be 1 or allowing user preference to be set identities.

It is easy to replicate.

1. Setup 2 displays and set display 2 as the main display.

2. Turn off Display 2, Reboot and turn on display 2 after the post.

3. Problem 1: Display 1 (non main display) will display login screen. Display 2 will be blank.

4. Now shutdown and turn off display 1 and restart.

5. Display 2 will now be display 1.

6. Open a program or game on display 2 (now seen as display 1 by windows) and configure desktop icons on it.

7. Shutdown, turn original display 1 back on and restart.

8. Problem 2: desktop icons will now appear on display 1 and previous application will launch on display 1 instead of display 2 which is the main display.

This shows that display identities have some priority over "main display". Or at least something in the os or APIs peg activities to monitors based on its identity, and only use main display when a display preference has not already been set. When identites
    change it confuses which display stuff should launch/show on.

Either displays need a unique, permanent identity regardless of whether other displays are on, or users need a way to setup the preference of which display is identity 1 when more than one monitor is present.

Hope that describes the issue thoroughly.

Umbrae, Sep 1, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Login Identity problem

Did you use netplwiz to set up automatic login?

NavyLCDR, Sep 1, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 1, 2015
  6. AllanP Win User
    Yes I did

AllanP, Sep 1, 2015
  7. AllanP Win User
    OK thanks I'll give it a try. There is one thing I did that maybe affected login. I was messing around in settings and there was an option to change the PC's name which was some weird characters and numbers so I renamed the PC "AllansPC". Could that have been the cause

AllanP, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Login Identity problem

Yep, changing the PC name would cause this. Netplwiz would still use the old PC name causing it to no longer be valid.

Brink, Sep 1, 2015
  9. AllanP Win User
    OK thanks. I was going to restore an earlier image, but tried a reboot and surprise surprise it booted sans PW. Which surprised me because I had Netplwiz opened and for some reason I had no users at all. I'll just r\try another reboot and if it works will mark solved.
    Edit: Solved:Thanks for the help; back in business.

AllanP, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Login Identity problem

1. Login Identity problem - Similar Threads - Login Identity problem

2. Login Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login Problem: Dear Sir, Today i am successful install Linux operating system but unfortunately we not remove 4 digit pin to login to window. When I am start the window show the massage sometime happened and your pin is not available delete to set up your pin again but set up pin again not...
  3. Login problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login problems: Hi Microsoft community,I have recently upgraded my Asus Zenbook Duo from Win10 to Win11 and everything seemed great at first, but now getting two issues when trying to first login.Issue 1. I usually use facial recognition to login and this was working ok for the first few...
  4. Login problem

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login problem: I have trouble login into my pc. I have a microsoft account. When i login it keeps telling me my username and password do not match. Ive tried all the obtion that you guys giving us, but nothing seems to help. Im stuck at the login screen, also i cant set up my in. Message...
  5. Login problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login problem: I have trouble login into my pc. I have a microsoft account. When i login it keeps telling me my username and password do not match. Ive tried all the obtion that you guys giving us, but nothing seems to help. Im stuck at the login screen, also i cant set up my in. Message...
  6. Login problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. verify your identity problem

verify your identity problem: microsoft locked my dad out of his computer after his last windows update. Now he cant get past the opening screen. It keeps asking him to verify his account. Why would this happen? He uses gmail and hardlyever uses his MS account anddoesntremember it. He may have registered...
  8. Login Problems

Login Problems: My profile one of three on windows 10 freezes at the welcome stage and then goes to black screen. When the is pc turned off and restarted and successfully opening another admin profile on checking windows events it shows many errors and warnings and critical error recently...
  9. Login problem

Login problem: Hello everyone, my issue is that I can log in to my Microsoft account online with no problem, however, when I'm trying to log in to my PC running Win 10, I get the "The password is incorrect. Try again." I ran McAfee Security Suite and it found 13 issues ranging from Trojans...
  10. Verify Your Identity. Problem !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Verify Your Identity. Problem !: My W10 install has asked for verification of identity. No problem except that my recovery info (an email address) is out of date. Here is what has happened, 1/ W10 asks for verification. 2/ The yahoo account asked for doesn't now exist and so I worked through the...