Windows 10: Login screen changed and password changed after verification

Discus and support Login screen changed and password changed after verification in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My Login screen used to have only my name on it and yesterday after clicking on "Verify" and going thru several screens and rebooting, I noticed that... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dlwmacgregor, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Login screen changed and password changed after verification

My Login screen used to have only my name on it and yesterday after clicking on "Verify" and going thru several screens and rebooting, I noticed that my name and Hotmail address are both on my Login screen and the Windows 10 password has been changed to my Hotmail password.
    What happened?

:)

dlwmacgregor, Aug 19, 2015

2. Login screen has changed and password not being accepted

Hello,

Thank you for providing us the opportunity to assist you.

As per the issue description you are unable to login on Windows 10 computer. If you are using Microsoft account and unable to login with that account then I would suggest you to try the steps provided by
    Cliff N in the thread mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Why can’t I sign into Windows 8 with my Microsoft
    Account?

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Login screen has changed and password not being accepted

Have been using Windows 10 successfully for about 3 days and have restarted several times. Restarted my computer this morning just to refresh and clear out. I get the picture of the day but then when I click I get a different login screen than I've been
    getting. The old login screen had my account and the guest account as options. Now it's a different background (blue background with the Windows 10 logo) and just shows my account without my picture as an option. When I put in my password it tells me it's
    incorrect. Shows me my hint which is correct but to no avail. Doesn't give me the option to switch accounts just the three icons in the lower right--internet connect, ease of access, shut down. Didn't make any system changes since last restart. Any ideas?

randonneur15, Aug 19, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Login screen changed and password changed after verification

You have changed your log-in from a local account to a Microsoft account. That is what you were doing when you verified and clicked through several screens.

WhyMe, Aug 19, 2015
  5. OK understood.
    How do I undo it?

6. WhyMe Win User
    WhyMe, Aug 19, 2015
  7. Thank you but it won't let me use my previous name. I had to edit my name to make it different from the one I originally used. And what's weird is that on the C: drive under Users the Folder is still named after my old name, not the new one. I also wonder if this new name is a Local Administrator account like it was before.

8. WhyMe Win User

If you go to your account screen via settings, it'll display under the account name whether it's an administrator account.

WhyMe, Aug 19, 2015
  9. Harpert Win User
    Microsoft want's us all, like the Apple users, to be on-line and to share everything with everybody and specially with Microsoft.
    Logging in using a Microsoft account gives you the advantage that if you store your data on One-drive, that data is "always" available to the user.
    Of course you should keep in mind that this data is not just accessibel by YOU, but also by the NSA / CIA etc etc.

My advise:
    login using a local account.... delete the Microsoft account on your PC.
    Keep your data as safe as possible

Make sure to create a System Repair Disk and do weekly backups to a NAS or similar

Good luck

Harpert, Aug 19, 2015
  10. The Settings say it is an Administrator Account.

11. Why can't I use the same Local Account Name as before?

12. WhyMe Win User
    Just tried to replicate on my test rig, but not successful as I'm not coming up with your user account issue. Mine is working perfectly.

Is the account disabled? Have a check in "Computer Management" to confirm.
    • Go to Local Users and Groups > Users
    • If your missing account is listed as a user then right click on it and select properties
    • On the "General" tab, make sure that the account is neither disabled or locked and untick those boxes if they are set wrong.
    • On the "Member of" tab, make sure that the account is listed as a member of the Administrator group.
    • If you have made any changes during this process, then make sure you click "Apply" before closing the dialog

WhyMe, Aug 19, 2015
  13. Login screen changed and password changed after verification

What if I renamed the account from Douglas to Doug, which is what it was originally?

It is not disabled or locked.
    It is a member of the Administrator Group.

14. Microsoft Support in India is really thick.
    They don't understand a thing.

15. WhyMe Win User
    Look, this is solvable but it may take time to get there unless someone else who solved this issue drops by.

To be honest, it may be quicker to either
    • restore your old Win7 and perform the upgrade again
    • do a Win10 Reset
    • do a full Win10 clean install
    Have you done a backup of your system before starting the upgrade process? If you have, then personally I would do a clean install, restoring any important files, documents, photos, videos music, games etc from the backup as required.

WhyMe, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Login screen changed and password changed after verification - Similar Threads - Login screen changed

2. Suddenly password login changed to pin?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suddenly password login changed to pin?: Has anyone else experienced an overnight update to windows 10 only to find your once password login is gone and now it is asking for a pin? I have never set up my device for a pin login. I am not a super tech so I keep things easy. The pin log in does not have a forgot pin...
  3. Laptop login password change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop login password change: Hello, I have been trying for ninety minutes to change my password. I have changed my windows account password four times in the process. I do not want to change my windows account password, I want to change the key I use to log in to my computer. It is not a local account....
  4. Cannot login or change password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot login or change password: Hello. A few weeks ago I bought a new PC - a laptop - it will eventually replace my Desktop machine. Both run windows 10. At the moment I am still using the desktop PC some of the time. Today, when I try to login to my user account on the desktop, the password is refused....
  5. Changing the microsoft account password doesn't change the windows login password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing the microsoft account password doesn't change the windows login password?: Hi, Here is the case, I use RD Client all the time and accidentally I signed in using a someone else's computer yesterday and I strongly believe that I stored my credentials to connect to my computer. But today I wanted to change the account password so what I went...
  6. Yahoo password change and login prompts

in Browsers and Email
    Yahoo password change and login prompts: I'm trying to help someone with an Iphone 8+. It all started with trying to send a webpage to email from Safari. It says you need to login to Yahoo before it can proceed. But Yahoo is already logged into. At the same time numerous unauthorized account key login confirmation...
  7. Login Password changed to microsoft account password

Login Password changed to microsoft account password: I have been using the same password to login to my computer for 3 years and I have not changed any settings or logged into the Microsoft store. I have updated my pc many times and still used the same password but after putting to sleep it wants to use my microsoft account...
  8. Login Screen Changed

Login Screen Changed: Hello - all of a sudden one of my Windows 10 machines no longer saves my user id upon login. I see two options on the lower left hand side of the screen 1)local or domain accounts 2) microsoft account password. Prior to this, the login screen always showed my microsoft...
  9. Change Login screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Login screen.: Hello: I've been trying to change the login and lock screens of my windows 10 install. i managed to change the login screen background using a tool found in these forums but now my name in the login screen is too big and it overlaps badly with my background My screen has...
  10. Changed Microsoft Account Password Does not Change PC Login Password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changed Microsoft Account Password Does not Change PC Login Password: I have three Win 10 PC's (desktop, laptop, Surface) that all have the admin login account set up through a common Microsoft Hotmail account. I changed to a new password on my Hotmail account, but the old Hotmail password is still used for logins to my three PC's. How do I...