Windows 10: Login Screen Question

Discus and support Login Screen Question in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; There has to be a way of accomplishing what I want to do, but so far, I haven't found it. I have two Windows 10 Pro towers set up for my in-laws. Each... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by DeaconFrost, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Login Screen Question

There has to be a way of accomplishing what I want to do, but so far, I haven't found it. I have two Windows 10 Pro towers set up for my in-laws. Each one is full updated, and has 6 total local user accounts. One is the password protected Administrator account. The remaining 5 are members of the family, none with passwords. It goes against my better judgement, but they want to do this to allow everyone easy access.

When you boot the tower, it automatically logs in to one user account, User1 (for example). To get to any other accounts, you have to log out, and choose the user.

How or why can't I get Windows 10 to stop at the login screen and let them click on the desired user? I have tried enabling the CRL+ALT+DEL option, but once you type the three finger salute, it automatically logs in to the User1 account. Is there a third-party app that will handle this?

:)

DeaconFrost, Mar 26, 2018
  2. Pong3 Win User
    Pong3, Mar 26, 2018
  3. Can't sign in after Windows 10 reinstall

I gave up on the command prompt idea because I'm figuring, if I can sign into the command prompt part of troubleshooting, but not my login screen, using my old password; and I can change my online Microsoft password from my login screen using WiFi, not Ethernet,
    it means my login screen is communicating with Microsoft, but not with my computer.

Question: How do I get my computer to pay attention to my login screen?

Any ideas?

Patricia Marie M, Mar 26, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Login Screen Question

The only sure way I've found goes against what the folks want, have to create a password for each User whether as a Standard user or a User with Administrative rights. By default at installation the actual Administrator is hidden, has a few more 'rights' than a User with administrative rights.

Berton, Mar 26, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    Just give each user a simple password e.g. their name or single letter such as "a". Each user should use more secure password for privacy really.

cereberus, Mar 26, 2018
  6. I'm done trying to persuade them to use passwords. Some of the users are young children that use the computer, so I somewhat get the defense. I enabled the Admin account and password protected it, so when or if they ruin the computer with malware, I still have a protected account to use.

I'm just in utter disbelief that I can't find a way to have the system halt at a User screen for logins.

7. cereberus Win User
    As the admin account, do not give them any option. Even a young child can enter their name. It really is not too early to teach the youngsters good practice.

You might want to consider setting the install from Store only option which much reduces the risk of malware. As admin, you can then install win32 apps as required (flipping option off temporarily). Unlike the new S versions, the install option only stops win32 stuff being installed. It does not stop you executing stuff already installed.

cereberus, Mar 26, 2018
  8. Login Screen Question

Believe me, I understand the password debate. I'm 22 years into my IT career 15 spent as a Network Admin. You learn to pick your battles with family. They've been made fully aware of the risks, so I'm moving on.

There has to be a way to enable the User Screen.

9. Berton Win User
    I have, a couple of times or more, done it by having 1 User set with Administrative Rights using a Microsoft Account with a password and a second Standard User without a password, did give a choice at logon.

Berton, Mar 26, 2018
  10. Hmmm, that's a possibility. I could use my MS account or have my brother-in-law create one to use with his user account.

11. Bree New Member
    If the users don't want passwords, the only way I know is to configure the auto-login to use a blank username (my preferred option), an account that doesn't exist, or an account that does, but give it an incorrect password. See this reply...

Windows 10: How to Disable Automatic Login After 1709 (post #4)

12. cereberus Win User
    The evil thing to do is backup all the individual private files safely elsewhere, then delete them and when they complain, tell them one of the family members must have deleted them and had they had a password, this would not have happened. Stand by and watch the fireworks *chuckle.

Of course, it is easy for me to say that as I live on my own - LOL.

cereberus, Mar 26, 2018
  13. Login Screen Question

I've gotten to the point where I blame everything on a virus. After a storm, their router needed to be reset. Yep, a virus did that. I'm debating on blaming a printer out of ink message on a virus, but they might not fall for it.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Login Screen Question

1. Login Screen Question - Similar Threads - Login Screen Question

2. Computer login question.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Computer login question.: If the Microsoft account linked to my computer was compromised, and I can't remember the password to my computer, is it possible to factory reset it? I know My buddy factory reset his computer, but needed the current Microsoft account info/passwordAdditionally, if my email...
  3. Login Method question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login Method question: How to log in into my OS that log in wiuh the pin created with a Micrsoft Account i logged in with password when i iwas installing; without pin or password; my os is a Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 latest updated until today 14:35 Bogta -5 UTC zone hour time...
  4. Login Method question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Login Method question: How to log in into my OS that log in wiuh the pin created with a Micrsoft Account i logged in with password when i iwas installing; without pin or password; my os is a Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 latest updated until today 14:35 Bogta -5 UTC zone hour time...
  5. Calendar & Mail Login Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Calendar & Mail Login Question: Is the calendar and mail login one in the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/calendar-mail-login-question/c027cf42-c89c-403f-9e99-53fe9dd86c0e
  6. Question about auto login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about auto login: Hi! I got 3 user accounts on my Windows10 desktop. 1 admin and 2 standart users. Is it possible to make windows auto login to my account (standart user with password) but still stay on login screen and require password to reach the desktop? submitted by /u/Erfid [link]...
  7. Login Questions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login Questions: I just purchased a new computer and it will not let me login with my current email address and password. I can on my existing computers, but not on the new one I'm trying to set up. Can I get some help please. Thanks! Jamie Bulger...
  8. Forgotten login password and security questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgotten login password and security questions: Hi, I have forgotten my login and the answers to my security questions. Is there a way to reset my password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotten-login-password-and-security-questions/0c6a2e78-daae-4528-b03a-f856647af051"
  9. Blank screen with no login button on login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Blank screen with no login button on login screen: I turned on my HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 operating system. Usually there was no lock screen but the lock screen was displayed. After I clicked the lock screen, the background just went blank. I think the login screen should be shown. The first photo is the lock...
  10. No login prompt at login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No login prompt at login screen: As can be seen in the picture, sometimes after locking the computer, unlocking is impossible because there is no where to enter the password and the screen is almost empty but the options on the bottom left. Any way to fix that? [img] 63359