Windows 10: Logon very slow every now and then

Discus and support Logon very slow every now and then in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have two computers (and laptop and one desktop) both running Windows 10 build 10586.104 and every now and then the logon process after I entered my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by WebMaximus, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Logon very slow every now and then

I have two computers (and laptop and one desktop) both running Windows 10 build 10586.104 and every now and then the logon process after I entered my credentials takes up to 30 seconds with the 'Welcome' message and the spinning animation showing on the screen. Other times it only takes about 5 seconds before I'm presented by the desktop.

Anyone else seen this or have a clue while the logon process is so slow from time to time?

:)

WebMaximus, Feb 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 slow computer performance: takes 20 min to get login

my laptop battery is no more working ..so due to energy cut off..my laptop turn off directly due to power cut off...& this happen 2-3 times ..after that my windows 10 get slow starting to logon & slow again after login...atleast it take 20-30 minutes...is
    there any solution to fix this.. i am trying to fix this problem with disk defragmentation..

Original title:windows 10 starting very slow after power on & very delay in opening logon screen & after login very slow start up.. overall take 20 minutes

CHANDRAJEET CHAUHAN, Feb 22, 2016
  3. Nokia N8 handset hangs every now and then

Check you have sufficient memory free on C. low memory is often the reason for slow down (clear privacy data from browser) also check you have the latest softwsre !

carman58---01, Feb 22, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Logon very slow every now and then

Have you noticed any pattern with this? For example a shutdown will always start up faster because by default the Fast Start-up process is activated via the shut down and a lot of the system is saved in memory so that it resumes quickly. However, a restart does not trigger this process and so it will always take longer to boot and return to the windows desktop.

philc43, Feb 22, 2016
  5. No, not really. I've seen this both after a restart as well as when doing a cold boot.

WebMaximus, Feb 22, 2016
  6. webdove Win User
    I had noticed that post shutdown logon was faster if I unplugged my network cable
    I saw in system events that winlogon event 7001 "customer experience" was taking many tens of seconds
    I tracked that down to "windows 10" telemetry with google.
    I found page that mentioned settings/privacy/diagnostics was defaulted to "full" and that drove telemetry.
    I changed that setting from "full" to "basic".
    Now the time to logon has dropped to under 10 seconds.
    *Biggrin

webdove, Feb 24, 2016
  7. Thanks for sharing, will check it out!

WebMaximus, Feb 24, 2016
  8. webdove Win User

After switching to basic privacy per my earlier note, the slow logon problem came back.

After some googling I decided to experiment on kaspersky:
    Pause kasperskytotal security 16.0.0.614 ( e )
    Shutdown and restart
    33 second logon
    Shutdown and restart
    4 second logon
    Enable kaspersky
    Shutdown and restart
    287 second logon
    Pause kaspersky
    Shutdown and restart
    5 second logon

I have decided to disable kaspersky before shutdowns for a while since the evidence points there.

Web

webdove, Mar 2, 2016
  9. That's a good catch!

I remember seeing somewhere in Windows where you can see exactly how long each step during the startup/logon takes but can't find it.

Anyone knows what I'm talking about and where to find it?

WebMaximus, Mar 2, 2016
  10. Kodiack Win User
    Do you auto-hide the taskbar, by chance? Win10 has had a bug for months where using that feature can seemingly randomly cause the login process to be much slower.

Kodiack, Mar 2, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    I sometimes have this problem and also have Kaspersky Internet Security 2016. The problem could be due to this. Also see my thread at Slow Login on Occasions?

Steve C, Mar 2, 2016
  12. I'm not using Kaspersky but Avast so in my case it must be something else causing the slow logon.

I also find it strange why I don't see this on every logon if it would be Avast causing the issue since I have that installed and activated all the time.

WebMaximus, Mar 2, 2016
  13. webdove Win User

I would test with antivirus disabled. My results were pretty clear.

webdove, Mar 2, 2016
  14. I tried disabling Avast! and indeed the logon process seemed to be very fast. Still a bit hard to know for sure though since I don't see this problem on every logon but only from time to time.

Anyway I posted a question about this over in Avast! forums so let's see what happens and if someone else running Avast! has experienced the same issue.

WebMaximus, Mar 2, 2016
  15. webdove Win User
    The other thing to bear in mind is that your anti-virus need only be off between shutdown and restart. If you turn it back on after restart you should not have any email or web browsing risk.

webdove, Mar 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Logon very slow every now and then - Similar Threads - Logon very slow

2. Followed directions and now network is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Followed directions and now network is very slow: I followed the command line steps outlined inhttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-slow-upload-speeds/248299c3-5eb5-47bb-9359-9c690c3e5cd3Objective was to get my upload speed improved. That did not happen. Thread is closed, so cannot contact the...
  3. Followed directions and now network is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Followed directions and now network is very slow: I followed the command line steps outlined inhttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-slow-upload-speeds/248299c3-5eb5-47bb-9359-9c690c3e5cd3Objective was to get my upload speed improved. That did not happen. Thread is closed, so cannot contact the...
  4. file transfer now very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file transfer now very slow: File transfer now very slow even via the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-now-very-slow/06df8794-a638-4393-8dad-73583053aa49
  5. file transfer now very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file transfer now very slow: File transfer now very slow even via the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-now-very-slow/06df8794-a638-4393-8dad-73583053aa49
  6. file transfer now very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Very slow logon process

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Very slow logon process: My laptop runs Windows 10 Home, version 1909, Build 18363.815. After last April Win10 updates, all of a sudden, the winlogon process has been changed fron seconds to minutes. Please advise....
  8. Windows 10 logon very slow PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 logon very slow PC: Hello, since March 13th the Windows logon takes very long between 15 and 40 seconds Before that the logon always took about 5 seconds. I take these values from the event viewer, here are some excerpts from the last days: <Data Name="MainPathBootTime">20443</Data> <Data...
  9. Very slow logon time.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very slow logon time.: Hello All, My users are experiencing a very slow logon that can last between 5 to 12 minutes, it normally gets stuck on a black screen but it always finish the logon process. This issue is intermittent and this is making things harder. I have a mix environment of laptops...
  10. Slow logon

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow logon: My Win 10 installation boots fine and fast, but once I've entered my password it sits there for another 10 seconds - longer than the boot - before the desktop arrives, which is really annoying. Is that the way it is, or is there anything I could try to change it? 22131