Windows 10: Long Black Screen before Boot

Discus and support Long Black Screen before Boot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Excellent. Yes Brink's tutorial provide a lot of information. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Long Black Screen before Boot

Excellent.

Yes Brink's tutorial provide a lot of information.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018

2. At some point in the past month or so, my laptop has started taking a much longer time to boot. Specifically, I get a black screen that lasts for anywhere from 10-15 seconds before the boot logo even shows up. I'm pretty sure the screen isn't actually even on while this is happening. At first I thought it was something to do with my GPU drivers, so I uninstalled them and tried booting again, but the exact same thing happened. My laptop hasn't always been like this. It used to boot completely normally, with the boot logo showing up right after I hit the power button. I have an SSD, so it doesn't take long at all once the screen actually shows up. Can someone help me troubleshoot this? I filled out my laptop's information in my profile, but if there's any other information I can provide, please let me know.

:)

Kurausukun, Apr 22, 2018
  3. Long boot start / black screen before login

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated. 

If you are unable to boot the computer to the start screen, follow the steps given below.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the devices connected to the computer except keyboard and mouse and check if you are able to boot to the start screen.

Method 2:

If the computer fails to boot, try performing safe mode and perform clean boot.

Step 1:

Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Press and hold the
    shift key while clicking on Restart at the login Screen (Bottom right corner).

[*]Select Troubleshootand click on
    Advanced Options.

[*]Select Startup Settingsand click on
    Restart.

[*]After restarting, choose Enable Safe modewith networking.

If the issue does not persists in Safe Mode, then perform a Clean Boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as Clean Boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Step 2

Put the computer in Clean Boot and check if it helps.

By setting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a Clean Boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After Clean Boot troubleshooting step, refer to "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with Clean Boot" from the article.

Method 3: You may try to boot from the Windows 10 media and try performing an Automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 10 computer follow these steps:

a) Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer

b) Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

c) Click Next and select Repair your computer.

d) You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option
    Troubleshoot
    and select Advanced options.

e) You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

You may refer to the below link to download the ISO and create the installation media:

Download Windows 10

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Apr 22, 2018
  4. Long Black Screen before Boot

Long boot start / black screen before login

Hello, today I updated Windows 7 to 10 . After configuring the system, I decided to restart it. During startup, the Windows logo is displayed for about 5 seconds, then black screen for half a minute
    ... which is pretty damn annoying. Then login screen (automatic login ) and after 10 seconds desktop. Overall, the system boots 3 times longer than the old Win Seven ... So my question is , what to do in order to eliminate black screen when booting? It's probably
    not normal that the system starts up for so long ... I have little application and order in the system , so it should boot fast like a Ferrari . This black screen would lead me to depression , so please help . I updated my Radeon drivers but no changes.

DamianOrłowski, Apr 22, 2018
  5. Hi Kurausukun. Welcome to the TenForums @Kurausukun

Is this long black screen visible when you restart or when you power up or both?

When you uninstalled you GPU drivers did you delete software and then load the most recent driver from Nvidia?

What build are you on? Windows key + R, type winver, enter.

If you look at windows update history, at the bottom it list drivers it updated, were your Nvidia drivers updated? Any other drivers in last month.?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 23, 2018
  6. Winver tells me I'm on version 1709, build 16299.371.

The black screen actually doesn't happen if I just restart, it's only when powering on from a full power off. Also, it doesn't seem to happen when I force shutdown the computer by holding the power button.

When I uninstalled my graphics drivers, I did exactly what you described--I made sure everything was uninstalled, tried booting, and when it didn't do anything, I reinstalled the latest drivers.

Windows update doesn't list any graphics driver updates (which makes sense, I install my graphics drivers manually). The only other things that were updated in the past few months were my trackpad driver and what I believe to be either my NIC or Bluetooth adapter (it just says Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc. - Net).

Thanks for the help.

Kurausukun, Apr 23, 2018
  7. Sound like it is related to Windows Fast Startup. I would first recommend trying to shut it off.

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

If that doesn't work you can try disabling hibernation.

To a command prompt(admin) or powershell(admin)

powercfg -h off

To enable change the off to on

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 24, 2018
  8. Long Black Screen before Boot

Thanks a lot for the advice--I've worked out the problem. A while back I turned off hibernation using powercfg because I didn't want a 16GB file sitting around my hard drive, but I didn't know that fast startup used hibernate. Now that I've turned hibernate back on, Windows is back to booting quickly again. Thanks for the help.

Kurausukun, Apr 24, 2018
Thema:

Long Black Screen before Boot

1. Long Black Screen before Boot - Similar Threads - Long Black Screen

2. Long black screen before starts to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long black screen before starts to boot: My problem is that a computer, after restart, shows a black screen for 109 seconds, then it starts to boot, which only takes 15 seconds.It is a long story of how I got to this point, but I reinstalled Windows 10, taking the factory reset, to try to fix it, but that didn't fix...
  3. Long black screen before starts to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Long black screen before starts to boot: My problem is that a computer, after restart, shows a black screen for 109 seconds, then it starts to boot, which only takes 15 seconds.It is a long story of how I got to this point, but I reinstalled Windows 10, taking the factory reset, to try to fix it, but that didn't fix...
  4. Long black screen before starts to boot

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Long Black screen before boot in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long Black screen before boot in Windows 10: Hi, whenever I power on my computer, there is a long black screen that lasts around 20 seconds before it cuts to the HP logo and the spinning wheel thingy below it. It slows down the startup speed quite a bit. I have tried updating my graphics drivers, scanning for viruses,...
  6. Long black screen before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Long black screen before login: Whenever I turn my computer on it will go through the initial boot phases (show the Asus logo, display available drives), but then it just shows a blank monitor (black screen) for about 2 minutes. During this time I don't see my cursor, no keyboard button combination does...
  7. Long black screen before bios

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long black screen before bios: Hey everyone! So a while back after doing a Windows 10 update I noticed that my pc was taking a LONG time to boot past the bios. Id turn it on go make a coffee and about 4 minutes later Id hear a beep from it loading. My system is about 10 years old but it's an...
  8. Windows 10 Long Time Booting black screen Before Login Screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Long Time Booting black screen Before Login Screen: Windows 10 Long Time Booting black screen Before Login Screen. This happened after upgrade windows 10, but when I uninstalled the updates still the same, any ideas? How to solve it?...
  9. Unusually long black screen on boot before log-in screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unusually long black screen on boot before log-in screen: Two days ago I had a total system crash, my entire OS froze and I was forced to turn off the machine. Ever since then when booting there is a black screen that hangs for about 8 seconds, then everything proceeds as normal. I wouldn't be so bothered if the OS was installed...
  10. Long boot start / black screen before login WIN10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long boot start / black screen before login WIN10: Hello, today I updated Windows 7 to 10 . After configuring the system, I decided to restart it. During startup, the Windows logo is displayed for about 5 seconds, then black screen for half a minute ... which is pretty damn annoying. Then login screen (automatic login ) and...