Windows 10: Long delay before login.

Discus and support Long delay before login. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just installed Windows 10 on my fathers laptop. Did an upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. Then did a clean install. Same issue. On boot up I see the HP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alphanumeric, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Long delay before login.

Just installed Windows 10 on my fathers laptop. Did an upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. Then did a clean install. Same issue. On boot up I see the HP BIOS Logo, then the Windows logo with the spinning dots. Then the screen goes blank, just the backlight for almost 2 full minutes. Then I finally see the logon screen and it goes to the desktop. Legacy BIOS with legacy install of Windows 10 Pro latest edition offered up by the Media Creation tool. No such issue with Windows 8.1. Local account with no password. << Just temporary while I get it all setup for him. I can see some occasional hard drive activity while its on the blank screen. Device manager doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. No unknown devices etc. Ran Windows update several times and it shows as all up to date. It's an HP DV7 something laptop (have to go find my bifocals to read it) that shipped with Windows 7.
    Just looking for ideas as to what to check before I go back to Windows 8.1. I did quick forum search but didn't really find anything current.

:)

alphanumeric, Sep 20, 2017
  2. vanbroot Win User

Long delay at the login screen

No, I do not have any of them installed.

vanbroot, Sep 20, 2017
  3. vanbroot Win User
    Long delay at the login screen

When I boot up my laptop there's a long delay before I can type in the password. By long delay, about 1-2 minutes. During this delay, the login screen is blue and is completely unresponsive. I can't click on anything on the screen except for the turn off
    at the bottom. The keyboard appears to be responsive - caps lock/num lock lights go on and off. Sometimes it goes back to the welcome screen with some picture. Then after about 1-2 minutes it suddenly starts working and I can type in my password at which point
    everything appears to work normally.

vanbroot, Sep 20, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Long delay before login.

As I understand it, HP is one of the OEM's affected by this known issue for the KB4038788 Cumulative Update. Microsoft have just added a third item to the list of Known Issues for this update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4038788

5. Thanks Bree, will have a look see at its update history. Then go from there. My delay is about 2 minutes. I'm pretty sure I had this same issue the last time I worked on his laptop, not 100% sure though. I ended up just going with windows 8.1 instead of 10. I likely won't get to it until tomorrow some time. Not feeling the best tonight and plan on just taking it easy. My chronic pain is acting up a bit tonight. I will get back to you at some point though. Thanks again.

alphanumeric, Sep 21, 2017
  6. Comedy of errors, so to speak. Downloaded it from the update catalog and ran it. It went about half way through the install and just stopped? Waited over an hour and no progress. Opened task manager and it was listed with 0% CPU. Clicked cancel and same deal nothing happened. Waited another hour and did a reboot. Ran the update a second time and it immediately jumped to 50% done, where it had been when I forced the reboot. It then completed but said update not completed? Forgot to write down the kb number showing, *Redface So now I'm not sure if it was the whole update or just part of it? I ran it again and it stated it was already installed. Rebooted and still had the long delay. I have now bailed on trying to get Windows 10 installed and went back to Windows 8.1. My Dad is wanting his laptop back asap, its the only PC he owns. Thanks anyway.

7. bro67 Win User
    Did you install a SSD for him in it and get the RAM upgraded if it was still as he got it? I would not be surprised that with it halting that it could be hardware caused. When I have had issues with update, it is the single finger salute I give to kill the machine to reboot it. It would be nice to separate the updater and make it just like Linux, where it runs and if hangs to tell you why it hung up.

Here we go. Audit mode. Manage Windows Update with PowerShell Here is more info on it. Script Windows Update PowerShell Module

I am surprised that we have never come across the PS module after dealing with this headache since Windows 7.

bro67, Sep 21, 2017
  8. Long delay before login.

It boots fine with no delay in Windows 7 and 8.1. It's only in Windows 10 that it stalls with the blank screen. If it was mine I'd spend more time sorting it out. He wants it back asap so I'm not spending to much time on it. I already reinstalled Windows 8.1, just running updates now. Then it's install Office etc. My Dad doesn't really care if its 8.1 or 10, as long as its usable. All he does in Internet and e-mail. He's used to navigating 8.1 so its just as well I leave it at that.

9. bro67 Win User
    I would just put 7 back on it. If the clocking stops on the boot screen, then most likely it is hardware. You can always try pulling the CMOS battery, which should be replaced at least every three years and then do a bios reset, which could also be what it take.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Long delay before login.

1. Long delay before login. - Similar Threads - Long delay before

2. Small delay before keyboard registers input at login Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Small delay before keyboard registers input at login Windows11: Hey guys,Just upgraded with a fresh install to Windows 11, and I’m noticing that there’s a 5-10 second delay from when I boot to the login screen to when I Windows registers my keyboard input to enter my password. Tried different keyboards, tried another fresh install of...
  3. Windows 11- audio long delay before starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11- audio long delay before starting: After updating to Windows 11 on my 6 month old laptop, my audio files take 20 seconds to start or they do not start at all. This also causes a delay in videos starting whether the file is on my computer or a website. Has anyone else had this issue....
  4. Windows 11- audio long delay before starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11- audio long delay before starting: After updating to Windows 11 on my 6 month old laptop, my audio files take 20 seconds to start or they do not start at all. This also causes a delay in videos starting whether the file is on my computer or a website. Has anyone else had this issue....
  5. Delay before Windows login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delay before Windows login screen: This started recently on both desktop and laptop. I imagine it's some software I either installed or updated, but can't seem to figure it out. After BIOS screen and boot, when display would [normally] immediately go to Windows 10 login, it hangs on black screen (monitors...
  6. Black Screen Delay Before Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen Delay Before Login: **link to video of my issue at bottom** I built my first pc. I upgraded to an aio from an air cooler and after putting everything back together, I get a long black screen before i get to the login screen. It takes almost a minute before i get to the login screen. It used to...
  7. Long black screen with cursor before login

Long black screen with cursor before login: I have recently reinstalled Windows 10, after upgrading my hardware (new motherboard, processor, ram and added sdd), but whenever I start my PC, I get to a point where I have a black screen and a cursor before the login screen. It will get to the login screen at one point,...
  8. Long black screen before login

Long black screen before login: Whenever I turn my computer on it will go through the initial boot phases (show the Asus logo, display available drives), but then it just shows a blank monitor (black screen) for about 2 minutes. During this time I don't see my cursor, no keyboard button combination does...
  9. Long delay before usb will respond after August windows10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Long delay before usb will respond after August windows10 update: Mouse is working on another computer - batteries are new - drivers are current - I've tried on a different usb on this laptop & there's no difference....
  10. Long delay before password entry box is shown on logon screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long delay before password entry box is shown on logon screen.: Laptop with Windows 10 Home 64 bit. This is an old laptop and the CPU benchmark is around 2,000. It has 4 GB of RAM and 5,400 RPM hard drive. It runs most of the errands fine. However, recently it started to slow down significantly at the logon screen. Once it wakes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. long delay before windows login