Windows 10: Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!

Discus and support Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Windows build 1607 Pro X64 GB edition. You CAN access these files when a Samba drive is mounted as network drive but Windows truncates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Aug 3, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!

Hi there

Windows build 1607 Pro X64 GB edition.

You CAN access these files when a Samba drive is mounted as network drive but Windows truncates the names !!!!

Music will play though with VLC etc. But as VLC uses file explorer to browse files you get the ones with the shortened names.

I'm not sure though you would want to copy / move these files from the Windows system with Windows explorer though.

Original files (from Centos VM)

Long file names and shared (Samba) files access  - But !! [​IMG]

File explorer showing from "Attach Network Drive"

Long file names and shared (Samba) files access  - But !! [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 3, 2016
  2. petrib Win User

network browser wlan n95

SymSMB 2.0 from Telexy: http://www.telexy.com (if you want to access Windows/Samba file services/shares).

petrib, Aug 3, 2016
  3. Pin to Quick Access on a Mapped Network Drive

It seems to be a problem with the samba protocol, the problem is only on a NAS running linux. A large majority of NAS are using samba protocol for file sharing, that's a big problem...

boustalahit, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!

1. Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !! - Similar Threads - Long file names

2. File name too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  3. File name too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  4. Deleting file with long file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting file with long file name: I have a file, not a folder, on my desktop that exceeds the 256 limit and I have tried everything on line that I can see to delete it but I am unable to do wo. I cannot move it to a folder, I cannot cut and paste it to the recycle bin, I cannot rename it, I cannot Zip it,...
  5. File name too long

in Windows 10 Support
    File name too long: I run Win10: [img] And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I have enabled in the group policy Win32 long file names: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How can I get rid of...
  6. file name too long

file name too long: how to resolve this issue in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long/783521af-d0ec-410b-826e-67a50a90159c"
  7. Long File Name Crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File Name Crashes: Hi, I appreciate that there are a lot of queries regarding the file names exceeding 260 characters, but when i try to open my folders to rename the files to shorter names I don't get the chance to do this as the window just shuts down again before I can do anything. Is there...
  8. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  9. Problems with Long File Names

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with Long File Names: Hello I'am Tobias and I have a Problem with long File Names on a share, people used to create files and directories in Windows 7, some of them over 300 characters long. That was not a big problem back then. Now we have switched to Windows 10 and we now have a problem with...
  10. Can't access Samba shares on 10049

Can't access Samba shares on 10049: I just reinstalled after I was having issues. Everything seems to be working smoothly, except that I can't access the shares on all but one of my other computers for some reason. Most devices that aren't running either some flavor of Windows or Samba show up just fine. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. samba long file names