Windows 10: Long install time

Discus and support Long install time in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I chose to try the upgrade exe file to install Windows 10 update to Windows 8.1. I started at 5PM. It is now 1015 PM and it's at 25%. I don't dare stop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AllanP, Apr 1, 2015.

1. AllanP Win User

Long install time

I chose to try the upgrade exe file to install Windows 10 update to Windows 8.1. I started at 5PM. It is now 1015 PM and it's at 25%. I don't dare stop it, but have others experienced this?
    I forgot to mention that the upgrade is going on to 5 year old Dell Studio laptop. It passed the Windows 10 test OK.

:)

AllanP, Apr 1, 2015
  2. KirsteyMD Win User

long time to install

I didntt think I had too many files or programmes. I generally store most things on a separate hard drive

KirsteyMD, Apr 1, 2015
  3. WindowsOS Win User
    long time to install

It does take a while. What part is it up too ??

WindowsOS, Apr 1, 2015
  4. Long install time

That seems to be pretty typical. My .esd download took about 2-3 times longer than normal based on the size of the file.

cyberrufus, Apr 1, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    My experience was that it took about 15-20 minutes to download the ESD.. but keep in mind this is my internet connection speed:

Long install time [​IMG]

From then I created an ISO and then I performed a clean instillation of the OS and that took about 30 minutes. So your update time could be a bit slow.. next time try doing the download and create an ISO..

BunnyJ, Apr 1, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    What does the download speed have to do with the install taking over 5 hours for Windows 10 to install from the .exe file?

Winuser, Apr 1, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Well, once you get it downloaded you can create an ISO and do a clean instillation. That's much faster than updating. IMO

BunnyJ, Apr 1, 2015
  8. Dude Win User

Long install time

*Ditto That way is way faster

Dude, Apr 1, 2015
  9. Winuser Win User
    If I'm understanding AllanP correctly he has the .exe file and the install is taking over 5 hours.

Winuser, Apr 1, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
    I wasted 5 hours trying to upgrade to 10049. After the circle got to 100% it stayed that way for about 40 minutes. I rebooted and it start to go into 10049 then started to reinstall my previous 10041. At that point I wiped the drive and bid farewell to Windows 10.

11. badrobot Win User
    The exe file is just like a mini-program that will take care of the upgrade from 8.1 to 10. It's not the Win 10 installer. You would still need to download the Win 10 installer but the program will take care of everything for you. I am thinking, the OP is connected to the internet via Wifi. It will definitely take forever that way.

badrobot, Apr 1, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    From my experience I had the ISO, burdened it to a DVD and performed a clean instillation.. and it took about 30-40 minutes from start to end.

BunnyJ, Apr 1, 2015
  13. badrobot Win User

Long install time

You guys are talking about 2 different things.
    The OP is upgrading online from Win 8.1 by using upgrade method. He is not installing from an ISO.

badrobot, Apr 1, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Ok.. sorry.. my bad. *Wink

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Long install time

1. Long install time - Similar Threads - Long install

2. Install error - 0x80070643 I have been having this error for a long time now, it keeps...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install error - 0x80070643 I have been having this error for a long time now, it keeps...: Install error - 0x80070643 I have been having this error for a long time now, it keeps saying "retry"and fails. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-error-0x80070643-i-have-been-having-this/530fa2fb-e2e6-4b97-8ad9-5734c9c6a33d
  3. Install error - 0x80070643 I have been having this error for a long time now, it keeps...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install error - 0x80070643 I have been having this error for a long time now, it keeps...: Install error - 0x80070643 I have been having this error for a long time now, it keeps saying "retry"and fails. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-error-0x80070643-i-have-been-having-this/530fa2fb-e2e6-4b97-8ad9-5734c9c6a33d
  4. Install error - 0x80070643 I have been having this error for a long time now, it keeps...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 cloud install is taking an extremely long amount of time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 cloud install is taking an extremely long amount of time.: I had some issues with my pc where the startup and shutdown could take up to 10 minutes, so I decided to reinstall windows with a cloud install, however the install has currently been going on for 3 hours and I'm worried if the install is broken. If it is, what should I do?...
  6. Windows 11 cloud install is taking an extremely long amount of time.

Windows 11 cloud install is taking an extremely long amount of time.: I had some issues with my pc where the startup and shutdown could take up to 10 minutes, so I decided to reinstall windows with a cloud install, however the install has currently been going on for 3 hours and I'm worried if the install is broken. If it is, what should I do?...
  7. PowerShell ISE taking too long installing an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PowerShell ISE taking too long installing an app: Hi. I am trying to install a game using PowerShell's "Add-AppxPackage" command. However, it's taking forever. Any fix? I really wanna play this game....
  8. PowerShell ISE taking too long installing an app

PowerShell ISE taking too long installing an app: Hi. I am trying to install a game using PowerShell's "Add-AppxPackage" command. However, it's taking forever. Any fix? I really wanna play this game....
  9. PowerShell ISE taking too long installing an app

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. How long does it take to install windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How long does it take to install windows 11: Himy current pc has 32GB of DDR4 RAM and 512GB of storage also i have a i7 processor with 8 cores. I just want to find out as i have other important things i may have to do...