Windows 10: LONG update with NO notification or progress indicator!!

Discus and support LONG update with NO notification or progress indicator!! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi ALL, I've complained about this before yet MS persists in having Win 10 do very long updates with no notification and no progress indicator. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gerryex, Jul 21, 2017.

1. gerryex Win User

LONG update with NO notification or progress indicator!!

Hi ALL,

I've complained about this before yet MS persists in having Win 10 do very long updates with no notification and no progress indicator. I just got upgraded to the Creator Edition and it took about an hour and succeeded without incident. I've been using it for a day or so and powering down with no problems. But today I turned the PC off and it did NOT say "Shutdown with updates" - it just said "Shutdown." Yet when the blue shutdown screen appeared it quickly changed into the "Getting Windows Ready - Do not turn your computer off" screen with the circling dots. With normal updates eventually a progress percentage appears and ultimately the PC shuts down. Well no progress indicator ever showed up and it stayed on that screen for almost a hour until it shutdown. Very frustrating!!!

Anyone else see this happening when shutting down?

Gerry

:)

gerryex, Jul 21, 2017

2. W10 update stopped during download and never resumes

The download bar indicates a 45% progress and stays in that position. Even after many restarts and long waiting periods there is still no progress. And a Cancel button (like in previous Windows versions) is missing, which I consider as a design error.

So I am stuck and will not be able to receive any more updates, which is unacceptable of course!

I will roll back to W8.1 and perhaps stay there.

fred71112VM, Jul 21, 2017
  3. MrVicke Win User
    Windows 10 update taking long (SEP/2016)

Hi!

I want more info on the screen than just a spinning wheel about the progress of the installation. Auch as "Installation step 1 of 3..."

And how many % of the installation files been processed or a progress bar.

And you (microsoft) can easily add a timer to see if the update have been taking unreasonable long time and also a notification about "please unplug any usb devices such as usbdisk etc during the update"

MrVicke, Jul 21, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

That doesn't sound quite normal. Whenever there's an update requiring a restart I see a modified 'Shutdown and Update' - but then, I use Classic Shell start menu.

True, by default, updates are downloaded, and applied. Those requiring a restart can be delayed and managed using Active Hours (18 hour period in the Creator's build).

Have a look at your Update History and post a screenshot. Is there an update listed at the time you experienced this?
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

I would also suggest the duration of the update might be excessive (an hour for an update - not upgrade) - but then I've also got used to having a SSD.

What sort of disk do you have? (See my specs for comparison- yours just says OS 10).

Try running Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and posting a screenshot of its GUI just to check your disk.

If you want more control of your updates, you can set them to 'Notify and Download' - a convenient way to do this is to use Winaero's free tweaker which gives a full explanation via a URL.

dalchina, Jul 21, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    Yes, I see that sort of thing on just about every cumulative update.
    That is normal. So are inaccurate or non existent progress screens, circling dots and blank screens, restarts etc.

If you want to be notified change your 'Restart options' and active hours to suit.

Helmut, Jul 21, 2017
  6. gerryex Win User
    Here's my update history and the long no-notification update occurred on 7/21. I have an SSD as my main boot drive and where Win 10 sits so my system is rather speedy.

I have seen this many times before but I just keep hoping with each new release of Win 10 it will improve. IT HASN'T! I did change the option so maybe I'll a least get a notification next time.

Gerry

gerryex, Jul 21, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    - your update history shows the 19th, nothing on the 21st...

dalchina, Jul 21, 2017
  8. gerryex Win User

I know!!! That's the point that on the 21st I shut down the PC and there was no notification of any kind that there were ANY updates pending. It went to the blue shutdown screen and then to the "Getting Windows Ready - Do not turn your PC off" screen with the rotating dots and sat there for almost an hour. Later on when I powered back up it went right into Windows. There was no startup phase for any updates.

As I said I've seen this before but this was a real long one and very annoying!!

Gerry

gerryex, Jul 21, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    You're already on the creator's build so it's not an upgrade to that.

Please try the two suggestions I gave you at the end of #2.

dalchina, Jul 21, 2017
  10. gerryex Win User
    Thank for the suggestions but since I've seen this happen before as have others, and since the new Creator's version of Win 10 seems to be working without any problems, I'm going to leave it all alone.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions.
    Gerry

gerryex, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. LONG update with NO notification or progress indicator!! - Similar Threads - LONG update notification

2. No indication of Notifications with new bell icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No indication of Notifications with new bell icon: The latest update has replaced the notification icon with a bell icon that changes to the Accent Colour when there's been a notificationBut if the setting "Show accent color on Start and taskbar" is enabled then the taskbar will be in that colour already and so its impossible...
  3. No indication of Notifications with new bell icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No indication of Notifications with new bell icon: The latest update has replaced the notification icon with a bell icon that changes to the Accent Colour when there's been a notificationBut if the setting "Show accent color on Start and taskbar" is enabled then the taskbar will be in that colour already and so its impossible...
  4. Is it possible to stop an update in progress? Taking too long. Concerned.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to stop an update in progress? Taking too long. Concerned.: HELP!I booted my computer this morning and seconds after Windows started, it told me I needed to reboot to complete an "Update".I rebooted as soon as the normal Startup had completed. I got the usual Black Screen with spinning wheel telling me the update was installing, but...
  5. Is it possible to stop an update in progress? Taking too long. Concerned.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to stop an update in progress? Taking too long. Concerned.: HELP!I booted my computer this morning and seconds after Windows started, it told me I needed to reboot to complete an "Update".I rebooted as soon as the normal Startup had completed. I got the usual Black Screen with spinning wheel telling me the update was installing, but...
  6. notification of update in progress

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    notification of update in progress: Surely there is a method that shows that an update is in progress on the computer making it impossible to use until update and restart have been completed. How to see this notification?...
  7. Update in progress, no update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update in progress, no update: Hi, I have been having some issues with Windows update and I was hoping to get some advice. I have a icon showing that theres a update in progress but when I open the updates it says I am up to date. I have tried restarting Windows update, restarting into safe mode,...
  8. windows reset progress indicator

windows reset progress indicator: is there any way to show a meaningful progress for windows 10 reset, aside from the meaningless spinning dots, ideally a text log that you can activate similarly to linux textual boot screen...
  9. Unexpected update - no notification and no progress indicator

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unexpected update - no notification and no progress indicator: Hi ALL, I have the Win 10 Ann Ed running and the other day a notification came up that updates were ready and a restart was needed. I selected to restart now and it went through its routine including a percentage progress indicator during shutdown, another percentage...
  10. No Progress indicator on latest build downloading status

No Progress indicator on latest build downloading status: Hi there I'm surprised that on downloading the build there's no indication of its current progress or even WHERE it gets downloaded to. I'd like a bit more control over this -- especially on the % download. Cheers jimbo 2580

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update progress indicator