Windows 10: Long wait before seeing login screen, began after power outage.

Discus and support Long wait before seeing login screen, began after power outage. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi guys. I've got a Windows 10 machine, build 15063.0, x64 booting off UEFI on a custom built PC with an ASUS motherboard and AMD processor and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jerusalem, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Jerusalem Win User

Long wait before seeing login screen, began after power outage.

Hi guys. I've got a Windows 10 machine, build 15063.0, x64 booting off UEFI on a custom built PC with an ASUS motherboard and AMD processor and graphics. Until yesterday, whenever I booted up my machine, it would be under 10 seconds from the pressing of the power button to the login screen -- pretty good. However, last night, when I was using my machine, I had a momentary power outage and my machine (obviously) shut off. I turned it back on, and it wouldn't boot, so I booted off my installer USB stick and ran chkdsk on my disk. This resulted in a number of errors being repaired, according to chkdsk.

Next, I ran memory check --- all good.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for graphics cards, run sfc /scannow, run DISM clean up image and defragged my HDD.

Nothing, however, has fixed this problem:

When I turn on my computer, it waits ~30sec to 1 min on a black screen (where I can move a cursor with the mouse) until it will display the login screen. Even when the login screen does appear, it takes a few seconds for the password entry prompt to show up after I click in. None of this occurred before the power outage.

I can confirm that my hardware works otherwise and once I log in, everything works fine.

Anybody got any idea what it could be?

PS --- I have disabled integrated graphics and multi-monitor in bios, turned on and off fast boot and have tried legacy boot mode as well.

:)

Jerusalem, Jun 15, 2017

2. Long boot start / black screen before login

Hello, today I updated Windows 7 to 10 . After configuring the system, I decided to restart it. During startup, the Windows logo is displayed for about 5 seconds, then black screen for half a minute
    ... which is pretty damn annoying. Then login screen (automatic login ) and after 10 seconds desktop. Overall, the system boots 3 times longer than the old Win Seven ... So my question is , what to do in order to eliminate black screen when booting? It's probably
    not normal that the system starts up for so long ... I have little application and order in the system , so it should boot fast like a Ferrari . This black screen would lead me to depression , so please help . I updated my Radeon drivers but no changes.

DamianOrłowski, Jun 15, 2017
  3. Long boot start / black screen before login

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated. 

If you are unable to boot the computer to the start screen, follow the steps given below.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the devices connected to the computer except keyboard and mouse and check if you are able to boot to the start screen.

Method 2:

If the computer fails to boot, try performing safe mode and perform clean boot.

Step 1:

Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Press and hold the
    shift key while clicking on Restart at the login Screen (Bottom right corner).

[*]Select Troubleshootand click on
    Advanced Options.

[*]Select Startup Settingsand click on
    Restart.

[*]After restarting, choose Enable Safe modewith networking.

If the issue does not persists in Safe Mode, then perform a Clean Boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as Clean Boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Step 2

Put the computer in Clean Boot and check if it helps.

By setting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a Clean Boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After Clean Boot troubleshooting step, refer to "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with Clean Boot" from the article.

Method 3: You may try to boot from the Windows 10 media and try performing an Automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 10 computer follow these steps:

a) Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer

b) Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

c) Click Next and select Repair your computer.

d) You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option
    Troubleshoot
    and select Advanced options.

e) You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

You may refer to the below link to download the ISO and create the installation media:

Download Windows 10

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jun 15, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Try setting EnableUlps = 0
    Use regedit and search for EnableUlps ... It's usually located in 2 places in the registry.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
    Close regedit and reboot.

Note: Do NOT change the EnableUlps_NA

Eagle51, Jun 15, 2017
  5. Jerusalem Win User
    Thanks! That worked, now it's all working as it did before.

I actually had like 10 values of that name in the Registry -- one was set to 1, the rest 0. Changed it to 0 and now it works. Go figure.

Jerusalem, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Long wait before seeing login screen, began after power outage. - Similar Threads - Long wait before

2. Power Outage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Outage: Hi, there was a sudden power outage in my area and my PC was shut down. I was able to turn on the PC without issue but when I run DISM it says I have errors?C:\Windows\System32>DISM/sfc /scannow Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.22621.2792 Error: 87...
  3. Trouble after power outage

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Trouble after power outage: Last night we has a short, flicker-type power outage. My computer and my DVR are the only things it shut down. When I turned my computer back on, I first got my lock screen, like normal, then when I clicked to get the sign-in screen, I got a blue screen where I had to sign...
  4. Long black screen with cursor before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Long black screen with cursor before login: I have recently reinstalled Windows 10, after upgrading my hardware (new motherboard, processor, ram and added sdd), but whenever I start my PC, I get to a point where I have a black screen and a cursor before the login screen. It will get to the login screen at one point,...
  5. Stuck on welcome screen after password login or stuck on please wait before password login

Stuck on welcome screen after password login or stuck on please wait before password login: Just started happening after I restarted. No clue of what to do, tried scannow nothing tried deleting a ubisoft launcher. Nothing. submitted by /u/mixedmediums [link] [comments]...
  6. Long black screen before login

Long black screen before login: Whenever I turn my computer on it will go through the initial boot phases (show the Asus logo, display available drives), but then it just shows a blank monitor (black screen) for about 2 minutes. During this time I don't see my cursor, no keyboard button combination does...
  7. Windows10 after power outage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 after power outage: After a power outage, my Windows10 will not reboot properly. I have a back screen with a few limited icons. Recovery under Settings does not eliminate the problem. I cannot access any of my working files. Can anyone help advise please?...
  8. Notifications sound and message won't stop. Began after power outage today.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Notifications sound and message won't stop. Began after power outage today.: We had a power outage today. My computer was on with Windows, an app, and firefox open. When I turned it back on later the notifications sound began bleeping every second. The message was about not recognizing the last USB that had malfunctioned and was not being recognized....
  9. A long wait before DVD RW works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A long wait before DVD RW works: I have a PC from the year 2009 that otherwise works fine with Windows 10 except for my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S burner. When I press the tray button, the tray often either doesn't open or then opens and then closes immediately by itself. It often works after a few presses of...
  10. Long delay before login.

in Windows 10 Support
    Long delay before login.: Just installed Windows 10 on my fathers laptop. Did an upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. Then did a clean install. Same issue. On boot up I see the HP BIOS Logo, then the Windows logo with the spinning dots. Then the screen goes blank, just the backlight for almost 2 full...