Windows 10: "Look for another app on this PC" disappeared

Discus and support "Look for another app on this PC" disappeared in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had Windows 10 Home Edition. Through my university I upgraded to the Educational edition After the update, when I right click on a file and open the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by raffaj, Jul 12, 2017.

1. raffaj Win User

"Look for another app on this PC" disappeared

I had Windows 10 Home Edition. Through my university I upgraded to the Educational edition
    After the update, when I right click on a file and open the "Open With..." dialog, I can only choose one of the apps the dialog proposes or the option "Search in Windows Store for an app". I do not have the option "Look for another app on this PC" to choose a local app on my PC anymore. This happens for ALL file types and all extensions
    This is the same problem reported here , which does not have a definite answer
    I know how to alter the registry file type by file type to set a local application
    I just want the option "Look for another app on this PC" in the "Open with" dialog back
    I have tried without success
    sfc /scannow
    and
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    Thanks

:)

raffaj, Jul 12, 2017
  2. RM_730 Win User

Noone can help?

RM_730, Jul 12, 2017
  3. Erika Aro Win User

Thank you for sharing your solution. If you have any information or inquiries to be tended, feel free to post back.

Erika Aro, Jul 12, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @raffaj

It can take a few clicks to get to that option, it's well hidden. If all is working properly you should be able to find it by a right-click on a file and selecting 'Open with > Choose another app'. On the bottom of the 'How do you want to open this file?' list that opens (you may need to scroll down to see it) is a 'More apps...' link. Click on that and the 'Look for another app on this PC' option should be at the bottom of that (long) list of apps.

5. raffaj Win User
    Thank you for answering

I don't have the 'More apps...' link either. Here is a screenshot. Thank you

"Look for another app on this PC" disappeared [​IMG]

raffaj, Jul 12, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    You said "...through my university I upgraded to the Educational edition...". I would first check with their IT department whether this is a restriction they put in place. Do you see the message 'some settings are managed by your organisation' on any of the Settings pages, particularly the ones for default apps?

7. raffaj Win User
    With "through my university" I mean through the program "Microsoft Software (Microsoft Imagine - ex DreamSpark Premium)". I don't event think the IT department would know anything about that and would remand me to Microsoft Assistance. I downloaded the ISO image from a Microsoft website, not from my university website

No I don't

raffaj, Jul 12, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

OK, there's an outside chance this might work. On EightForums a user was having similar problems, the 'Find another app on this PC' was visible but non-functional.

https://www.eightforums.com/general-...t-working.html

In 10 you look in Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings.

9. raffaj Win User
    Unfortunately it didn't work, even after restarting the system

raffaj, Jul 12, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Have a look to see if this is your problem...

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...ption.2509629/

If so (the option is there but in white text so you can't see it) then try the Dark theme (Settings > Personalization > Colors). You could try playing with other color settings too to see if you can make the text visible....

Change Color and Appearance in Windows 10

11. raffaj Win User
    Damn, you are right, the links are there but they are painted white, so they are invisible. What the....
    Using a dark theme did not help, using a high contrast theme did
    More importantly, the color of that link seems to be set by Settings->Personalization->Colors->Choose your color. It's the same color used on the Settings window and on the horizontal bar below the icons in the task bar
    This is how it looks like selecting "turf green". I don't know if there is an option to choose only the color of the hyperlinks, but also like that is ok for me. Thanks man

raffaj, Jul 12, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs Glad we got to the bottom of it and you found a workable solution.

I have no such problems (1703, os build 15063.483) so this issue may be down to your display driver. Some Nvidia drivers have been known to have 'odd' effects in the past.

Thema:

1. "Look for another app on this PC" disappeared - Similar Threads - another app disappeared

2. Why choose another app "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why choose another app "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home?: Why choose another app option "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home? Nothing happens when I try to set up another software not suggested automatically by Windows....
  3. Why choose another app "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why choose another app "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home?: Why choose another app option "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home? Nothing happens when I try to set up another software not suggested automatically by Windows....
  4. The context menu option, "Look for another app on this PC" has disappeared. I need help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The context menu option, "Look for another app on this PC" has disappeared. I need help.: Hello, Microsoft community,I need help with re-enabling this context menu option on my PC, specifically the one called “Look for another app on this PC”, as it has disappeared completely.Here is what I mean by disappeared:As you can see when I try to change the default...
  5. The context menu option, "Look for another app on this PC" has disappeared. I need help.

The context menu option, "Look for another app on this PC" has disappeared. I need help.: Hello, Microsoft community,I need help with re-enabling this context menu option on my PC, specifically the one called “Look for another app on this PC”, as it has disappeared completely.Here is what I mean by disappeared:As you can see when I try to change the default...
  6. The context menu option, "Look for another app on this PC" has disappeared. I need help.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Can't access 'Look for another App on this PC' because 'More Apps' button is unclickable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access 'Look for another App on this PC' because 'More Apps' button is unclickable.: Hi Microsoft Community,I have windows 11. I am encountering a weird issue. While selecting 'Open with...' for any file, and on clicking 'More Apps' nothing happens. It just clicks button but remains idle and doesn't provide next options. As a result, I am not able to select...
  8. Can't access 'Look for another App on this PC' because 'More Apps' button is unclickable.

Can't access 'Look for another App on this PC' because 'More Apps' button is unclickable.: Hi Microsoft Community,I have windows 11. I am encountering a weird issue. While selecting 'Open with...' for any file, and on clicking 'More Apps' nothing happens. It just clicks button but remains idle and doesn't provide next options. As a result, I am not able to select...
  9. 'Look for another app on this PC' no longer an option when setting default application by...

in Windows 10 Customization
    'Look for another app on this PC' no longer an option when setting default application by...: I noticed on all of my Windows 10 machines Enterprise, Pro, and Home that this option is no longer available. Was this purposely removed for some weird reason?...
  10. Close other apps. It looks like another app is using camera already.

Close other apps. It looks like another app is using camera already.: I know this is not a brand new issue, there are lots of articles already there on this problem, but I did't found any of them to be helpful. I'm having this problem since 4,5 months. Let me describe it clearly: Whenever I'm using my laptop and try to open camera, it shows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. look for another app on this pc