Windows 10: Looking Back and Looking Forward at gamescom 2016

Discus and support Looking Back and Looking Forward at gamescom 2016 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [img] This week we’re at the largest consumer gaming event in Europe – gamescom 2016 in Köln, Germany. Earlier today, I had the honor of kicking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Looking Back and Looking Forward at gamescom 2016

Source: Looking Back and Looking Forward at gamescom 2016 - Xbox Wire

:)

Brink, Aug 15, 2016
  2. NateBlair Win User

Moving Forward and Looking Back

I remember the launch of the Xbox One. Do any of you? Do you remember the backlash that came from all of the stupid "features" that Microsoft wanted to shoehorn into their new console? Always-online? TV streaming? Big Brother Kinect? And while they finally
    seemed to realize the error of their ways in wake of the Sony announcement of the PS4 and how, not only was it cheaper, it did what the target audience really wanted without any stupid gimmicks, you can still see remnants of that idiotic philosophy in some
    of the ways the One operates even today.

Enter Windows 10. I can say up front right now: the ONLY thing I see as a plus for this OS is the Start Menu. And that's a subjective point that not everyone will agree with. But here are the things that aren't subjective that have been shoehorned in again
    by Microsoft, or in other words a laundry list of the massive amount of bugs that I'm not going to take the time of day to list as bug reports in Windows Feedback forums because its essentially doing Microsoft's job for them. Honestly...TEST YOUR **** MICROSOFT!

Here we go:

The Store:

- I can't even submit feedback about apps because typing into the text boxes doesn't exclude the app thinking you want to search for something, and I end up being unable to submit app feedback because I can't type outside of the Search Box.

-The update procedure is downright stupid. I can't access the app page from the Downloads view where I can see all the apps that need updates. Why? I don't know. It makes no sense. Am I not allowed to see what changes that app has made? Am I supposed to
    go on blindly believing, like the idiot sheep Microsoft thinks their users are, that whatever updates the app has made are just absolutely necessary for the OS to continue running? Why should I have to search for the app in the app store manually and then
    try and determine for myself what changes that update makes? How could such a useful feature been overlooked as being necessary?

-I can't uninstall these stupid preinstalled apps. ALL APPS SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE REMOVED. Your job as an OS producer is to provide a system by which potential exists to expand features to fit the users needs. Not decide for me what I need and install it
    yourself, eradicating all options for me to change my mind if I don't want it later. Don't spoon feed me Microsoft, I'm not the idiot.

Cortana:

-She's great. Mostly. When is she not great? When I don't need her. And when don't I need her? Almost all the time. If Cortana was running constantly for a tablet maybe this wouldn't be so bad; I don't mind that my tablet allows me to quickly access her
    for some things. But even then, she really has no place in a PC OS. I do love her on my Lumia 640 though! Otherwise, its just bloat and wasted resources when I'm trying to do resource intensive tasks like gaming or designing.

The Apps:

-Enough with the shovelware. I have so much **** in my app list that I don't want and shouldn't be forced to download that I can't even think straight when I scroll through my installed applications. I'm talking: Alarms and Clock, Calendar, Camera (I'm using
    a desktop, **** is this even doing here!?), Contact Support (better off doing a Google Search), Groove Music (more on this later), Mail, Maps, Movies & TV, People, Photos, Voice Recorder (again, desktop, ****?), Weather, and Xbox. This is a massive amount
    of apps that has no business being preinstalled on my desktop. If I want them, I will find them, and I will install them. Other than that, most of them are half-baked poorly implemented schemes to try to get you to integrate all your social media and Microsoft
    Account information. Which usually I'm somewhat okay with - as long as its not REQUIRED.

Groove Music:

-This was just an utter failure. Stop trying so hard Microsoft. OneDrive can be great and all, but the fact that you optimized all of your OS around using your Cloud storage makes me feel like you're spiting me for trying to store anything locally. And that's
    exactly what Groove Music has accomplished. Coincidentally, Groove Music can pick up all my music when I have it search for Music stored in my OneDrive, but **** me sideways if its going to be able to detect anything on any local drives. This is so unnerving
    and as a user of an OS its reason enough to drive me to Apple. To put it in perspective: I really, really, loathe Apple. I burned my iPhone once. I have never felt that way about Lumia.

Movies & TV and other Media Apps:

-These software companies need to give up on people buying entertainment from whatever half-cocked marketplace they have set up. If I want to watch a movie I'll either find it on Netflix and if its not there then I'll rent it from somewhere. I'm not saving
    any money by using your marketplace and there are plenty other more convenient and cheaper options. This whole Movies & TV and Music marketplace thing is just a crappy DRM-intensive money grab. Options like Netflix and open-source ware are the way of the future;
    Microsoft needs to get off their money-hungry horse and just make a decent OS already and maybe they'd encourage people to buy from them.

OneDrive:

-As mentioned previously, the integration of this service is becoming ridiculous. I can't uninstall it. I can't stop it. I can't remove it. OS's should succeed by providing potential for functionality, not shoehorning in embedded features. I use OneDrive
    myself. Used Google Drive for a while, too. Switched to OneDrive recently because its well supported on my Lumia 640 and I actually have more free storage because I opted into their Camera Upload feature. But again, I need the ability to have an OS that does
    not RELY on, in any way, some sort of Cloud Service. If I want you to look for files there, I will tell you. That's the functionality and feature I want.

Windows Defender/Malware/AntiVirus:

-I don't know how this hasn't blown up in your faces already. Or at least, enough backlash on the internet to make it a big enough deal. This is one of the first things I noticed when I was a Tech Preview user and one of the first things that drove me up
    the wall. I don't want to have an anti-virus software on my system. For many reasons that I'm not going to get into. Instead, with Windows 10, I'm FORCED to have it running all the time. I can't uninstall it; I can "disable" it but it doesn't stop the MsMpEng.exe
    task from running. Again, wasted resources for when I'm doing more computationally intensive tasks.

So these are just a few of the more frustrating things I'm facing having spent the last 5 months watching Windows 10 grow from being a completely useless, steaming pile of **** to being a barely useful, regular pile of ****.

Please Microsoft, hire back or put back everyone that was leading the charge for Windows XP. Back when my PC didn't need a marketplace for crappy wanna-be desktop/tablet/mobile apps. Back when I could strip an operating system down to its bare requirements
    and build up a system to suit my needs.

Thanks for reading

NateBlair, Aug 15, 2016
  3. I was really looking forward to...

your entitled to your opinion i dont think so though lol

techbuzzireland, Aug 15, 2016
Thema:

Looking Back and Looking Forward at gamescom 2016

1. Looking Back and Looking Forward at gamescom 2016 - Similar Threads - Looking Looking Forward

2. What games are you looking forward to?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What games are you looking forward to?: Let's share and discuss our most anticipated games. Both long awaited or soon to be released, I'm sure we all have something to look forward to. *Smile I'll start by Skyblivion. As a fan of Oblivion and The Elder Scrolls games, this is re-work in the Creation Engine looks...
  3. cortana updated look and now reverted back to old look...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cortana updated look and now reverted back to old look...: Hey, i remember at the begining of september or so cortana had a changed look and was wider.. out of the blue it reverted back to the old look... is this happening to everyone? how do i get the new look back? 119395
  4. Anyone looking forward to Rollercoaster Tycoon World?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone looking forward to Rollercoaster Tycoon World?: I've always been a fan of the series and cannot wait for RCT World and Planet Coaster. Here's the latest screenshots. Looks great imo. [img] [img] [img] Both games look good, this is a look at RCT World vs Planet Coaster. 41914
  5. Looking at going back to Nvidia

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Looking at going back to Nvidia: I have been looking at Nvidia graphic cards and looks like I may order the GTX 1070 74743
  6. TenForums.com 2016: A look back

in Windows 10 Support
    TenForums.com 2016: A look back: Our virtual home TenForums.com went online on October 8th, 2013 (then with old name NineForums.com). I joined a day later, being one of the oldest members and proud of it *Smile. Screenshot from November 26th, 2013. We had 95 members on that day *Smile: [img]...
  7. A Look Back – and a Look Ahead – at Accessibility at Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    A Look Back – and a Look Ahead – at Accessibility at Microsoft: It’s been a little over a year since Microsoft restructured our approach to accessibility across the company and what a year it’s been! With CSUN kicking off this morning, want to take a moment to highlight the momentum at Microsoft and share some news – including an expanded...
  8. Looking ahead: Microsoft Edge for developers in 2016

in Windows 10 News
    Looking ahead: Microsoft Edge for developers in 2016: Recently, in “Looking back: Microsoft Edge for developers in 2015,” we shared the priorities which guided our development in 2015, what we delivered with Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge, and shared some of the ways we measure success. Today, we would like to talk about where...
  9. Looking Forward to COMPUTEX 2016

in Windows 10 News
    Looking Forward to COMPUTEX 2016: Next week, I look forward to joining over 100,000 industry partners from over 29 countries at COMPUTEX 2016 in Taipei. The partner ecosystem is critical to our success and we continue to work hard with our hardware partners to create opportunities, drive innovation, and...
  10. Coming soon: A first look at Exchange Server 2016

in Windows 10 News
    Coming soon: A first look at Exchange Server 2016: Less than three weeks to go until Microsoft Ignite kicks off in Chicago! Based on how many members of the sellout crowd have identified themselves as Microsoft Exchange Conference alumni, it looks like we’ll have an excellent turnout from the Exchange community. We’re excited...