Windows 10: Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement

Discus and support Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been around since Windows 3.1 days and used the standard file/windows explorer, but getting frustrated by the limitations in Windows 10. Right now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Alan Milewczyk, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement

I've been around since Windows 3.1 days and used the standard file/windows explorer, but getting frustrated by the limitations in Windows 10. Right now I have a mixed network, mainly Windows 7 Ultimate PCs plus a Windows 10 Home Laptop, plus a Linux Mint and a Linux based NAS.

I like the facility available since Windows 7 days which allows you define the attributes visible by the file folder type - as I mainly do work with audio, video and picture files, it's really useful to define different viewable details for video folders than for pictures or music, etc etc. It's essential that the file manager replacement enables me to define the folder type in the same way that Windows 7+ does and enable full customisation of visible fields. I've read countless reviews of file manager alternatives but none seem to mention this aspect (unless I've missed it!).

Most times I am viewing in "detail" layout. My photos are mainly in Canon RAW format (.CR2 and .CRW) and under Windows 7 using the Microsoft Camera Codec pack I could switch to thumbnail view to preview the files - this is no longer possible under Windows 10. It is essential that the file manager replacement has the ability to view CR2/CRW files as well as JPGs.

Just wondering if I could draw on the collective experience in this forum please? Any suitable recommendations, please?

Many thanks.

Alan

:)

Alan Milewczyk, Jan 6, 2018

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jan 6, 2018
  3. wma files will not play in window 10

Some of my wma files seem to be looking for internet explorer as part of the protection and will not play.

This has been replaced with edge in windows 10.

Is there a way to get them to play without installing an old version on internet explorer?

RoySellwood, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Callender Win User

Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement

Callender, Jan 6, 2018
  5. Callender Win User
    Callender, Jan 6, 2018
  6. Edwin New Member
    Hello @Alan Milewczyk, welcome to tenforums! *Smile

QTTabBar may be what you're looking for.

QTTabBar extends Explorer by tabs and extra folder views and so much more.

Highly customize-able, tons of features!

Mouse Hover for images:

Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement [​IMG]

Live Mouse Hover for audio and video:

Mouse Hover for many text files:
    (Notepad should read 'You can continue typing while hovering another file for info...') *Redface

You can also hover preview items from a parent folder drop down list, or by right clicking on a Tab:

With a simple tap of the period button on the Numerical Keypad, open a slideshow or audio/video Playlist in the current monitor or another fixed monitor:

You can also set 'Show Column Header Always' no matter the folder view:

These examples are from Windows 7 with MS Codec Pack for raw files, (.crw, .cr2, .tiff, etc.); I do have QTTabBar on W10 as well but not the Codec Pack. I'm sure it would work on W10 as well.
    I find this application indispensable! Might be worth your while to check it out.

Edwin, Jan 6, 2018
  7. mb1280 Win User
    mb1280, Jan 7, 2018
  8. Edwin New Member

xplorer² lite

(just wondering why the Alt fonts in the previous post look buggered up to me!) *Redface

Anyone see anything different?

Edwin, Jan 7, 2018
  9. Probably a forum bug, some links end up like that.

Josey Wales, Jan 8, 2018
  10. Callender Win User
    Post it like this:xplorer² Lite
    It appears to be a trial version.

If anyone wants the old version (no expiry) - send me a pm

Callender, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Stu49 Win User
    I would like the older ver. pls !! but unable to PM you !? Stu *Smile

Stu49, Mar 30, 2018
  12. mb1280 Win User
    The free version of

xplorer^2 free lite

has a pop-up once a month or so, but it's not that annoying, and you can keep using it.

This is a nice feature, how to browse two similar folders at once:

xplorer^2 free lite - Mirror Browsing demo . . . http://www.zabkat.com/blog/wink/sync1.htm

mb1280, Mar 30, 2018
  13. Stu49 Win User

tks for that ! but just had a look and don't much like this app !! I've gone for 'QTTabBar' which look just the job *Wink see Edwin's post earlier. Also means it's familiar as just Extended Win File Explorer *Wink

Stu49, Mar 30, 2018
  14. Callender Win User
    PM Sent.

Callender, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement - Similar Threads - Looking File Explorer

2. My Windows file explorer looks different

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Windows file explorer looks different: After the last restart or update, my windows explrorer looks completely different. The search bar and nav bar became smaller, the UI looks strange and when i search for something, it doesn't do a little dropdown window where i can click to open, or right click to show in...
  3. My Windows file explorer looks different

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows file explorer looks different: After the last restart or update, my windows explrorer looks completely different. The search bar and nav bar became smaller, the UI looks strange and when i search for something, it doesn't do a little dropdown window where i can click to open, or right click to show in...
  4. My Windows file explorer looks different

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Looking to replace a file but no clue where to get it from

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Looking to replace a file but no clue where to get it from: Recently i was hit by a malware, and i think i cleared most of it up, scans with mcafee and malwarebytes are clear but say that intelaudioservice.exe has an invalid certificate and have been changed and launch on startup, i want to be sure that its gone and i think replacing...
  6. Win10 File Explorer replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 File Explorer replacement: Although due to some properties use this program, I want to ask tips on how fully replace it. Total Commander file manager is OK, but for example, working with the home network is is unsatisfactory and complex. Needs a plugin for this(?). Or at least I can't operate me. Does...
  7. Windows 10 File Explorer Looks Weird

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer Looks Weird: Hello, I dont know what happened to my file explorer. I really need help. How do I make my file explorer get back to its normal style? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-explorer-looks-weird/d1538202-a5b1-4c13-bcc3-f5efcdc76ac7
  8. File Explorer does not replace image files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer does not replace image files: When I drag or paste an image into a folder it doesn't update. If I refresh it doesn't update. If I close and reopen File Explorer, the image remains unchanged. Even more with dds files. I'm not talking about anything but replacing 1 dds with another by any method. The only...
  9. Customize File Explorer look

Customize File Explorer look: How do I customize my File Explorer so that it appears like my Computer? 56083
  10. File Explorer > Open With replacement?

File Explorer > Open With replacement?: It seems like the simple "open with" dialog has gotten worse with every version of Windows since they invented it. I avoided Win8/8.1, but cannot avoid Win10... and this is a feature that I use regularly, and absolutely hate what MS has done with it in Win10. I've already...