Windows 10: Looking for Advice on a Good PC Monitor

Discus and support Looking for Advice on a Good PC Monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi. Is this where I can ask about PC monitors? I'm going to buy a new screen soon, but I have no idea where to end my journey. I was hoping that I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Faith, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Faith Win User

Looking for Advice on a Good PC Monitor

Hi. Is this where I can ask about PC monitors? I'm going to buy a new screen soon, but I have no idea where to end my journey. I was hoping that I can get any advice from this forum, if it's ok?

:)

Faith, Oct 25, 2017
  2. ajaydavidson---01, Oct 25, 2017
  3. Looking for a good music player

The PowerMP3 player is an expensive £8.00. (i can get an Android app under £4 for that with equally if not better features and interface)

I can't even find TTPod.

gino_76ph---01, Oct 25, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

This is a huge topic, and there is no right way or wrong way.

To get you started, there are usually 2 main display types, TN panels and IPS panels. TN panels are faster with less lag, so they are often the predominate game monitor. IPS panels however have much better color and viewing angles, so are often considered to be a better looking monitor. Personally, I game on IPS panels without problems. I prefer the better viewing for everything else I do on my computer that is not gaming.

The next thing is refresh rates. Monitors are typically 60hz. Which means they can refresh the image 60 times per second. Many gamers find the faster 120Hz and 144Hz monitors to make for smoother gaming. It's debateable for many people as to whether the human eye can really process differences over 60 frames per second. You will really have to do some reading on this topic to see if you think it would be an impact to you. I personally game at 60 frames per second and have no concerns. I'm in my 40's and my reflexes are now a bigger detriment to me than the refresh rates on my monitor.

Finally, there is resolution. 1920x1080 is more or less the standard. At a 24" or less monitor, that's the resolution you most likely will run. At 27", there are 1440 monitors, which are 2560x1440. You need more graphics power to game at these higher resolutions. 4k is the next coming thing, but you will pay a lot me to be here.

Hopefully that gives you some things to ponder. Monitors are a tough one. Some people spend so much on their PC's and graphics card and they tend to skimp on their monitor. I find that I look at the monitor every moment I use my PC, so I want a very high quality experience there. Finally, you also have to decide if you want multiple monitors. I'm a multiple monitor user, it's hard to just use a single monitor these days. Having dual monitors will obviously double your cost. I don't game with the image split across the 2 monitors. Rather I game on 1 monitor and run things like my communications/chat tool on the second monitor.

pparks1, Oct 25, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    I to use 2 monitors and in time I'd like to go with 3 for gaming. Gaming on two monitors is not that fun, let me tell you.

As to the OP question; I'm partial to Samsung/Sony/LG brands. If you look at TV's for a monitor......you can find some really decent LED TV's on clearance that work superbly for half the price of a monitor of same caliber.

Plankton, Oct 25, 2017
  6. Faith Win User
    This is excellent! Thank you. I'm definitely going to be using it primarily for gaming, but I don't want a TN panel because my BenQ monitor that I'm currently have is TN (I think - It's a XL2420T), and the colours and angles are bad. I'm also in the same boat as you regarding refresh rate. I do see a difference between 60 and 120Hz, but it's also very noticable when games drop frames when 120Hz is enabled contra 60. It also makes my computer hot at 120 *Tongue So basically I want 60Hz IPS but also fast response time, is that possible? I will do 1440p on 27", but not 1080p on 27". Here I would go for 24" to avoide "pixel housing".

I was looking at the Benq EW2770 IPS 27" 1440p because of the eye-care, but now my concern is that what happens if I game at 1080p on a 1440p monitor, will I get black borders or bad scaling here?

Faith, Oct 25, 2017
  7. Faith Win User
    I just bought a AOC I2490 IPS 24" 1080p 60Hz Wide Gamut monitor. It got a 4ms (GTG) response time, which is the best I could find on a IPS screen in my location. Even the super expensive gaming-oriented ASUS ROG pg279q IPS monitor have 4ms aswell. I think I will be happy with my purchase because of its features, and it wasn't too expensive either. *Smile

Faith, Oct 26, 2017
  8. pparks1 Win User

I'm sure that you will be fine. On my son's gaming computer, we use a 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2415 IPS panel. It runs 1920x1200, and has a normal mode GTG speed of 8ms. It's never been a problem for either of us. I'd buy that monitor again in an heartbeat. Like the AOC, it's almost frameless with practically no bezel around the 3 sides. I paid around $240 a year ago for the Dell.

pparks1, Oct 26, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    I just bought a Dell 27" at Costco (on sale). I had a older Viewsonic 23". The new Dell is much clearer on both text and on pictures and videos. Its Model SE21217HR, $139 (member price).
    Dell SE2717HR 27" Full HD Monitor

fireberd, Oct 26, 2017
  10. pparks1 Win User
    $139 is a pretty solid price on a Dell 27" IPS panel. Couple of things to be aware of, at this price it 1) only has VGA and HDMI input 2). Doesn't have height adjustment stand. 3). only offers 1920x1080 resolution. At 27" I like 1440 myself, so 2560x1440. But that's all personal preference.

pparks1, Oct 26, 2017
  11. fireberd Win User
    I use mine for my recording studio. Lots of "turf" for it.

fireberd, Oct 27, 2017
  12. Well, there are lots of specs. But only three matter to me.
    1. Size
    2. Usable display angle
    3. Brand
    Most everything else is academic ... because they're all mostly the same.
    And where there ARE differences ... they're mostly ho-hum:
    120 Hz? Who cares? (I've never noticed any difference.)
    2 msec response time? Who cares? (I've never noticed any difference.)

As for brand ... I've had good results with Viewsonic and LG, but I'd avoid AOC.

margrave55, Oct 28, 2017
  13. Faith Win User

What's wrong with AOC? Most people that I could find say it's a reliable brand when it comes to their home-office displays (I haven't tried their gaming monitors). Their monitors also have good ratings across the board on popular shops. This will be my first AOC though, but if there's something wrong I have 45 days to return it. And the rest is academic? I don't know. There's definitely a difference between 60 and 120Hz. It all depends on what games you play. I didn't play many e-sports titles which is why I'm ditching the idea of high refresh rate. But people doing professional e-sports will tell you that 120/144Hz and fast response time is mandatory. Once you get to bad response times you will see ghosting, which is terrible in fast moving games. My current BenQ doesn't have this issue because the response time is on 2ms I believe, so only time will tell if I can notice it on 4ms, my guess is no.

Faith, Oct 28, 2017
  14. essenbe Win User
    I really couldn't tell the difference in 2 ms. Maybe it's because I'm old and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. But, 2 ms = 2/ 1000's of a second. Anyone who can detect that is much better than I am.

essenbe, Oct 28, 2017
  15. elbmek Win User
    I got a 4k monitor but had problems with settings. So I sold it and bought a ASUS VX278Q 27 inch. It does as its told and is a great monitor.

elbmek, Oct 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Looking for Advice on a Good PC Monitor - Similar Threads - Looking Advice Monitor

2. An attacker is trying to log in to my PC. Looking for advice.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An attacker is trying to log in to my PC. Looking for advice.: Hello,a couple of days ago i logged on a PC in our network and realised someone was on that machine windows 10. I realized it immediately because i saw this on my screen:The first one is already in English and the second one says:CScript error: Loading of the script failed...
  3. Looking for some tech advice.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking for some tech advice.: Hey /r/windows10, Time to use this subreddit for some tech support rather than just getting neat tools I'll never use. Trying to help out my uncle with his PC and I am running into an issue that I cannot find a solution for. Their computer freezes randomly, while using it...
  4. Looking for advice

Looking for advice: Hi guys, hope y’all are doing good Can you please tell me if there’s a way to speed up windows 10? My pc has been sluggish those days and crashes a lot I have an HP laptop with intel celeron and 4 gb RAM submitted by /u/Neko-Raijin [link] [comments]...
  5. Looking for a good laptop.

Looking for a good laptop.: I have been searching for a good laptop to use for mainly office products and chrome. I'm looking for something 'future proof' so that I won't need to get a new one for a while. The specs I am looking for are as follows (and are able to be changed but not much): - 15" - 17"...
  6. Looking for some advice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Looking for some advice: What should I do when u get this error, c:\$SysReset\Scatch\Csrss.ex? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/looking-for-some-advice/3f27847c-e942-49ef-b290-be91c9418fb4
  7. Looking for some Antivirus Advice

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for some Antivirus Advice: I'd like to use a Free one before I decide if I'd like to pay for the Full Version. I'd like an Antivirus w/a good reputation, that can stop tracking cookies & pop-ups, somewhat fast but very thorough scans w/easy to read & understand results-that can also be copied to a...
  8. Looking for software/app advice.....

Looking for software/app advice.....: I work in the transportation industry and we have to keep a list of when and where our trucks are loading and unloading. There are 3 of us that use this information. We currently keep 3 different lists on 3 different yellow legal pads. The problem is that when one of us make...
  9. Looking For Advice on Fiber Install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Looking For Advice on Fiber Install: Hi folks, This Saturday, I'm getting UVerse 1000 laid in at my house. It will actually drop my AT&T bill by $20. I'm assuming that they provide the home router and other needed equipment, but I was wondering if there is anything I should upgrade. My PC has a gigabit...
  10. Looking for advice or suggestion.

Looking for advice or suggestion.: I own a windows10 tablet... from the Microsoft store could you please recommend a battery status/usage/monitor app that is legit? 103193