Windows 10: Looking for advice on switching from Windows 10 to any other os

Discus and support Looking for advice on switching from Windows 10 to any other os in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Basically I've had it with Windows 10, I'm just done. I foolishly installed the new "Fall Creators Update," forgetting that every Windows 10 update so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Keefus, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Keefus Win User

Looking for advice on switching from Windows 10 to any other os

Basically I've had it with Windows 10, I'm just done. I foolishly installed the new "Fall Creators Update," forgetting that every Windows 10 update so far has worsened my user experience and infuriated me for hours.

So I just want to know if anyone in this forum has suggestions for other operating systems that deliver a windows-comparable experience. I don't do Apple.

:)

Keefus, Dec 26, 2017
  2. JELaBarre Win User

Looking up Update Catalog info from other OS

Hey MS, did it ever occur to you that someone may want to simply ***LOOK UP*** information on updates using a browser on a different OS, but not actually run the install from there??? Obviously not, because if I happen to want to research some MSWin updates
    using my primary system running Linux (what, you don't think I do REAL work from MSWin, do you?) I don't want to be blocked by some message that "This website does not offer updates for the operating system on this computer". Well DUH, I think
    I could have figured that out, so why are you being such a**holes and preventing me from doing research for OTHER users?

JELaBarre, Dec 26, 2017
  3. Preparation for Windows 10 - Looking for advice

Your Windows 8.1 is only legitimate when the Windows Vista on said system is no longer running as the license you have was supposed to be used to UPGRADE the Windows Vista install.

If the Windows Vista is not going to be used, delete it. You can upgrade the Windows 8/8.1 installation to Windows 10 in-place anytime you like - but you cannot run Windows 8/8.1 at the same time you are running the full RTM'd version of Windows 10 as the
    license you get is BASED OFF the Windows 8/8.1 license.

If I were you, I would just make a system image of Windows 8.1, upgrade when you want to, try it for a week or two, roll-back if you dislike it (or if you wait more than 30 days, restore using your system image to Windows 8.1.) Your Windows 8/8.1 installation
    is fine as it is.

Shenan Stanley, Dec 26, 2017
  4. exploder Win User

Linux Mint Cinnamon edition uses a traditional desktop layout and is very popular. Burn yourself a Live DVD of 18.03 and see what you think.

exploder, Dec 26, 2017
  5. I would have suggesed Linux Mint too, but it's quite "hands-on" and you may find that you can't use your familiar programs with it, so it may require a long learning curve.

I dislike Windows10 so the first thing I do with a new install is install "Start10", to give me a "sensible" (personal opinion, of course) desktop more like Windows7.

After a Windows update I often find that my network settings have been changed (like password-protected sharing has been turned ON, grrr!) so I have to reset them.

After installing my preferred default programs Windows10 tries to revert the system to using Microsoft's own - eg, Edge, Photos, Groove Music, I reset the defaults to Waterfox, IrfanView, VLC. Once I've shown I mean business *Wink MS gives in.

If you don't get on with a version of Linux, perhaps come back and describe the problems that Windows10 is giving you and the experts here (probably not me *Wink ) may be able to unravel them for you.

clemenzina, Dec 26, 2017
  6. hiphopper Win User
    So what are your bug requirements? Obviously you don't want gaming as that is Windows biggest feature right now.

Office productivity can be done most anywhere but to be honest Linux desktop can be restrictive and very hands on to get it right.

Honestly the best non Windows desktop OS right now is going to be Mac. But it all depends on what you need to do.

hiphopper, Dec 26, 2017
  7. Did you do the free upgrade from Windows 7? If yes go back to that version of Windows. Linux is a whole other kettle of fish, IMHO. Those who like it, like it a lot, but it takes some getting used to. It's not as straight forward as it might seem.

alphanumeric, Dec 27, 2017
  8. Keefus Win User

Thank you for the help. You all rock.

Keefus, Dec 27, 2017
  9. tommy39 Win User
    you can get just the critical updates ,by telling windows you have a metered connection in update & security, it's a much simpler option, and puts you back in control.... hope this helps

tommy39, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Looking for advice on switching from Windows 10 to any other os - Similar Threads - Looking advice switching

2. Looking for Windows 10 upgrade advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking for Windows 10 upgrade advice: Hi there, I currently have a personal laptop running Windows 10 Home, I would like to upgrade this to Windows 10 Pro, I have been looking at education licences (Available for free via my university) I am mainly wondering about the differences between Pro and Education...
  3. Corruption on Windows OS & any other downloads

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corruption on Windows OS & any other downloads: Hello, this problem has been bugging me for a month. Starting from the beginning, One night, windows had a update and I installed it Though I am not sure which it was but it was mandatory. The next morning, I tried opening a game and it reported corrupted files. I tried...
  4. Looking for advice

Looking for advice: Hi guys, hope y’all are doing good Can you please tell me if there’s a way to speed up windows 10? My pc has been sluggish those days and crashes a lot I have an HP laptop with intel celeron and 4 gb RAM submitted by /u/Neko-Raijin [link] [comments]...
  5. Switching Windows 10 OS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Switching Windows 10 OS: Ok so recently I built my own computer and I asked my brother to download Windows Home on a flash drive for me. I did so and was able to boot up the computer and everything. I've just bought a license key for Windows 10 home but it didn't work. So I asked for help and found...
  6. Any way to switch one for the other?

Any way to switch one for the other?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/netocavalcanti [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i37jyn/any_way_to_switch_one_for_the_other/
  7. Looking for installation advice. OS/Motherboard+CPU.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Looking for installation advice. OS/Motherboard+CPU.: So I am getting a new motherboard and cpu in a few days, going from a i5-7500 to a Ryzen 7 3700x, and when I go to format and install windows 10 64 bit home edition, should I disconnect my non-os SSD till the OS is installed and updated? The OS is going on a SSD, while my...
  8. Looking for some advice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Looking for some advice: What should I do when u get this error, c:\$SysReset\Scatch\Csrss.ex? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/looking-for-some-advice/3f27847c-e942-49ef-b290-be91c9418fb4
  9. Switching from Endless OS 3.0 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching from Endless OS 3.0 to Windows 10: I bought a new laptop (acer aspire 5) which had already an OS (Endless 3.0). I wanted to switch to Windows 10 so I made a bootable USB (with Rufus 2.8). First of all, the laptop wouldnt recognize the USB, so I entered BIOS and made the USB the top priority. After that I was...
  10. Looking for advice or suggestion.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for advice or suggestion.: I own a windows10 tablet... from the Microsoft store could you please recommend a battery status/usage/monitor app that is legit? 103193