Windows 10: Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder

Discus and support Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Does anyone know of an app/script to: 1. scan whole folder/drive 2. find all files ending in .lnk (i.e. shortcuts) 3. if the thing that it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by blksith0, Mar 21, 2017.

1. blksith0 Win User

Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder

Does anyone know of an app/script to:
    1. scan whole folder/drive
    2. find all files ending in .lnk (i.e. shortcuts)
    3. if the thing that it's pointing to does not exist -> alert me / flag it / delete it / etc

I'll continue searching online, but I must not be using the right keywords or it's hard to find.

:)

blksith0, Mar 21, 2017

2. Missing programs/files after upgrade

Given that message with your shortcuts, I'd repair your LNK file associations first. Run this link to repair your LNK associations:

LNK Association Settings

As for the DVD player, once you buy something you can install it as many times as you please, so just redownload it

here

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Mar 21, 2017
  3. Unnecessary Date Modified update from Toolbar link usage.

I can repro this here. "Date modified" is updated. To prevent it, right-click on the shortcut and click Properties. In the General tab, enable "Read-only" attribute and click OK.

To enable "Read-only" attribute for all shortcuts in the MyToolbar folder.

SHIFT + Right-click the folder that contains the shortcuts, and click "Open command window here".

In the Command Prompt window, type:

attrib +R *.lnk

Type exit

See Also:

Modification date of link files (lnk) is updated when clicked, - Microsoft Community

Modification date of link files (lnk) is updated when clicked, and if they are in a toolbar

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 21, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

You could copy/paste this into powershell. It will make a file MissingTargets.txt on your desktop containing shortcuts where the target doesn't exist. Just need to change the drive letter D:\ in the first line. Code: $Shortcuts = Get-ChildItem -Recurse "D:\" -Include *.lnk $Shell = New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell foreach ($Shortcut in $Shortcuts) { $Properties = @{ ShortcutName = $Shortcut.Name Path = $Shortcut.FullName ShortcutDirectory = $Shortcut.DirectoryName Target = $Shell.CreateShortcut($Shortcut).targetpath } New-Object PSObject -Property $Properties if (-not (Test-Path $Properties.Target)) {$Properties.Path>>$env:homeDrive$env:homePath\Desktop\MissingTargets.txt} }[/quote] If you wanted to delete them instead of reporting them then change the line at the end from Code: if (-not (Test-Path $Properties.Target)) {$Properties.Path>>$env:homeDrive$env:homePath\Desktop\MissingTargets.txt}[/quote] to Code: if (-not (Test-Path $Properties.Target)) {Remove-Item $Properties.Path -Force -ErrorAction 0}[/quote] Based on this code [Powershell] Get Shortcut Target : AskGreg

5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder - Similar Threads - Looking Dead Shortcut

2. Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.: Since the last Windows update, any shortcuts I have in my Links toolbar on the task bar that aren't folders now pop up a Security Warning prompt as it tries to open the .lnk version of the shortcut.The shortcuts are located in C>User>name>Favourites>Favourites Bar.This was...
  3. Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.: Since the last Windows update, any shortcuts I have in my Links toolbar on the task bar that aren't folders now pop up a Security Warning prompt as it tries to open the .lnk version of the shortcut.The shortcuts are located in C>User>name>Favourites>Favourites Bar.This was...
  4. Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied: I need your help with this shortcut link that I try to correct but I didn't. What I did is to right-click the desktop shortcut link of Microsoft Train Simulator (outdated but still can run the game) to Properties of this link. Then I change the line in Target box to add "...
  6. .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  7. .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  8. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

in Cortana
    Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk): My computer that is running Windows 10, desktop search or Cortana, cannot find the shortcut files (files with the extension .lnk). The problem occurred after the update. I hope to help....
  9. Dead links on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead links on desktop: I have two sets of links on my desktop. One set acts exactly as they should, the other set is a mystery. They appeared spontaneously. I'd blame an upgrade, but I'm not sure. The other set, the dead links, cannot be dragged. Clicking on them does nothing. Resizing the desktop...
  10. WARNING: Zcryptor Link (.lnk) to Ransom

in Windows 10 News
    WARNING: Zcryptor Link (.lnk) to Ransom: WARNING: Link Zcryptor (.lnk) to Ransom We are alerting Windows users of a new type of ransomware that exhibits worm-like behavior. This ransom leverages removable and network drives to propagate itself and affect more users. We detect this ransomware as...