Windows 10: Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans...

Discus and support Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been tracking down the locations of files scanned by the built-in Disk Cleanup tool, but I can't seem to find the following: Setup Log Files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stargate38, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Stargate38 Win User

Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans...

I've been tracking down the locations of files scanned by the built-in Disk Cleanup tool, but I can't seem to find the following:

Setup Log Files
    Windows Update Cleanup files
    Windows upgrade log files
    System created Windows Error Reporting Files
    Windows Defender Antivirus (Non-critical files used by WD)
    DirectX Shader Cache
    Delivery Optimization Files

Where are those files stored? I want to back some of them up to an external drive for future reference, especially the setup and upgrade logs.

:)

Stargate38, Jul 1, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows.old directory deletion

Hi Everett, what directory do you want to delete?

If it is C:\Windows, you cannot remove that directory, it contains the Operating System

If it is C:\Windows.old you can remove it along with anything else that can be safely removed as follows:

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jul 1, 2018
  3. Swetha Sree Win User
    Disk Cleanup after The anniversary update

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Disk Cleanup. I will certainly help you.

As per your query, I would like to inform you that, it is safe to delete all the files with extension .tmp in the temporary files folder.

I suggest you to try deleting the temporary file manually by the steps provided below and check if it helps:

• Go to Windows key+ R and type
      temp
    • Select all of the files and folders within the Temp folder and delete.

Please follow the below link to run disk cleanup:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Kindly update us on the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

Swetha Sree, Jul 1, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Disk Clean Up

Hi Clive, use Disk Cleanup, it will only suggest and delete files and folders that are safe to delete . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans... - Similar Threads - Looking files directories

2. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: When Disk cleanup and, or Win 10 storage clean up is run in Admin or User modes, the Temporary Internet Folders always show 640KB/140MB of temp files remaining after cleanup is complete. I can run the Disk cleanup 1 x 2 x 3 x make no difference. Admin shows 640KB, User 104MB....
  3. issue with temporary files in the disk cleanup 1803

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    issue with temporary files in the disk cleanup 1803: Hi Microsoft: I reinstalled my Windows because previously, when I go to disk cleanup to cleanup files, I noticed that the temporary files will not cleanup. I tried it in the new user account by the same issue. It didn't happen in 1703 or 1709. It happened before in the...
  4. Disk Cleanup issue with Temporary Internet Files

Disk Cleanup issue with Temporary Internet Files: Hi All Temporary Internet files show data in the folder according to disk cleanup, so far ran ccleaner, then ran diskcleanup again a week later, and seems like more data in that folder on my SSD, and i'm like what the heck, I cleared the temp folder manually, clear...
  5. Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup

Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup: Hi all. I have had 175mb of Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup for what seems like a few months now which will not seem to go following the routine disk cleanup action. I waited until the next major CU came and went which happened last night but it still says 175mb of...
  6. Disk cleanup not starting

Disk cleanup not starting: Hello all I have windows 10 pro x64 and whenever I try to run disk cleanup, it asks me which drive to clean, then no matter what drive i select after I press ok, it doesn't start up. Any idea why this is happening? I tried restarting. Thanks. Specs: 16 gb kingston DDR3...
  7. Update Cleanup missing in Disk Cleanup

Update Cleanup missing in Disk Cleanup: Just got another update today, still having this issue. I used to have "Windows Update Files" or something along those lines whenever I ran disk cleanup after an update, but now that doesn't appear in the list. How far back would "the last few builds" be? "the last...
  8. Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files

Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files: did alittle more digging... in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporar y Files what does the defualt key to? the original is 0B2C35D2-C8BC-4470-BFC0-D6BB1235E5CE i changed it to...
  9. Disk CleanUp

Disk CleanUp: When using DISK CLEANUP Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files (both boxes ticked) After Cleanup ....... * Temporary Internet Files still shows 7 MB of files * Temporary Files still shows 3 MB of files It does not seem to empty/clean all the hidden folders...
  10. disk cleanup bug??

disk cleanup bug??: Disk cleanup says it can free up to 4 TB of space on my 120GB C: drive, after a update. WTF!!! Even adding the 2TB HDD and another 120 GB SSD (which is 60 GB partitioned) which are far from full, this doesn't make any sense. Is this some weird bug in Disk Cleanup...