Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans...

Discus and support Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been tracking down the locations of files scanned by the built-in Disk Cleanup tool, but I can't seem to find the following: Setup Log Files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stargate38, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Stargate38 Win User

I've been tracking down the locations of files scanned by the built-in Disk Cleanup tool, but I can't seem to find the following:

Setup Log Files
    Windows Update Cleanup files
    Windows upgrade log files
    System created Windows Error Reporting Files
    Windows Defender Antivirus (Non-critical files used by WD)
    DirectX Shader Cache
    Delivery Optimization Files

Where are those files stored? I want to back some of them up to an external drive for future reference, especially the setup and upgrade logs.

:)

Stargate38, Jul 1, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows.old directory deletion

Hi Everett, what directory do you want to delete?

If it is C:\Windows, you cannot remove that directory, it contains the Operating System

If it is C:\Windows.old you can remove it along with anything else that can be safely removed as follows:

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jul 1, 2018
  3. Swetha Sree Win User
    Disk Cleanup after The anniversary update

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Disk Cleanup. I will certainly help you.

As per your query, I would like to inform you that, it is safe to delete all the files with extension .tmp in the temporary files folder.

I suggest you to try deleting the temporary file manually by the steps provided below and check if it helps:

• Go to Windows key+ R and type
      temp
    • Select all of the files and folders within the Temp folder and delete.

Please follow the below link to run disk cleanup:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Kindly update us on the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

Swetha Sree, Jul 1, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Disk Clean Up

Hi Clive, use Disk Cleanup, it will only suggest and delete files and folders that are safe to delete . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans... - Similar Threads - Looking files directories

2. looking to have Memory dump file looked at

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    looking to have Memory dump file looked at: hi, i would like to have someone read the memory dump and tell me what they see as the error. my guess being a ryzen machine it's ether ram or a device driver. thanks, Nathan Saunders 113372
  3. Concept imagines redesigned Windows 10 File Explorer with new look

in Windows 10 News
    Concept imagines redesigned Windows 10 File Explorer with new look: Microsoft is working on Windows 10 Redstone 5 update that will bring a dark theme to the File Explorer, along with some other refinements. File Explorer is getting an update later this year, but more or less it will look same. It’s likely that one day Microsoft will implement...
  4. ran DRweb cureit it said i have a corrupted host file, it looks ok?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ran DRweb cureit it said i have a corrupted host file, it looks ok?: So i d-loaded Chirp to programs my ham radio it so happens i d-loaded from a site that was not his site it was a counterfeit site, when i installed it it asked me to update that took me to his real site i then removed, that program and installed the real one, which i...
  5. Found odd looking files on laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Found odd looking files on laptop: In the last four or five days I have discovered files folders and files which recently appeared. In my C: drive two folders - abpackage 150 and Xdetails 212 D: (Recovery) three folders ahscan 17, aimages 77, Uwrap 101 E: Vlog 131, Attransfer 5223 F: Uworking 48,...
  6. Backed up my email messages and have some strange looking files

in Browsers and Email
    Backed up my email messages and have some strange looking files: [img] Log Out Settings My Profile Notifications Welcome, What's New? Forum New Posts Private Messages FAQ Calendar Community Forum Actions Quick Links Tutorials Advanced Search [img] Forum Vista Forums Browsers & Mail Just...
  7. Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for a File/Windows Explorer replacement: I've been around since Windows 3.1 days and used the standard file/windows explorer, but getting frustrated by the limitations in Windows 10. Right now I have a mixed network, mainly Windows 7 Ultimate PCs plus a Windows 10 Home Laptop, plus a Linux Mint and a Linux based...
  8. Looking for a program to batch resize .png files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for a program to batch resize .png files.: I use Photoshop for .jpg files, but it can't seem to do .png. What programs can do this? 57086
  9. Looking for a tool to create a .pdb file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a tool to create a .pdb file.: Hi, I'm developing some tools that produce Win32 image files (.exe or .dll), and I want to supply debug information so that a user can use the image with a debugger. Does anyone know a tool that can write pdb files? Presumably from Microsoft, but possibly from some third...
  10. I would like to change the way file explorer looks

in Windows 10 Support
    I would like to change the way file explorer looks: I would like to change the way file explorer looks, it looks like this now [img] I'd like it to look more like this [img] Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thanks 73631