Windows 10: Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans...

Discus and support Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been tracking down the locations of files scanned by the built-in Disk Cleanup tool, but I can't seem to find the following: Setup Log Files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stargate38, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans...

I've been tracking down the locations of files scanned by the built-in Disk Cleanup tool, but I can't seem to find the following:

Setup Log Files
    Windows Update Cleanup files
    Windows upgrade log files
    System created Windows Error Reporting Files
    Windows Defender Antivirus (Non-critical files used by WD)
    DirectX Shader Cache
    Delivery Optimization Files

Where are those files stored? I want to back some of them up to an external drive for future reference, especially the setup and upgrade logs.

:)

Stargate38, Jul 1, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows.old directory deletion

Hi Everett, what directory do you want to delete?

If it is C:\Windows, you cannot remove that directory, it contains the Operating System

If it is C:\Windows.old you can remove it along with anything else that can be safely removed as follows:

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jul 1, 2018
  3. Disk Cleanup after The anniversary update

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Disk Cleanup. I will certainly help you.

As per your query, I would like to inform you that, it is safe to delete all the files with extension .tmp in the temporary files folder.

I suggest you to try deleting the temporary file manually by the steps provided below and check if it helps:

• Go to Windows key+ R and type
      temp
    • Select all of the files and folders within the Temp folder and delete.

Please follow the below link to run disk cleanup:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Kindly update us on the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

Swetha Sree, Jul 1, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans...

Disk Clean Up

Hi Clive, use Disk Cleanup, it will only suggest and delete files and folders that are safe to delete . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans...

1. Looking for files/directories that Disk Cleanup scans... - Similar Threads - Looking files directories

2. Disk Cleanup: Thumbnail File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup: Thumbnail File: Question: I use Disk Cleanup to periodically keep my files clean. I notice that a file called Thumbnail keeps growing in size each day and I have to run Disk Cleanup on regular basis to keep this file from growing larger and larger! How can I prevent this problem?...
  3. Disk cleanup and SFC Scan not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk cleanup and SFC Scan not working in Windows 10: I recently have an issue while trying to run Disk Cleanup. I get the following error whenever I try to run it: [ATTACH] I tried using SFC Scan to fix it, but sfc scan stops and gives a error like this image: [ATTACH]...
  4. Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files

Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files: Usually, whenever I clear system files in the disk cleanup utility, all of the Windows Update Cleanup stuff goes away. However, recently is has been persistently coming back, which is very annoying, The size of the files is consistently around 54 MB. See screenshot below....
  5. disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk cleanup: disk cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/4e0cc450-a69e-4f33-b684-2e2901f62732
  6. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  7. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  8. Problem to safe files to directories and look at this file:...

Problem to safe files to directories and look at this file:...: I have a serious problem to store my files to the directory in Windows 10 and I also have the known problem issue and you can have a look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku-jsZ7HvfA and you can view what is my problem. Basically I am not able to safe the files in the...
  9. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  10. Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup: Hi all. I have had 175mb of Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup for what seems like a few months now which will not seem to go following the routine disk cleanup action. I waited until the next major CU came and went which happened last night but it still says 175mb of...