Windows 10: Looking to improve PC sound

Discus and support Looking to improve PC sound in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Can anyone recommend a good solution to get better sound on my Dell Latitude laptop with Windows 10? I mainly listen to music online - YouTube, radio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WillM, Sep 26, 2016.

1. WillM Win User

Looking to improve PC sound

Can anyone recommend a good solution to get better sound on my Dell Latitude laptop with Windows 10? I mainly listen to music online - YouTube, radio sites, etc... I don't want to go out and buy new speakers so I'm thinking the next best option is an equalizer.

:)

WillM, Sep 26, 2016
  2. Alberto Giura (AlbyTech), Sep 26, 2016
  3. Looking for a MP3 Player with good Bass.

@ korngear : Coreplayer looks interesting, but unfortunately there is no trial version. I don’t want to spend $30 on something without first trying it out; especially since at this point I’m not so convinced that anything out there can truly make a huge
    difference. However, LCGjukebox has a trial. Will give it a try

Anyways, Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions.

In the mean time I’ll keep looking for ways to improve the sound quality (maybe a little bit of pre processing on the PC before loading on to the phone)

optiplexfx, Sep 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you don't want a good pair of speakers, then the next best is headphones.

Personally I wouldn't insult my ears by listening other than briefly to tiny laptop speakers - perhaps yours has better ones.

That said, Winamp includes an equaliser.

Someone recently suggested this:
    Peace, GUI for Equalizer APO download | SourceForge.net
    but it was an absolute pain to uninstall.

Realtek - if you use that- can provide sound enhancements and an equaliser.
    Then there's SoundBlaster (Cinema) which is designed to compensate for rubbish sound quality on laptops.

dalchina, Sep 26, 2016
  5. fireberd Win User
    What model Latitude? But, the Latitude line was designed for business so it probably is just basic sound. If you don't want to use headset, as suggested, the next best thing is external speakers.

fireberd, Sep 26, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    +1 on the speakers. The ones in most laptops are not that good and there's nothing like a 2.0 or 2.1 speakers, IMO.

BunnyJ, Sep 26, 2016
  7. Rocky Win User
    I would suggest new speakers as well.

Rocky, Sep 26, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member
  9. Rocky Win User
    Jeff seems to have found a nice product that would help. Good work.

Rocky, Sep 26, 2016
  10. If you don't want to buy external speakers, you might take a look at audio drivers from Dell for your particular laptop. I am using the Beats Audio driver, but I have an HP. I am not sure if it is available for Dell laptops.

TexasBandit, Sep 26, 2016
  11. Winuser Win User
    There's not much you can do to improve the sound quality of cheap speakers. New speakers such as the ones Jeff posted or headphones\earbuds is your best bet.

Winuser, Sep 26, 2016
  12. I have Bose speaker that has a woofer. I purchased at Best Buy

orlbuckeye, Sep 26, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

I bought a pair of 2-way speakers in a solid box about 20cm tall in China for just over £10 with tone controls- pretty good sound by a company translated as 'Sweet sound'. The friendly guy knocked a bit off for me as a teacher. Another pair we found and had repaired in a local grubby electrician's in wooden cases.. nice.

Personally I have mine hooked up to my 80W 1980's hifi with Acoustic Research 10" speakers.

But Soundblaster Cinema really does make a worthwhile difference if you're moving around.

dalchina, Sep 26, 2016
  14. stephen Win User
    You could try software sound add on's like SRS Audio or DFX Audio enhancer, they have free trial downloads, but without good speakers there is only so much that software can enhance the sound.

Depending on your budget, I would suggest a good pair of headphones with a USB DAC.
    A DAC is a "digital to analogue converter". Google "Firefly black 1.2 or Firefly Red" and check them out
    That would certainly enhance and amplify your sound.

stephen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Looking to improve PC sound - Similar Threads - Looking improve sound

2. First look at the improved Window Snap feature of Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    First look at the improved Window Snap feature of Windows 11: A development build of Microsoft's upcoming Windows 11 operating system leaked last week. One feature that looks like it is going to be improved is the window snapping functionality of the operating system. Microsoft introduced snap functionality for Windows when it released...
  3. A new UI change to improve windows 10 looks

in Windows 10 Customization
    A new UI change to improve windows 10 looks: I have been thinking for a while if I could think anything good for windows 10 and I thought that we can add the following feature. A GENTLE, SWEET CURVE ON THE EDGES OF THE WINDOWS ON ANY APPLICATION. I think that this can make windows look more better and nice looking....
  4. Improve the performance of my PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Improve the performance of my PC: I recently noticed that my PC ran a lot slower and could run fewer apps than before. I opened the task manager while having no apps runningeven in the system tray, and I noticed I was using around 50% of my 8GB of RAM. I scrolled through the list of processes and background...
  5. Looking a sound management software

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking a sound management software: Hey, Since I have started using Zoom (not by choice) I am having a lot of sound problems and I have always wanted a better control over the sound system in my computer. So I am looking for a good, preferably free "sound management" software. I'm not sure if "sound...
  6. Microsoft is looking for suggestions to improve core apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is looking for suggestions to improve core apps in Windows 10: Microsoft is planning to improve the essential apps for Windows 10 and the changes might show up next year. With Windows 10 October 2018 Update, Microsoft is implementing a series of changes in Notepad that is supposed to make this tool a more advanced and better but the...
  7. Looking for recommendations for a surround sound system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Looking for recommendations for a surround sound system: Hey, I'm looking to buy a good surround sound system (5.1 or 7.1, doesn't really make a difference to me). Any recommendations on what i should look for? Also, will my surround work properly if i connect it to my TV then connect that TV to my computer via HDMI? 41900
  8. Adding polish to improve the look and feel of your app (10 by 10)

in Windows 10 News
    Adding polish to improve the look and feel of your app (10 by 10): Designing an app isn’t about patterns or controls—it’s about creating a great experience for your users, every time. While you’re designing with the optimal user experience (UX) in mind, you also have to think about using color effectively, implementing usable controls, and...
  9. looking for a double beep sound

in Windows 10 Support
    looking for a double beep sound: Hello Is there a double beep sound available in Windows that I could access? If not, any site to suggest one to download Martin 37676
  10. Microsoft Windows 10 patent looks to improve Wi-Fi tethering

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Windows 10 patent looks to improve Wi-Fi tethering: If you frequently use Wi-Fi tethering with your Windows Phone to get an internet connection on your latop or Surface, Microsoft’s latest patent might allow you to be able to do it for longer without burning through your battery. A patent named “Power Saving Wi-Fi...