Windows 10: Looking to upgrade my desktop??

Discus and support Looking to upgrade my desktop?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. Here goes. I have a desktop which have had for a number of years was a windows 7 home premium.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by menu, Nov 14, 2015.

1. menu Win User

Looking to upgrade my desktop??

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.
    Here goes.
    I have a desktop which have had for a number of years was a windows 7 home premium.
    But did convert it to windows 10 a while back and now over the last few days did the upgrade to version 1511.10586.3.

Now looking for some advice on maybe updating anything inside the tower.
    I have included the specs of the pc in question here,Any help on any possible upgrades etc.
    Many thanks.

Specs here..
    Computer type PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number It was Home Build windows 7 Home premium.Built by a local computer shop.
    OS Summary Now Operating System Windows 10 1511.10586.3
    CPU AMD Athlon II X2 250 23 °C
    CPU AMD Athlon II X2 250
    Motherboard Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group Model N61PB-M2S (Socket AM2 )
    Memory Total memory slots 4 Used memory slots 2 Free memory slots 2
    Graphics Card Name Generic Non-PnP Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce
    Sound Card Realtek High Definition Audio Playback Devices Realtek Dig
    Monitor(s) Displays Acer

Update your System Spec

Keyboard HID Keyboard Device Device Kind Keyboard Device Name HID K
    Hard Drives Main C drive is now a 120GB SSD With only operating system and programs. Second HDD 1TB with all documents etc.
    Antivirus Karsersky
    Browser Google
    Other Info Summary Operating System Windows 10
    CPU AMD Athlon II X2 250 23 °C Regor 45nm Technology RAM 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (6-6-6-18) Motherboard BIOSTAR Group N61PB-M2S (Socket AM2 ) 40 °C Graphics Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1024x768@60Hz) 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (Biostar Microtech Int'l) Storage 1863GB West

:)

2. Looking to upgrade my WIFI adapter in my Latitude E5530. I also want to go to 16GB of RAM.

Hi Jerry,

It's best to consult your device manufacturer regarding your question. There are settings and configuration that needs to be check for your wireless connection.

Regards.

Gerard Qui, Nov 14, 2015
  3. Looking to upgrade my WIFI adapter in my Latitude E5530. I also want to go to 16GB of RAM.

I am running a I7 3630QM with no heat issues, so I know it is upgradable beyond Dells approval list. I would like to know your opinions on the best upgrade possible. Here is what I am considering: 710662-001 Intel 3160HMW Dual Band WIFI BT Card Wireless-AC.
    710662-001 Intel 3160HMW Dual Band WIFI BT Card Wireless-AC REV A02 Pretty open on RAM. Partial to G.Skill. Thanks

ONLY CHOICE FOR WINDOWS WAS MOBILE. I am running Windows 10 Pro x64.

***Post moved by Moderator to its most appropriate forum.***

JerryIsbell1105, Nov 14, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

What are you using your PC for ? Why do you feel the need to update the system ? Sometimes a system can only be updated if it's worth it and other times it just best to leave it be and maybe think about a new system. It all depends what your needs are .

By any chance is your Processor speed 3.0 GHz Dual-Core ?

sn00ker, Nov 15, 2015
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    In addition to the question of "what do you use your PC for?", I would ask, "what are your expectations for improvement?"

Looking at the specs, I think a new PC with the more recent advances in motherboard, processor, ram, etc., would provide a perceptible improvement in response time you might have enjoyed earlier when you went to the SSD.

How you access the internet might also be a consideration for upgrade if browsing is a regular activity.

Otherwise, your PC is categorically a dinosaur, erm, a legacy with no or limited support for the hardware, motherboard included. Evolving this dinosaur will be limited to adding ram to the 2 free slots, if you can find the slow-speed ram. The existing drivers may have security flaws that were addressed for newer components. Consider yourself lucky that the graphics drivers (Win 8.1?) work on Win 10.

pyramid10, Nov 15, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    As to the RAM, Crucial.com - DRAM, solid state drive (SSD) memory upgrades for Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS shows a motherboard model N61PC-M2S but not the N61PB-M2S. The N61PC-M2S uses PC2-5300 memory.

I have a Custom computer with a Gigabyte mother board and AM2 CPU at 2.8GHz that uses the PC2-5300 modules of 6GB [2 x 2GB and 2 x 1GB] and not experiencing any problem, works quite well with Win10 as it did with Win7 and Win8/8.1.

Berton, Nov 15, 2015
  7. Atomic77 Win User
    Oh my gosh that is one old computer. If I were you at this point I would not be running on anything smaller than a Intel Core i5 processor. and no less than 4gb ram.

Atomic77, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Looking to upgrade my desktop?? - Similar Threads - Looking upgrade desktop

2. desktop icons look weird'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop icons look weird': Why do my desktop icons look smaller and boxed with white lines? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-look-weird/7ec70894-b930-49fe-8668-f577fce18042
  3. desktop icons look weird'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop icons look weird': Why do my desktop icons look smaller and boxed with white lines? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-look-weird/7ec70894-b930-49fe-8668-f577fce18042
  4. Looking to upgrade my CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking to upgrade my CPU: Looking into new Intel CPUs with heterogenous big/little design, and hearing about how Windows 11 supports the new Thread Director while Windows 10 does not, leading to performance decreases in some cases. Does anybody know if Microsoft will ever add Thread Director...
  5. RAM Upgrade in my desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAM Upgrade in my desktop: I use gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2PT MB, which have Kingstone 4 GB DUEL CHENNEL CL-9 RAM 1333Mhz . I shall upgrade to extra 4GB or 8 GB RAM, but I confuse that in which frequency Mhz RAM will supported my MB. Please guide me to this.thanks in advance....
  6. Looking for a simple weather widget for my desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking for a simple weather widget for my desktop: I've used Rainmeter but sometimes the service is down and I have to wait it out, or try another skin. I just want something simple, small, and dependable for my desktop showing Temp. and forcast. I don't want to click on anything to view it. submitted by /u/sschardi...
  7. Grainy looking desktop display

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Grainy looking desktop display: Hi all, I was playing a game via Origin. The game crashed, prompted a pop-up showing a DirectX error code, however I did not get to properly read this as it disappeared. I was then returned to the desktop screen to find that it is now all grainy with pixelated...
  8. looking for a GPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    looking for a GPU upgrade: Hello all, its been a while since i posted here, i have done some research on some GPU and i am slightly still confused as to what to get, since i am unable to do a full upgrade to my current system, i have looked at a evga 1060 6 gig card , i am currently using a evga 750...
  9. Looking at a new desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking at a new desktop: Would it be possible for some advice on this desktop,As I could be looking for something new and to upgrade the one I have now. Many thanks. Chillblast Fusion Centurion - Skylake PC :: Systems less than £750 :: Choose a desktop by price :: Desktops :: Chillblast The...
  10. Upgrading my desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading my desktop: Hello,Just became a member here last nightm Looking to upgrade my desktop,The one that I have running is an oldish one that I upgraded to windows 10 from the existing windows 7. It's a biostar mother board and has only the option of 4GB ram.So looking for something more...