Windows 10: loosing ethernet connection on sleep

Discus and support loosing ethernet connection on sleep in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Soooo ... I have read a lot of posts on this subject but still not found an answer. I have 4 computers networked together .... two windows 7 units,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xtal01, Mar 3, 2017.

1. xtal01 Win User

loosing ethernet connection on sleep

Soooo ... I have read a lot of posts on this subject but still not found an answer.

I have 4 computers networked together .... two windows 7 units, one linux unit and one windows 10 unit.

The problem is with the windows 10 unit.

When it goes to sleep, I loose my Ethernet connection.

I can actually watch on the other computers as the unit drops off the network (and out of the homegroup).

This means I can not talk to. There is no way of waking it up.

I need to walk over to it and actually wake it up ... then I see it come back up on the network.

Great unless I am in the shop rather than the house and I need to walk over to the house to wake it up.

I did all the things suggested including going into the Device Manager and making sure
    1) that I have "allow the computer to turn off this device" ... not checked
    2) "wake on magic packet" ... enabled
    3) "wake on pattern match" ... enabled

Still when it goes to sleep, I loose the connection.

So, I now tell the computer not to sleep .... enter "never" in both "sleep" under power and sleep and "never" under sleep in the "additional power settings".

The problem is, now my hard driver never sleeps!

Even if I have not used the computer for several hours, it is still spinning and the light flashes about once every 10 seconds.

My problem is, I can't believe it is good for the drive to run 24/7!

When I had it in sleep mode, saw (and could hear) that the drive stopped .... did not run for most of the day since I only use my computer for a hour or two at most each day.

Now the drive is running all the time. I assume it will fail a lot sooner doing this.

So, what am I missing?

Is there some setting in Windows 10 where I can tell the computer .... or more correctly the hard drive .... to shut down without loosing the Ethernet connection so that I can access this computer on the network when I want to?

Thanks so much ...... Mike

:)

xtal01, Mar 3, 2017

2. Ethernet over wifi Windows 10

Hi,

I am connected to my home network using Wifi and Ethernet. I prefer using Ethernet because it is much faster, but my wifi keeps overriding the ethernet connection.

If I disable wifi, I loose internet connectivity.

Please help.

Thanks

SankalpBajpai7, Mar 3, 2017
  3. yeterp Win User
    Computer will not sleep when connected to internet.

My Dell desktop, running Windows 10, will not sleep if I am connected the the internet by Ethernet or WiFi. If I disconnect the Ethernet cable and WiFi it will sleep. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter

yeterp, Mar 3, 2017
  4. vgchat Win User

Set how many minutes to wait before making your HDD sleep.

loosing ethernet connection on sleep [​IMG]

vgchat, Mar 4, 2017
  5. xtal01 Win User
    I found this setting. From playing with it, it seems it sets the time till the hard drive shuts down when the computer goes into sleep mode ... is this correct?

So it seems that if the computer never goes into sleep mode, the hard drive will never shut down ... and that is the problem. I want the hard drive to sleep without having the computer go to sleep so I can still access it on the network.

The moment it goes to sleep, I loose the computer off my network and thus can not access it.

Thanks .... Mike

xtal01, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. loosing ethernet connection on sleep - Similar Threads - loosing ethernet connection

2. Sleep mode disabling ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sleep mode disabling ethernet connection: Hi,For the past few months, sleep mode has been disabling the ethernet connection on two PCs both connected to the same router through wired ethernet connection. A simple disable/enable on ethernet in the network connections settings page re-enables the connection. Display...
  3. unplug and plug back in looses ethernet connection

unplug and plug back in looses ethernet connection: I updated my second computer from Win 8.1 to 10 20H2 now, when I unplug my ethernet cable from modem for about 3-5 seconds, the internet won't come back in? Also, the mouse freezes up a lot. I updated the Lan drivers for windows 10 if I restart the computer, everything is...
  4. Loosing WIFI connection

Loosing WIFI connection: After updating to Win 10 v2004 I am loosing my internet connection, in fact I loose all wifi connections and cannot see any wifi connections. I have another PC which connect perfectly to the internet. When I reboot my laptop, I can see the wifi connections and connects...
  5. sleep switches ethernet connection to public!!!

sleep switches ethernet connection to public!!!: Every time the computer goes to "sleep" and I wake it up, the ethernet connection gets changed to "public" instead of "private" so the internet connection will not connect. If I run the homegroup trouble shooter, the setting gets changed back to private and the internet...
  6. PC looses connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC looses connection: I'm not even sure that's an apt description. MWB worked seamlessly for a couple of weeks. Now, and I can't put my finger exactly on when, it will from time to time quit working. I'll switch from the host to the other pc both W10 -- different versions -- and the mouse /...
  7. Ethernet Adapter looses connectivity after PC enters Sleep Mode

Ethernet Adapter looses connectivity after PC enters Sleep Mode: Hi, I recently upgraded to a new PC. When PC wakes from sleep the internet is initially disabled and I have to wait for it to come back on. Furthermore, when the PC sleeps I loose all power to my USB devices, and cannot wake the PC with the mouse or keyboard. I must press...
  8. Loosing internet connection

Loosing internet connection: Odd issue, internet keeps disconnecting, sometimes only 15-30min between sometimes hours between. The wireless shows as connected and diagnostic doesnt help. only thing that helps is to disable and enable it OR wait for a few min and it usually comes back on its own....
  9. Loosing Ethernet Only When my PC Goes To Sleep

Loosing Ethernet Only When my PC Goes To Sleep: Okay so I stated, I keep loosing Ethernet Connection ONLY when my PC goes to sleep for Example: (I leave my PC on and go somewhere for about an hour or something the PC goes to sleep mode after 30 minutes) so every time this happens I loose my Ethernet Connection... but it...
  10. Loosing connection for a while

Loosing connection for a while: Hello. Iam loosing connection with an internet for a couple of seconds every time I connect to the VPN, Steam or starting a few other applications. I had this same problem with Win8 and now with fresh Win10 but not with Win7. What can cause this behavior? As you can see there...