Windows 10: Loosing HD Space...HELP !

Discus and support Loosing HD Space...HELP ! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Dell Tablet running Windows 10. 32Gig HD. Down to 5 Gigs free space. I keep loosing free space. A month ago I had 6.5 Gigs of free space.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by milford, Jun 4, 2017.

1. milford Win User

Loosing HD Space...HELP !

I have a Dell Tablet running Windows 10. 32Gig HD. Down to 5 Gigs free space. I keep loosing free space. A month ago I had 6.5 Gigs of free space. Today, I am down to 5 Gigs.

I have no idea whats going on. I have turned off Windows Auto Updates, turned off the Windows Store, removed all downloads to a flash drive. Un-installed all extra/useless programs. Running Ccleaner every other day. Only thing being installed is A/V updates.

Can anyone offer any help? I have nothing left to remove. *Sad

:)

milford, Jun 4, 2017

2. N97 Issues

I converted it to MP4 .... Ya... Cos H264 codec is simply too much space i dun wish to loose cos the screen is not HD so it would be a waste to convert it to HD ya... The bitrate of the movie was 1200... Using Xilisoft Video convertor ultimate..

firechaos---01, Jun 4, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Toshiba laptop

No bootable device means that the computer cannot see your C:\ drive.

Why? The most obvious implication is that either the connector to the HD has come loose or the HD is broken.

Try shaking it. Does anything rattle, sound loose?

You might want to take it to a repair shop and ask them to open it up and give you an estimate of cost to repair.

Rohn007, Jun 4, 2017
  4. me75006 Win User

You might consider getting a SSD, solid state drive,
    120gb to 128gbruns ~ $50
    256gb ~ $100

If you do, you might uninstall a few programs & see if you can free up some space.
    Then install Macrium Reflect, free version.
    Study up on that product.
    You would want to build an Emergency rescue disk first.
    Then you could clone your present hard drive to the SSD.
    Swap then out, and in most case you could them boot up.
    Your old hard drive would still be usable just in case.

me75006, Jun 4, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    I don't think the OP is going to be able to cram an SSD into a Dell Venu 8 Pro Tablet shell.

Edwin, Jun 4, 2017
  6. me75006 Win User
    Good catch Edwin.

Use of adding a microSD card may be an option.
    Check user manuals/documentation.

found here:

me75006, Jun 4, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I added a 64GB MicroSDXC card to my Venue 8. Sometimes have to point downloads to that disk instead of C:.

Berton, Jun 4, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

Maybe a full System Disk Cleanup on C:

Edwin, Jun 4, 2017
  9. milford Win User
    I just found out Windows Update is on. I turned it off in "Services", but somehow it changed from disabled to manual. Not happy about this.

Does anyone know where the files used for updating Windows are downloaded to? I'm thinking to delete them to free up some space.

milford, Jun 5, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    C: Drive
    You need to run Disk Cleanup (System Files) to delete them.

Edwin, Jun 5, 2017
  11. Mystere Win User
    Two things you can do:

1) Disable System Protection, I'm sure there's a tutorial on the site here.

2) Turn off Hibernation, again probably a tutorial here.

Also, run Disk Cleanup Wizard, make sure to select system files and select everything.

Mystere, Jun 5, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    1) turn off in advanced system settings.

2) run "powercfg - h off" from admin command prompt

3) correct about disk cleanup.

cereberus, Jun 5, 2017
  13. milford Win User

I got it! Thanks everyone! Disk cleanup gave me 3.5 Gigs to clean. It took half the night, but right now I have 7.54 Gigs free space. Doesn't sound like much, but thats a quarter of my hard drive. Again. Thanks everyone.

milford, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Loosing HD Space...HELP ! - Similar Threads - Loosing Space HELP

2. C Drive loosing space after windows 10 2004 Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive loosing space after windows 10 2004 Update: I have recently updated to windows 10 2004 Enterprise. I have noticed that my drive keeps loosing space even when I have not copied any new files to the drive or install any updates or new software. I have looked into the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS, there is only 1 file that is 2MB...
  3. Loosing most of my hard drive space

Loosing most of my hard drive space: I have a HP Stream converted laptop. I'm currently a member of the insider program. I'm having a problem with most of my hard drive space. Between my regular Edge and the Insider Edge they take up almost all of my free space. Can I remove the Edge operating system that is...
  4. Loosing Wifi

Loosing Wifi: Hello Tech Support, I bought a used laptop. I wiped it out and reinstalled applications. Since day 1 ,my wifi keeps dropping. I've tried to reset the modem. I did some cmd commands to reset ipv6, catalog, etc. and its still happening. My drivers are UTD. I'm loosing my...
  5. Strange report on open space on HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange report on open space on HD: My wife has a Windows 10 computer with a 512 gb HD that seems to indicate the HD is nearly full. If I click on the C drive and properties, is reports there is only 8gb free. If instead, I check the properties on every folder in the C drive, the total used gb adds up to only...
  6. Strange report on open space on HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange report on open space on HD: My wife has a Windows 10 computer with a 512 gb HD that seems to indicate the HD is nearly full. If I click on the C drive and properties, is reports there is only 8gb free. If instead, I check the properties on every folder in the C drive, the total used gb adds up to only...
  7. How to consume Unallocated space on HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to consume Unallocated space on HD: Here is a picture of my Disc 0: [img] How can I use Unallocated space and all not needed partitions including J? This is where I have my C drive and I like to make it as big as possible. Thanks 105820
  8. Intel HD 530 looses second monitor when TV is off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Intel HD 530 looses second monitor when TV is off: My config: Intel Core i5 6500 with Intel HD 530 Gigabyte H170 Motherboard AMD Radeon R9 380 Windows 10 ver.1511 with all latest drivers are installed. A regular ASUS Monitor is connected through DVI to AMD Radeon Graphics Card and is set as the primary monitor An...
  9. sudden loss of HD space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sudden loss of HD space: I had almost 300 g of 500 g free and suddenly it went to under 100 g. I did a system restore from before the memory loss and it is still there. can I find these 'files' and delete them or what is the problem? 28473
  10. Loosing tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Loosing tiles: On my Windows 10 touchscreen laptop I seem to have 3 modes. Pc and tablet but also tablet with no tiles . Touching somewhere on the bottom of the screen will toggle the tiles on and off. Is this correct 26874