Windows 10: Lose autohidden taskbar AND windows don't land on top with Alt-Tab ...

Discus and support Lose autohidden taskbar AND windows don't land on top with Alt-Tab ... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a fairly new Windows 10 laptop (Lenovo T460s), which had lots of issues out of the box. Some were resolved with driver updates (networking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by witman, Jun 26, 2016.

1. witman Win User

Lose autohidden taskbar AND windows don't land on top with Alt-Tab ...

I have a fairly new Windows 10 laptop (Lenovo T460s), which had lots of issues out of the box. Some were resolved with driver updates (networking issues), others by turning off hardware video acceleration in Office (routine crashes). Now, I have just one left that I've solved in a tolerable, but not good, way.

When I use Alt-Tab to switch between windows (some Office programs, Firefox, and Chrome), the window that I select with Alt-Tab often doesn't appear on top. I have to minimize windows to get to the one I selected. In a seemingly unrelated issue, the autohide taskbar sometimes won't reappear when I bring the mouse to the bottom.

I solved both by setting the registry entry AltTabSettings to a DWORD of 1. This results in an ugly Alt-Tab experience, but both probelms have gone away. Tried turning off hardware acceleration at the video driver level, but that didn't resolve the problem consistently.

I have the latest OS (10.0.10586), Win 10 Pro, and Intel HD 520 Graphics. Hard to imagine I'm the only one with this problem ...

Any wisdom from the crowd will be welcome.

:)

witman, Jun 26, 2016

2. Lose autohidden taskbar AND windows don't land on top with Alt-Tab ...

I have a fairly new Windows 10 laptop (Lenovo T460s), which had lots of issues out of the box. Some were resolved with driver updates (networking issues), others by turning off hardware video acceleration in Office (routine crashes). Now, I have just one
    left that I've solved in a tolerable, but not good, way.

When I use Alt-Tab to switch between windows (some Office programs, Firefox, and Chrome), the window that I select with Alt-Tab often doesn't appear on top. I have to minimize windows to get to the one I selected. In a seemingly unrelated issue, the autohide
    taskbar sometimes won't reappear when I bring the mouse to the bottom.

I solved both (for a time) by setting the registry entry AltTabSettings to a DWORD of 1. This results in an ugly Alt-Tab experience, but both problems went away for a day or two (no reboots), and the "window doesn't come to top" problem is now back. The autohidden
    task bar is still reappearing when he should.

Had previously tried turning off hardware acceleration at the video driver level, but that didn't resolve the problem consistently.

I have the latest OS (10.0.10586), Win 10 Pro, and Intel HD 520 Graphics. Hard to imagine I'm the only one with this problem ...

Any wisdom from the crowd will be welcome.

PaulWitman, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Lose autohidden taskbar AND windows don't land on top with Alt-Tab ...

Hi Paul,

From the information given by you, please try to do a clean boot and check if the Alt+ Tab issue is resolved.

Putting your system inClean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform
    a Clean Boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

After doing a clean boot, if the issue persists, please try to create a new account and check if it helps.

a. Type Settings on the search bar.

b. Click on Accounts.

c. Go to Family and Other users, in that click on Add someone else to PC.

d. In there click on Microsoft Account if you want to create an MS account or else click on Local Account.

e. There give a name to the account and provide password if you want.

Now, make that account as an admin account, by following the below steps:

a. Go to control panel.

b. In User accounts and Account type select
    change account type.

c. Here select the account you have. There select
    change account type.

d Select the Administrator
    button and click change account type.

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Amarjeet_Paul, Jun 26, 2016
  4. witman Win User

Update - using the AltTabSettings to go back to the old (actually much worse than Windows 7) Alt-Tab experience solved the problem for quite a while, but the "window doesn't come to top" issue is back now.

witman, Jun 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Lose autohidden taskbar AND windows don't land on top with Alt-Tab ... - Similar Threads - Lose autohidden taskbar

2. Taskbar disappearing when alt tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar disappearing when alt tab: Whenever I alt tab, my taskbar disappears. Below is a screenshot of google, then world of warcraft replacing the taskbar. This happens with discord and other games too....
  3. Taskbar disappearing when alt tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar disappearing when alt tab: Whenever I alt tab, my taskbar disappears. Below is a screenshot of google, then world of warcraft replacing the taskbar. This happens with discord and other games too....
  4. Taskbar disappearing when alt tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. problem with alt tab and taskbar its lagging

problem with alt tab and taskbar its lagging: i need help with my computer, my taskbar and alt tab sometimes is not working the alt tab works but it doesnt go to other tab it just stays on the same tab and i have to press the windows key for it to work again but it still happens again. anyone know how to fix?...
  6. Windows 11 Taskbar/Alt Tab issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Taskbar/Alt Tab issues: Hello,I recently installed Windows 11 and have noticed a few issues. Though this one is not as major, you can drag browsers or apps to cover the taskbar now. Not sure if this is intended, but please let me know if you can turn this setting off. More importantly, not sure if...
  7. Windows 11 Taskbar/Alt Tab issues

Windows 11 Taskbar/Alt Tab issues: Hello,I recently installed Windows 11 and have noticed a few issues. Though this one is not as major, you can drag browsers or apps to cover the taskbar now. Not sure if this is intended, but please let me know if you can turn this setting off. More importantly, not sure if...
  8. Can't alt tab when I set my taskbar to the top of my screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't alt tab when I set my taskbar to the top of my screen: Yesterday I couldn't alt tab into any of my games and the only way I was able to get in is if I spam the game icon on my taskbar. For some reason setting my taskbar to the bottom of my screen fixes it. I don't really like it at the bottom so I wanted to know if there was a...
  9. Taskbar showing up on Alt+Tab screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar showing up on Alt+Tab screen: My taskbar started showing up on the alt+tab screen yesterday. It shows like a sort of app but when you switch to it, nothing happens. I tried to click X in hope of closing it, but it instead shows the Shut Down Windows dialogue. I plugged in a flash drive from my friend...
  10. Taskbar glitches when alt-tabbing

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar glitches when alt-tabbing: While this isn't a serious problem, it's definitely a hell of an annoyance. When I alt-tab from several full-screen games, such as League of Legends, this is the result, sometimes it differs. In the image below, you can clearly see that something's wrong with the taskbar. I...