Windows 10: Lose WiFi connection after screen re-enable, after timed screen shutdn

Discus and support Lose WiFi connection after screen re-enable, after timed screen shutdn in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an Insignia 8" tablet that I use to listen to an internet radio station. WiFi connection to my 2Wire 3801HGV router. I have it powered by the AC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rudy, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Rudy Win User

Lose WiFi connection after screen re-enable, after timed screen shutdn

I have an Insignia 8" tablet that I use to listen to an internet radio station. WiFi connection to my 2Wire 3801HGV router. I have it powered by the AC charger. I have the display to turn off after 5 minutes, never to go into sleep mode when powered by AC. After the 5 minutes the display is turned off, the music continues as expected and will continue for hours. But if I try to do anything I loose my WiFi.

Right after the screen is shut off I can enable it again with a stroke. Then the music stops. I no longer have internet access.

Network settings says I still am connected but somewhere the connection is broken. I disconnect from my router and then try to reconnect and it will not. I get, Checking Network Requirements, Can't connect to this Network. The only way I have been able to get connected is to do a restart.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I have not found any settings that have been useful. All it should be doing is shutting off the screen. Not go into any other sleep or power down state.

:)

2. Rudy74 Win User

Lose WiFi connection after screen re-enable, after timed screen shutdown

This was an annoyance but not a serious problem, so I put off trying to figure out what was going wrong. After having this problem from day one it suddenly disappeared. I think it was fixed with an automatic update to Windows. That's my best guess as nothing
    else has changed.

Rudy74, Jan 30, 2016
  3. Lose WiFi connection after screen re-enable, after timed screen shutdown

Hi Rudy,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you for the issue.

It would be grateful if you can reply to this question in order to assist you further:

• Does this issue occurs when connected to Wired connection or only with Wi-Fi connection?
    • Does the same issue occurs with other devices as well?

Mean while I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps:

Method 1. Run Network adaptor trouble shooter

You may try Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services as a first step to diagnose and repair common Network issues.

To run the trouble shooter follow the steps given below

• Press Windows key+ X key, Select
      Control Panel.

• Click on Troubleshooting, Click
      View All.

• Click Network Adaptor and follow the instructions
    If issue still persists try method 2.

Method 2: Install the Network drivers in Compatibility Mode.

Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
    ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
    ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Run Windows Update and download the latest driver:

How
    to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jan 30, 2016
  4. brummyfan Win User

Hi Rudy,
    Welcome to the forums, go to Device manager, expand Network adapters, right click Wi-Fi, Properties, go to Power management tab, untick "Allow the computer to turn off......" and reboot, HTH.

brummyfan, Jan 30, 2016
  5. Rudy Win User
    When I expand Network adapters I get,

>Network adaptersRealtek RTL8723 Wireless LAN 802.11n SDIO Network AdapterUpdate Driver Software
    Disable
    Uninstall
    Scan for hardware changes
    Properties

I do properties on it and I get the following options.

General Advanced Driver Details Events Resources

Advanced options are Antenna Diversity
    Bandwidth
    Multi-Channel Concurrent
    Wake on Magic Packet
    Wake on Pattern Match
    Wireless Mode
    I don't have anything that looks like power management there.

Under Power Options Sleep
    Hibernate
    On Battery: Never
    Plugged in: Never
    Display
    Turn off display after
    On battery: 4 Minutes
    Plugged in: 10 Minutes
    I did a search on the internet for "Allow the computer to turn off" and I did see one example with Power Management as a tab in properties of the device. (a mouse) There is no Power Management tab in the properties for the Realtek adapter on my tablet.

When I look at Properties
    DetailsProperty - Power DataI getPower capabilities:
    0000005D
    PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
    PDCAP_D2_SUPPORTED
    PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
    PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D0_SUPPORTED
    PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D2_SUPPORTED

Power state mappings:
    S0 -> D0
    S1 -> D3
    S2 -> D3
    S3 -> D3
    S4 -> D3
    S5 -> D3

brummyfan - Thank you for the welcome.

6. brummyfan Win User
    Hi Rudy,
    I missed that it's a tablet and wait for someone else to chime in as I am not familiar with the tablets, sorry.

brummyfan, Jan 30, 2016
  7. Rudy Win User
    Your post got me to look into areas that I had not checked. All good.

8. brummyfan Win User

I'm glad for you and well done.

brummyfan, Jan 31, 2016
  9. BuzzFuzz Win User
    Hey, same problem here, but with lan connection. Unticked Sleep in device manager.
    What else I can do?

I've checked powercfg and Intel Ethernet Device is there wake programmable.
    Hope this info help to you..I'm not sure if this wake settings is also connected with my problem.
    (check attached photo)

Just want to fix this annoying internet disconnection during the night.

BuzzFuzz, Apr 25, 2016
  10. hpps1 Win User
    Hi Rudy,

I've been running into the same problem with my tablet.

Could you share how you got this dropping wifi problem fixed?

TIA

hpps1, Jul 12, 2017
  11. Rudy Win User
    This will not be any help. I couldn't fix it. But it seems like a Windows update fixed it eventually. Its been a while so I forget the details.

12. hpps1 Win User
    OK, thank you for the reply.

hpps1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lose WiFi connection after screen re-enable, after timed screen shutdn - Similar Threads - Lose WiFi connection

2. Losing connection to screens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Losing connection to screens: Multiple times while playing videogames my screens just lose connection, as if I plugged them out. All screens lose connection at the same time, so it's not a cable issues. The desktop works fine otherwise, I can hear the sound and can tell its responsive because of it....
  3. Losing connection to screens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Losing connection to screens: Multiple times while playing videogames my screens just lose connection, as if I plugged them out. All screens lose connection at the same time, so it's not a cable issues. The desktop works fine otherwise, I can hear the sound and can tell its responsive because of it....
  4. Blue Screen after connecting to WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen after connecting to WiFi: Hello, everytime after starting up windows 11, after a while connected to a working WiFi connection I get a 0x000000ef blue screen critical process died . this only happens after connected to wifi. Someone can help me?I already tried sfc scannow, analyzing event viewer, DISM...
  5. Blue Screen after connecting to WiFi

Blue Screen after connecting to WiFi: Hello, everytime after starting up windows 11, after a while connected to a working WiFi connection I get a 0x000000ef blue screen critical process died . this only happens after connected to wifi. Someone can help me?I already tried sfc scannow, analyzing event viewer, DISM...
  6. Blue screen after enable virtualization

Blue screen after enable virtualization: HeeyI need to enable virtualization to use wsl on windows, but every time I activate it, windows doesn't even start or when it starts it freezes and i get a blue screen. My motherboard is a gigabyte b450 aorus elite v2, ryzen 5 3600x processor. Bios version is the latests...
  7. Blue screen after enable virtualization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen after enable virtualization: HeeyI need to enable virtualization to use wsl on windows, but every time I activate it, windows doesn't even start or when it starts it freezes and i get a blue screen. My motherboard is a gigabyte b450 aorus elite v2, ryzen 5 3600x processor. Bios version is the latests...
  8. Wifi loses internet connection after a while

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi loses internet connection after a while: My laptop has Windows 10. So due to poor wifi connection in my bedroom, I have to constantly use laptop with ethernet as wifi provider. That way I always have Wi-Fi in my room. The problem is that every time I turn on the Wifi access point and then connect my phone, there is...
  9. Can't connect to the WIFI after the screens are in save mood

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to the WIFI after the screens are in save mood: after updating to 19041.388 I have very strange and annoying issue once the screens goes to power saving mode I lost the Wifi connection, and once I try to use the computer after I just can't connect to the internet unless I restart everything did anyone face this issue...
  10. Lost new Splash screens after re-upgrade from W7 How to re-enable ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost new Splash screens after re-upgrade from W7 How to re-enable ?: Hi there I had to do a W7 revert and then after that I upgraded to W7 and applied all the latest updates. However - I'm just getting the "Bog standard" W10 splash screen now - instead of those nice new ones - trivial I know compared with other people's problems but I...