Windows 10: Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

Discus and support Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, I've downloaded an album, and I'm trying to edit the title tag of each file, however as soon as I edit it and click apply, the file is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RJSmith92, Dec 29, 2017.

1. RJSmith92 Win User

Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

Hi All,

I've downloaded an album, and I'm trying to edit the title tag of each file, however as soon as I edit it and click apply, the file is losing all of its metadata (title, artist, album etc.)

To edit the title, I'm just right clicking on the file > Properties > Details tab and then editing the title field. I've done this many times in the past without issue, however I've noticed this happen a few times within the last few months.

I've copied some old music to the same directory and that works, I can edit the MP3 tags without issue. So it appears it's something within the files themselves.

Has anyone ever had this issue, and is there a way to resolve it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Robert

:)

RJSmith92, Dec 29, 2017

2. Windows 10 File Explorer won't apply my changes to the metadata of audio files

Hello,

Before transferring some .mp3 files from my laptop to my android phone, I wanted to edit the metadata to add info like Title, Album Artist, Album, and Genre. I know the process for that is to right-click on the file in File Explorer, click
    Properties, then go to the Details tab and type in the info. However, when I click
    Apply then OK to accept the changes, File Explorer doesn't recognize them. When I go back to the file's properties after clicking OK, all the details are blank.

It's strange because that never happened to me when I tried to edit metadata in Windows 8, and it hasn't happened to me before when trying to do the same in Windows 10.

Tre' Jones, Dec 29, 2017
  3. When I add details (title, contributing artists) to an MP3 file, they won't stay there. Why is this occurring?

Where on your hard drive are these MP3 files stored?

If its in OneDrive, that might be why.

Could you also check the properties of the file to see if it is set to read only? If it is, uncheck it.

I would also try one of the the free MP3 tag editors to edit instead. Scroll down to the section 'Free MP3 Tagging Programs'

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/free-software-...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 29, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey RJSmith92,
    I've had the same issue with some music files. In my case, I think the metadata was corrupt when I downloaded them. I started using MP3Tag Editor and haven't had anymore issues with metadata. Mp3tag - Download

Eagle51, Dec 29, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    I agree with the Eagle. If you want to mass edit metadata for MP3 files, then it is best to have it all laid out in front of you to edit... so you don't have to open the Properties window for each file. Even though this is a 3rd party program, it's a very useful and productive program to use if you do mass metadata editing.

Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file [​IMG]

pepanee, Dec 29, 2017
  6. Jeddie Win User
    +1 ^^^
    Use a tag prgramme (I do). It is much easier to view/change your tags in bulk.

Jeddie, Dec 29, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    I agree - routinely using a dedicated tag editor is more straightforward.

However, you can restore some features to Windows - Properties, Details and the Details pane in File explorer using free File Metadata
    File Metadata - Home

E.g.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file - Similar Threads - Losing metadata editing

2. Problem editing properties of .mp3 files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem editing properties of .mp3 files: I have a bunch of .mp3 files from various sources downloads, ripped from CDs, vinyl, etc. Some do not have the Album Artist field filled in, but have Title, Contributing Artist, Album, Genre & Year. If I go to Properties>Details and type in the Album Artist then click OK, all...
  3. Problem editing properties of .mp3 files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem editing properties of .mp3 files: I have a bunch of .mp3 files from various sources downloads, ripped from CDs, vinyl, etc. Some do not have the Album Artist field filled in, but have Title, Contributing Artist, Album, Genre & Year. If I go to Properties>Details and type in the Album Artist then click OK, all...
  4. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  5. File properties and metadata

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File properties and metadata: Hi, Microsoft, This is an important question that has bugged me for a long time. I understand there are ways to add metadata to office files by document properties in word, excel, access etc and pdf files e.g. by properties, keyword etc. Those are answers that keep show up...
  6. No longer able to edit mp3 metadata

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No longer able to edit mp3 metadata: I checked wav and m4a, I'm still able to edit metadata with those. I haven't had a problem editing mp3's before. With File Explorer, Groove Music, and even navigating to Details under Properties. I can't even give the song a star rating. I checked that they weren't marked...
  7. Editing MP3 Properties

Editing MP3 Properties: When editing a File Name in an MP3 file, the system deletes the Title property. When editing any property in a group of files, the system deletes all Title values. This is a new problem since the last update. I have over nearly 200,000 MP3 files and have been editing...
  8. MP3 file property details

MP3 file property details: When I update mp3 properties details contributing artist, a drop down window appears with artist names. How do I add artist to this list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp3-file-property-details/16ba24b3-cbf1-48b6-864c-c88c978712bc"
  9. Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files: I'm in the process of trying to organise and categorise my media files using file properties/metadata. When I go to the properties of, for example, an .mp4 file, I can edit the 'details' such as Title, Subtitle, Rating, Contributing Artists, Genre, Year, etc. However, in...
  10. Win. 10 Unable to Edit Properties of Mp3 files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win. 10 Unable to Edit Properties of Mp3 files: I run windows 10 and use Windows Media Player to listen to my music. Recently I noticed that i was getting a lot of "unknown (artist, genre, album, ect.)". Usually kept the song names as the file name. In Media Player I can edit the info so that it shows properly in the...