Windows 10: Loss of audio

Discus and support Loss of audio in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had perfect audio yesterday. Today I don't think I changed anything, but I don't have audio anymore. At first I had a red X over the tray icon and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ecl, Mar 19, 2016.

1. ECL
    ecl Win User

Loss of audio

I had perfect audio yesterday. Today I don't think I changed anything, but I don't have audio anymore. At first I had a red X over the tray icon and got an error saying that the audio service wasn't running. I restarted a few times and the X and error went away. But I still have no audio, even though I can move the slider on the tray icon. If I try to play Spotify, for example, it gives the error "can't play the current song." I'm using the sound adapter built into the Asus Z97-A motherboard. I already checked many troubleshooting sites. I reinstalled the audio driver. I tried multiple playback devices.

Thanks in advance.

:)

2. Ramon Imp Win User

Loss of audio

Hi Fredie,

The challenge that you're experiencing with your computer audio is possibly related to your sound driver or speaker settings. Sometimes, restarting your computer helps in resolving this issue by refreshing its processes and services. If that doesn't work,
    we recommend running the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the instructions below. This built-in troubleshooter will try to diagnose and resolve the issues that it can find:

1. In the search field on your taskbar, type Control Panel, then press
    Enter.

2. On the View by options located at the top-right corner of the Window, select
    Large icons.

3. Go to Troubleshooting.

4. On the left panel, select View all.

5. Click Hardware and Devices.

6. Click Next to run the troubleshooter.

7. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists, please follow the steps on this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot sound problems in Windows 10.

Keep us posted and we'll be willing to assist you further.

Ramon Imp, Mar 19, 2016
  3. Loss of audio

after a recent restore my computer says that there are no audio devises installed. How is it possible to get sound again? Thank you.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

frediethomson, Mar 19, 2016
  4. bookfox Win User

Loss of audio

Try using the default/generic audio driver in Win 10? In device manager, tell it to update the audio driver but using the 'browse' option as opposed to 'search automatically'. After clicking browse, you'll get a list - 'HD audio device' (I think its called) would be the one you want. Not the brand name version such as IDT or RealTek for example.

bookfox, Mar 19, 2016
  5. ECL
    ecl Win User
    Tried it, but nothing changed. I found that Multimedia Class Scheduler is missing from Services. My system can't find mmcss.dll. I read that this process is critical for audio, but it seems to be gone from my computer. Do you know how to restore it? sfc /scannow didn't do anything.

6. bookfox Win User
    Try DISM ? It should restore or repair any missing files.

bookfox, Mar 19, 2016
  7. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Mar 19, 2016
  8. ECL
    ecl Win User

Loss of audio

Repair install of Windows fixed it. Thanks.

9. jds63 Win User
    Good to know, your welcome.

jds63, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Loss of audio

1. Loss of audio - Similar Threads - Loss audio

2. Windows 11 HDMI audio loss after sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 HDMI audio loss after sleep.: Hi everyone,I have a 2070 super connected to an LG CX. If I switch off the TV and send the PC to sleep, it will wake up without HDMI audio.It is really annoying. Solve this, apparently it is several years this problem exists and it does happen with every type of hardware....
  3. Windows 11 HDMI audio loss after sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 HDMI audio loss after sleep.: Hi everyone,I have a 2070 super connected to an LG CX. If I switch off the TV and send the PC to sleep, it will wake up without HDMI audio.It is really annoying. Solve this, apparently it is several years this problem exists and it does happen with every type of hardware....
  4. Real Time Audio Monitoring without latency in W11 - loss of control available in W10 to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Real Time Audio Monitoring without latency in W11 - loss of control available in W10 to...: Like many I have noticed who have in the past been able to make and record music using various software tools eg Reason, Magix and the like, it has been possible to allow for simultaneous, latency free, monitoring of line-in recording eg when playing or singing along to music...
  5. Real Time Audio Monitoring without latency in W11 - loss of control available in W10 to...

Real Time Audio Monitoring without latency in W11 - loss of control available in W10 to...: Like many I have noticed who have in the past been able to make and record music using various software tools eg Reason, Magix and the like, it has been possible to allow for simultaneous, latency free, monitoring of line-in recording eg when playing or singing along to music...
  6. how can I fix loss of audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can I fix loss of audio: I lost my audio need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-loss-of-audio/9fb43925-b89c-4781-8b82-9796f00a1111
  7. how can I fix loss of audio

how can I fix loss of audio: I lost my audio need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-loss-of-audio/9fb43925-b89c-4781-8b82-9796f00a1111
  8. randon loss of signal while gaming sometimes with continued audio pc stays on but...

randon loss of signal while gaming sometimes with continued audio pc stays on but...: While gaming sometime 30s sometimes 10m in i will loose singal to monitor pc will still run keyboard and mouse will not disconnect, audio can still be heard,forced to turn off psu and restart to fix, been happening for a while, happens with apex legends, cod any first person...
  9. randon loss of signal while gaming sometimes with continued audio pc stays on but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    randon loss of signal while gaming sometimes with continued audio pc stays on but...: While gaming sometime 30s sometimes 10m in i will loose singal to monitor pc will still run keyboard and mouse will not disconnect, audio can still be heard,forced to turn off psu and restart to fix, been happening for a while, happens with apex legends, cod any first person...
  10. Loss of headphones' audio overnight

Loss of headphones' audio overnight: Hello, I am currently using a 2021 Lenovo Legion 5, my headphones have just lost sound after going out of sleep mode overnight. -My laptop still detects the headphones and the equalizer bar still rises when I play an application with sound.-Both my laptop speaker and external...