Windows 10: Loss of Edge, Calculator, Notifications, Maps and now the Start Menu.

Discus and support Loss of Edge, Calculator, Notifications, Maps and now the Start Menu. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This morning ( 2016-05-12), I lost Edge while busy posting a comment on this forum, next was calculator, disappeared from my system, then Maps, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Geoff Daniell, May 11, 2016.

1. Loss of Edge, Calculator, Notifications, Maps and now the Start Menu.

This morning ( 2016-05-12), I lost Edge while busy posting a comment on this forum, next was calculator, disappeared from my system, then Maps, and then when I tried to see what was going on, the "start menu" also disappeared on me!.

At the same time, I now see I can't access One Drive on line, and, [Settings/Accounts/Your e-mail and accounts] is now not displaying anymore, only the line of rolling blue dots.

Logged on with my MS account .......

Any ideas anyone where I should start looking?
    Will a reversion to a restore point help?

Thanks
    Geoff
    On MS 10586.318. Win 10 Pro.

The only update that I am aware of today was the Google Chrome update to version 50.0.2661.102

:)

Geoff Daniell, May 11, 2016

2. Few apps do not respond some times

Some times these ( Start menu, notification bar, Microsoft edge, maps, store ) not responding properly.

Harish Kumar1215, May 11, 2016
  3. BRHOPRH Win User
    Loss of Windows 10 Start Menu and Edge Icon and synched email

Hi everyone

I installed Windows 10 about 4 weeks ago (previously had Windows 7 Home) and initially every thing went well. Then 2 weeks ago whilst using the pc, it froze and subsequently I lost the Start applications menu. The Edge Browser icon disappeared as did the
    synched email function.

System restore does not recognize a useful recovery point. I can access the net via Google Chrome and still have access to emails via outlook installed on my pc..

Any advice, please?

BRHOPRH, May 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Loss of Edge, Calculator, Notifications, Maps and now the Start Menu.

Someone just reported similar symptoms having had the most recent Win 10 update KB3156421 to .318.

I wonder..?

You can surely try a system restore point, and it's strongly recommended to use disk imaging routinely (e.g. Macrium reflect (free) + boot medium + external storage) to allow you to recover easily and quite quickly from difficulties.

dalchina, May 11, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    A fast fix you could try first, if it does not work we can try something else:

In Windows, the hidden file UsrClass.dat stores quite a number of user account related information. In cases when the profile seems not be functioning properly, a simple reset (delete / recreate) of this file might in most cases solve the issue.

Open File Explorer, type %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows in addressbar and hit Enter to open the AppData\Local folder. Select View menu in Explorer, enable Hidden items. Now delete the UsrClass.dat file and reboot.

Loss of Edge, Calculator, Notifications, Maps and now the Start Menu. [​IMG]

When rebooted and the UsrClass.dat file is not found Windows will create a new one. Check if everything works, post here if not.

6. Kari,

Thank you for the help! Will keep you posted of developments. I have not reverted to a restore point, as I would rather understand what is going on before doing anything.

What I did do yesterday was to rune sfc /verifyonly, which repoted back no issues with the OS sw and, If I create a new user using the in-built admin account, that new user account is completely normal.

best

Geoff

Geoff Daniell, May 12, 2016
  7. Unfortunately, Nothing has changed as far as restoring access to the start menu etc.

A new userclass.dat file was created (8kB) compared to the old file which is 3584 kB in size.
    I saved the old file so I can restore it if nec.

best

Geoff

Geoff Daniell, May 12, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

It was worth a try.

Repair install is the next thing I would try: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

If you want to, you can use SFC and DISM commands first to check if they can fix your Windows system.

9. Did all the normal stuff.

Ran sfc /verify only -- get no errors showing up.
    Ran sfc /scannow - ditto no problems
    Ran Dism ... scanhealth --- show nothing is wrong.

Only problem seems to be with my online MS account.

If I create a new user ( local account), all is is well and everything works.

Not keen on the "repair install yet, Still prepared to FF some more before I resort to that .

Compiling a log file with what I have found so far that does not make sense. Traced the problem back to a Windows Defender update that took place on the 4th May 2016, which is the first time there were unexplained times when MS Edge stopped working.

Geoff Daniell, May 14, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    Have you tested switching temporarily to a local account? Tutorial: Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums.

If the issues go away when in local account you can then decide if you want to try the same account again switching it back to an MS account or create a completely new account copying your data from the old account to it.

Why? You know that a repair install keeps all your files and installed software, leaving them intact?

11. bro67 Win User
    Live Tiles have been an on again and off again issue for a long time. It is just possible that Microsoft is pulling certain tiles from the OS, because they are not getting used as they thought that they were. If they show in Universal App's and you can open them, the repair install can end up causing bigger headaches. A Restore point does not always work. As for backup software, there is better options than Macrum.

bro67, May 14, 2016
  12. I created a new account (local) and that works perfectly well. ALL the missing apps are available and work, so does the Start Menu.

Does this mean in fact that nothing is actually wrong with the OS after the updates, as is confirmed by all the normal checks?
    So IF this is true what on earth "damages" an existing MS account?

What I can't do is retain the existing MS account and switch instead to a local account, as the data for the existing account refuse to load so the option to switch to a local account is just not there .

Well I am not sure of that ..... I have lost some things before.

I am now more than bit intrigued by this repetitive failure that plagues all of us that have accepted the so-called "free" upgrade from a previous version of Windows. As the problem repeats itself over and over again. I am not all impressed with the fact the MS can't find the cause and fix it, or, know exactly what is causing but are not fixing it, or, know what causes it but don't have fix for it....

13. Loss of Edge, Calculator, Notifications, Maps and now the Start Menu.

Just spent the weekend "restoring" to a previous restore point ( twice, two different restore points) and the problems remain. So what does one conclude if a restore point fails? Is it just possible that the "damage" does not have anything to do with the OS, but in fact is something corrupt in the user data, in which case the problem just remains ...? Does the creation of a "restore" point only address the OS etc, and does not in fact "store" anything specifically related to user data, specifically, anything on your device related to user profiles?

And I completely agree with you on the "repair install" in relation to universal apps. What does a repair install do if there is nothing wrong with the universal Apps files and files relating to the start menu? The more I scratch the more I seem to find that none of these solutions do anything if there are no corrupt/lost files in the first place.

An Intriguing question that has now arisen with me is what is actually the best way of working? Using ONLY a local account on each device ( like we used to all these years) and laughing off this idea of a "universal MS account" that can be used on more than one device? Is this not where the problem in fact lies?

14. bro67 Win User
    All that you have to do to restore the tiles is go through the steps listed in the tutorial. There is no need to go through a bunch of restore points.

bro67, May 14, 2016
  15. Whoa! -That was strange! Just lost everything on my Start page, so on a whim, I signed out and then signed back in, and Start page is back and all correct tiles . . . what the?

DaveGrant01, May 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Loss of Edge, Calculator, Notifications, Maps and now the Start Menu. - Similar Threads - Loss Edge Calculator

2. The calculator icon changes on the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The calculator icon changes on the start menu: Hi! Can anybody help me? The calculator icon changed on the start menu, but the app seems to be ok. I have no clue why. Thanks. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-calculator-icon-changes-on-the-start-menu/61545bf9-1b0c-40e1-83d1-cbb12a048400
  3. Calculating in the start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Calculating in the start menu: I remember being able to do basic calculations directly from the windows menu, but I can't get it to work now. is it still possible? Like, i would just press the Windows key, type "2+2" and it would say "4" If the feature is removed, is there any other way to instantly do...
  4. Maps App in Windows 10 now will not calculate directions

Maps App in Windows 10 now will not calculate directions: I can calculate directions via Transit, and sometimes, walking - but not driving. What happened, and how do I fix it? I'm logged in, and I'm tired of going to Google maps......
  5. Start menu and notifications are blank

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and notifications are blank: My computer locked up while writing a paper. I had to use the button to shut it down even though I didn't want to. When I powered the computer back on, it took a very long time. The I tried opening Word and this shows up: [ATTACH] All notifications are the same way. My...
  6. Start menu and Edge disappearing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu and Edge disappearing: The mid October I went to click on the tray icon for Edge and it disappeared (leaving a blank location). The next time I clicked on the start menu icon it paused then popped up with the "Critical Error_ Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you...
  7. loss of Edge

in Browsers and Email
    loss of Edge: After an automatic update to Windows 10 I lost the ability to go to the internet using Microsoft Edge. I had unwisely not downloaded an alternate browser. What do I do to recover Edge? 41241
  8. where is calculator in the Windows 10 start menu?

where is calculator in the Windows 10 start menu?: I looked online but it just said click on the start menu and type in calc.exe. I am looking for where it is in the start menu instead of where to access it. 72647
  9. Start Menu, Notifications, Edge not opening since latest update

Start Menu, Notifications, Edge not opening since latest update: Hi all, I'm brand spanking new to this forum, so if this issue has already been posted by someone else, I apologize. Since the most recent update/update attempt (either 10/4/16 or 10/5/16, not sure which day), I can no longer open Start Menu, Notifications, Edge, Windows...
  10. Loss of start menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Loss of start menu: hi all, a couple of week ago I lost the use of my start button, windows 10 verison. I had to download and install a 3rd party alternative to get any kind of a start menu working. I've trawled through a certain search engine, and done all suggested.... ISM /Online...