Windows 10: Loss of files and programs after installing Windows 10

Discus and support Loss of files and programs after installing Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had many years' worth (about 12 yrs) of Family History on my Windows programme. However, after installing Windows 10, I have lost all my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Irene81, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Irene81 Win User

Loss of files and programs after installing Windows 10

I had many years' worth (about 12 yrs) of Family History on my Windows programme. However, after installing Windows 10, I have lost all my files including my entire Personal Ancestry File pages. I do hope there is some way I can recover these details. I have not been into these areas since I changed my email address and user name so this has made it even more difficult to find anything. I previously used Windows 7.

I have not eliminated anything from Windows but know I will never be able to recall all this data. Many thanks for any help I can get please.

Irene81

:)

Irene81, Aug 11, 2018
  2. Tommygunn Win User

Partitioning Program Files/Program Files(x86) from Windows 10 install?

In the coming week I will be installing Windows 10 Home on my new computer. I will be using an SSD and an HDD, the SSD for the OS, programs and games and the HDD for photos, music and all the other slow stuff.
    So, my question. In case the OS were to ever get corrupted, or I had to reinstall the OS for any other reason, is it possible to have the SSD set up as follows; Partition 1 - OS, Partition 2 - Program Files/Program Files((x86) plus other associated folders/files) and Partition 3 for my games, so that any re-install does not wipe out my already installed programs?

I had no problem doing this in with my XP desktop(OS in C and Progs in D, although not perfect, but was never able to do it with Windows 7.

Can it be done?

Tom.

Tommygunn, Aug 11, 2018
  3. Windows 10 installing progs

I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to windows 10 from 7. I used the Media Creation Tool from MS website. It took awhile, but I am finally running Windows 10 (12-14).

I opened the new App & Program feature to remove programs that I no longer needed. Scrolling down the list, I was horrified! Apps that I didn't install somehow magically installed themselves. Two programs stood out: Facebook and Candy Crush Soda Saga. Both programs have those tale-tale icons that they came from Windows Store (which I've never even opened). The install date for both of them were on 12-26.

Is this a common thing for Windows 10? Or is it because I did an upgrade and not a clean install?

GoFigureItOut, Aug 11, 2018
  4. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Loss of files and programs after installing Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Loss files programs

2. windows 10 duplicated program files after having an SSD installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 duplicated program files after having an SSD installed: Hello after having my SSD installed i seem to have the same program files on both my nes ssd and my old hard drive so i was asking myself if i could delete the ones on my hard drive?In this case the C disk is my ssd and the duplicated files are in disk D\...
  3. windows 10 duplicated program files after having an SSD installed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 duplicated program files after having an SSD installed: Hello after having my SSD installed i seem to have the same program files on both my nes ssd and my old hard drive so i was asking myself if i could delete the ones on my hard drive?In this case the C disk is my ssd and the duplicated files are in disk D\...
  4. windows 10 duplicated program files after having an SSD installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Loss of sound after installing Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of sound after installing Windows 10 2004: It may be coincidental bu, having just installed Windows 10 2004 I have lost my sound output. Is this a recorded problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/loss-of-sound-after-installing-windows-10-2004/ce3ff9ba-8d34-4931-9058-fbb7471fe64c
  6. Loss of Documents and Pictures after Windows 10 installed

Loss of Documents and Pictures after Windows 10 installed: I cannot access any of my pictures or documents on my HP home computer after the Windows 10 update/install. The file folders for the documents and pictures are listed, but they are empty. I was using Office 2007; is this the reason?...
  7. Update of Windows 10 and loss of files

Update of Windows 10 and loss of files: I have just up-dated Windows 10 and found that old photos were no longer on my PC. Have also today discovered that some of my older Files are no longer on the PC. Why? An update should not be deleting someone's personal files. How can this be rectified?...
  8. loss of files

loss of files: I restarted my computer to update Office files. When it came on all the software files I had on my task bar and all my document files were missing. How do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/loss-of-files/4d749705-a5e1-4e98-a634-f1ed679bbc62"
  9. file loss

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file loss: so today I updated my pc to the latest version of Windows 10 (1809) I finish the update and all and then I try to login to my pc but when I enter my password it will show me a blue screen saying that there is an error i try a couple more times but I can't access my pc so I...
  10. loss of data after installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    loss of data after installing Windows 10: I recently installed Windows 10 on my PC which had been using Windows 7. I expected all the data and programs to migrate with the installation. The result was that all the programs made it, but all data is lost, and I am trying to get the data back from my Carbonite backup....