Windows 10: Loss of music after upgrading from Microsoft 7 to 10

Discus and support Loss of music after upgrading from Microsoft 7 to 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a laptop with Window 7, In response to an alert that this format is no longer supported I duly upgraded to Window 10. In the upgrade process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CliveBound, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Loss of music after upgrading from Microsoft 7 to 10

I have a laptop with Window 7, In response to an alert that this format is no longer supported I duly upgraded to Window 10. In the upgrade process all of my music has been saved in a format which is unsupported by the media player. I have tried other media players ie Google Play and the outcome is the same. I ask for help from PC World and after trying several options including restoring Windows 7 the result is the same. The only suggestion they came up with was to reload all of my CDs! Is there and alternative.

Kind regards

Clive

:)

CliveBound, Jul 6, 2018

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Loss of music after upgrading from Microsoft 7 to 10 [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Jul 6, 2018
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Jul 6, 2018
  4. Loss of music after upgrading from Microsoft 7 to 10

dorsetknob, Jul 6, 2018
Thema:

Loss of music after upgrading from Microsoft 7 to 10

1. Loss of music after upgrading from Microsoft 7 to 10 - Similar Threads - Loss music upgrading

2. Unable to locate music folder in Windows 7 after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to locate music folder in Windows 7 after upgrading to windows 10: Unable to locate the Music folder/library after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-locate-music-folder-in-windows-7-after/6123181b-dc08-45df-beff-dc1e091cbb37
  3. Unable to locate music folder in Windows 7 after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to locate music folder in Windows 7 after upgrading to windows 10: Unable to locate the Music folder/library after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-locate-music-folder-in-windows-7-after/6123181b-dc08-45df-beff-dc1e091cbb37
  4. upgrade from 7 to 10

upgrade from 7 to 10: am i too late to update from windows 7 to windows 10 this is the first time ive had the laptop out in years https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-7-to-10/ef5d3dba-fa41-432d-b6a2-58e43bd67771
  5. Upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 7 to 10: I bought a new computer with Windows 7 and the right to upgrade to Windows 10. I did not want to upgrade because my 7 was working fine. Now I want to upgrade.When I just now tried to use Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if I could do the upgrade, it said it was "unable to...
  6. Upgrade from 7 to 10

Upgrade from 7 to 10: I bought a new computer with Windows 7 and the right to upgrade to Windows 10. I did not want to upgrade because my 7 was working fine. Now I want to upgrade.When I just now tried to use Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if I could do the upgrade, it said it was "unable to...
  7. Upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade from 7 to 10: I'm trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 and I meet reqs it's been stuck at 30%for a while any tips? submitted by /u/Cewz1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ka0vfm/upgrade_from_7_to_10/
  8. Data loss during win 7 upgrade to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data loss during win 7 upgrade to win 10: Win 10 version 1909 OS Build 18363.657 I just upgraded an old computer from win 7 to win 10 following a guide from this site. In preparation I did a backup on a flash drive using Windows recommendations, created a new repair disc, and made a system imagine on a new external...
  9. No keyboard after upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No keyboard after upgrade from 7 to 10: After 10 upgrade, the keyboard in my Compaq Presario CQ57-315NR notebook doesn't work except when I'm in "Control Panel". I seem to be able to type in the search box there, but that is the only place the keyboard works. I have tried uninstalling the driver and then...
  10. Sound loss after upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound loss after upgrade: I have a home built gaming pc running windows 10 32 bit and never had any issues, I decided to upgrade to 64 bit as it was compatible allowing me to insert more memory. On doing so I lost all USB usage and no sound. I rectified the USB issue but the sound is a no go. The pc...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows upgrade loss of video and music