Windows 10: Loss of SD card reader after Nov Win10 upgrade

Discus and support Loss of SD card reader after Nov Win10 upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; From hours of searching, this seems to be a common problem with Win 10, tho' I've only just experienced it after the November 3 Gb "upgrade ?". I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Don Aldux, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Don Aldux Win User

Loss of SD card reader after Nov Win10 upgrade

From hours of searching, this seems to be a common problem with Win 10, tho' I've only just experienced it after the
    November 3 Gb "upgrade ?".
    I have a 5 year old Dell Studio XPS 435MT and the Dell support pages were useless. The solution might not be applicable to other makes but after the dozens of other offered solutions that achieved nothing, this worked and moreover has stayed working.
    Apologies if it doesn't work for your system but my elation prompts this posting !

I had not only lost the SD card reader but my drives were screwed up after the upgrade and the pc would hang every time I tried some "new" driver for the card reader.
    I owe the end of my two days of frustration to the lady who posted here:-
    http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-...-xp-vista.html
    Her link to the OSToto page seems dead but this link was good:-
    http://www.drivethelife.com/
    The d/l of the exe file is free for "Driver Talent" and it identified the missing driver. Installation & a reboot and card reader back in operation.

I guess I should add I've no connection whatsoever with "Driver Talent" beyond being a satisfied user, which can't be said for Win 10.

:)

Don Aldux, Dec 16, 2015

2. Insignia Card Reader not working

The Insignia Card Reader is not recognized at all. The only stuff I did to my desktop after the 1511 upgrade was your updates. I plug the card reader in and dead silence, nothing. Nothing happens. Again...it worked after the July Windows 10 download and
    the Nov. 1511 upgrade. Something in one of your updates after the Nov. 1511 upgrade took this ability away from me.

RobertWorman SR., Dec 16, 2015
  3. Event ID 504 and 507 from StorDiag with Windows 10

Others are having trouble with this as well, in several cases (including mine), associated with migration from Win7 to Win10. See StorDiag Errors after Windows 10 Upgrade | MCB Systems

Error apparently caused by "migration" of the SD card reader to Win10.

The person who posted the above wound up disabling the SD card reader, which was on his monitor.

I have the same problem, except that I'm running Windows 10 under Boot Camp on an Apple mid-2010 27" iMac -- and I don't have the option of pulling the cable on the built-in SD card reader!! <smile> Since I'm getting these pairs of errors >150 times a
    day, I'd sure like to find a solution.

Clayton.Curtis, Dec 16, 2015
  4. Steve C Win User

I've been having problems with card reader on my Dell Inspiron 7537 following the Windows 10 upgrade - see Realtek Card Reader Keeps Disappearing

I tried the above utility but it didn't find a better driver than the one provided by Dell.

Steve C, Dec 16, 2015
  5. Don Aldux Win User
    Steve.,
    The re-installed driver via "Driver Talent" (removed by the Nov Win 10 upgrade) was for the Intel chipset not a Realtek or Dell driver for the card reader. Of course, it may be irrelevant for your problem but nothing else had led me to consider that Win 10 had thoughtfully replaced - or just removed - that Intel chipset driver.
    So..... more time spent getting my sound back again, my SD card reader restored and Cortana blocked from consuming resources after this "upgrade". Yes, I first should have found how to stop it from replacing 3rd party drivers but I've had the mouse hovering over the "return to Win 7" button several times.

Loss of SD card reader after Nov Win10 upgrade [​IMG]

Don Aldux, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Loss of SD card reader after Nov Win10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Loss card reader

2. SD Card reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD Card reader: I have an external sd card reader and it wont work on my pc. It works on my laptop and other stuff but it only doesnt work on this pc. It only recognizes the sd card reader as USB3.0 Card Reader but it wont read the sd card at all. I even tried buying and using another sd...
  3. SD card reader?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD card reader?: Hello! I cant access my SD card Transcend SDHC 8GB. When I plug it into my laptop, it doesn't get recognized. I installed the driver software from the Dell website my computer is a Dell Inspiron 3543 and restarted it but nothings working, I cannot actually see the SD card...
  4. sd card reader

sd card reader: Hi, I have been running a lenovo Z70-80 with a partitioned hard drive with a windows 7 \ linux dual boot setup. It all worked fine until I upgraded to windows 10. After I updated all the drivers everything worked well except the sd card reader. This will keep disconnecting or...
  5. Upgraded Win10 on a tablet, SD card reader won't work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgraded Win10 on a tablet, SD card reader won't work: So when I was in Japan, I bought a Fujitsu Arrows Tab Q506(?) tablet. It needed some OS updates. After said OS updates, the card reader won't work at all. It's stuck at "The device cannot start(code 10)". It was working before the upgrades. I have tried everything to get it...
  6. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: Hi Every SD card I plug in to my PC says it is Write Protected. I have tried everything I can find on internet to fix this but to no avail. Can anyone help please? 146468
  7. Sd Card reader

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sd Card reader: Can Someone help Me. Ive Tried Everything But My Sd card reader wont work. How do i get my laptop to recognize that there is even a Sd card in it . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/bc9ec34c-018b-485b-abbb-c6f2ec864929"
  8. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: I have Windows 10 and my SD card reader is not recognized. I have tried everything on the earlier post and none have worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/d927df68-eac3-4356-8c18-4cd339419e75
  9. sd card reader

sd card reader: My sd card reader isn't working .How can I get it back on ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/a9ecbe8c-3206-454a-960a-8b6f6ce13e12
  10. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: My SD card reader is suddenly not working. The SD cards can be read in other Windows 10 devices, but cannot be seen any longer on this device. The Windows 10 Update occurred recently, assuming that may have caused the issue. Tried to Restore to previous point, before this...