Windows 10: Lost a lot of files, need help getting them back

Discus and support Lost a lot of files, need help getting them back in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; f14tomcat, can your advice be carried out via a usb or dvd boot, with the proper stuff on either media? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ThePhoenix, May 27, 2016.

1. RolandJS Win User

Lost a lot of files, need help getting them back

f14tomcat, can your advice be carried out via a usb or dvd boot, with the proper stuff on either media?

RolandJS, May 28, 2016

2. The situation has changed a bit. Using a program called ShadowExplorer, I was able to get everything from my desktop looking the way it was before this mess happened, but a majority of the files are incomplete - for instance, audio files won't play and images either won't display or consist of corrupted nonsense. Some of these I can just redownload from where I got them, but a large portion of the content on my computer is original. Is there a way to fix these files through Recuva, ShadowExplorer, or something else?

ThePhoenix, May 28, 2016
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    This is the program I was referring to when I said there were ways to "explore" the Restore Points. If the shadow copies have been successfully recovered, it can be used to open, explore, and copy any/all files available. It must run under the OS you are recovering to, not from an external bootable media. And the Shadow Copies (Restore points) should be in the OS, not external. All that is stored in the hidden system file System Volume Information.

System Restore Explorer | Nics Blog

The program you used, Shadow Explorer, seems to do similar functions, I've never used it. As far as any corrupt or incomplete files, look for other Shadow Copies you may have that are accessible and see if you can copy from them. Any original work that can't be downloaded and is corrupt and not on any Shadow Copy or stored anywhere else (i.e - no backup), is probably gone.... you'll just have to accept that fact and recreate. It's unfortunate for you, but I do not know of any way to create something out of nothing. Maybe someone else does. With images, you can try to open them in Paint or some other image editing program, and save again. Audio files you might try a program called Audacity to see if it will open them. Download | Audacity®

As you are recovering, you should be doing a series of backups, just in case a step you take undoes or breaks the work you have already done. Don't wait until you have it as pristine as possible. Anything could happen...you goof up, lightening strike, Drive failure... anything Murphy could think of.

You can get a 1TB external drive for $60-$70, or better. Avoid using the Windows native backup, it is too inflexible (others will argue it is not). Many, many use the free version of Macrium Reflect and it is highly recommended and easy to use. It also can be run from a bootable USB/DVD and is independent of the operating system.

Macrium Reflect Free

I really wish you all good luck getting your data back together. If there are any other issues, please post back. TC

f14tomcat, May 28, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Just for anyone else who reads this thread in the future:

Installing anything else on the system, or simply running the system, will overwrite data you need to recover.

Booting from @Kyhi's recovery media, you can use Recuva to recover your files to another drive, and not overwrite anything.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, May 28, 2016
  5. Luckily for me, not only have I uploaded a lot of my original work to file sharing sites or sent it to friends, I also have literally everything that I haven't introduced to my computer in the past five months on an older computer, from which I did a system transfer earlier this year. I think a few things will end up being lost forever, but for the most part, I should be able to restore what I need.

ThePhoenix, May 28, 2016
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    I am so pleased you will be ok. Your first post indicated you were in a big pickle, without any way out, no mention of previous system still intact or file sharing services or friends having copies. Many posts and suggestions later, you appear to be ok.

If you are satisfied with where you are right now and need no further assistance, please mark this thread as solved. Thank you.

f14tomcat, May 28, 2016
  7. I wouldn't say the issue has been completely resolved, but I'm certainly in a better position now than I was when I made the post. The damage could potentially have been reduced if I'd used Recuva prior to the system restore, or avoided entirely if I'd just been able to ignore the ghost file. In the end, it's all on me, but I'm hoping I'll be able to bounce back without too many problems.

ThePhoenix, May 28, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

A firm I've dealt with in the past is Koll Ontrack, can recover data but is not cheap. Over 15 years of increases and the thousands of pictures one saves, music, data, etc., it may cost $1000.00 compared to the last one I had done for $350.00, it was a bargain as it had the company's books on it.
    Kroll Ontrack - recognized leader in legal technologies and

Berton, May 28, 2016
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    But as resolved as it's going to be, without resorting to a potentially expensive recovery service. That is, of course, your choice. If there is nothing else you would like us to do, please mark this thread as Resolved.

f14tomcat, May 29, 2016
  10. Well, considering the data itself has mostly been overwritten and doesn't seem to exist in a complete form anymore, I don't know how much they'd be able to do.

ThePhoenix, May 29, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    You'd be surprised. Of course, it will cost you. Kroll Ontrack is good.

simrick, May 29, 2016
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Are you going to retrieve what you can from the old computer, sharing services and friends? You mentioned earlier you had that. Is that still an option?

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost a lot of files, need help getting them back - Similar Threads - Lost lot files

2. I lost my contacts, how do I get them back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost my contacts, how do I get them back?: With the ATT change, I lost all my contacts. How can I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-my-contacts-how-do-i-get-them-back/724c91a0-52df-4c4b-b3a8-55a3f332b90a
  3. Viruses, need a lot of help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Viruses, need a lot of help: So my partner had downloaded some things, unknowingly things that were harmful. There is now something attacking our computer. It pops up with a text box that says “cmdexe” on the top of it, and also our chrome keeps getting this extension that says “Phone” and that extension...
  4. Viruses, need a lot of help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Viruses, need a lot of help: So my partner had downloaded some things, unknowingly things that were harmful. There is now something attacking our computer. It pops up with a text box that says “cmdexe” on the top of it, and also our chrome keeps getting this extension that says “Phone” and that extension...
  5. Viruses, need a lot of help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Need A LOT of help in A LOT ofstem failures

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need A LOT of help in A LOT ofstem failures: Hi I have been asking for help in this community and been getting help but I always ask like a question while I have alot so iam gonna tell all of them my laptop was perfect until last week it got a white horizontal line and screen flickering while using an app called parsec...
  7. reboot of PC /lost files and applications/need to retrieve them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reboot of PC /lost files and applications/need to retrieve them: I downloaded some software, "Get my Drivers". Lost all non default apps and files in the process. I want to retrieve them but am having trouble. PC is a laptop, Sony with Windows 10 newly downloaded. Please assist....
  8. errors a lot of them

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    errors a lot of them: so where to start i have new pc build and have few erros few of them in microshop shop some in microsoft defender and lot of games cant be installet bcs somethink always corrupt them i think its proble in windows update i wriste some of errors windows leanguage i have error...
  9. Getting Lots of BSODs and I need help.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Getting Lots of BSODs and I need help.: Hi everyone, I've been getting a lot of BSODs lately after I got a new SSD and GPU. I have attached a link to the dump files. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HqxVcmSSBuOiQhZujzl3XS0fpNKSODX4?usp=sharing...
  10. Need help getting back to with Dow's 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help getting back to with Dow's 8: Soi upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8dont have that much gb so i decided to factory reset it on windows 10 and i realized i wanna go bak to windows 8.1 howdo i do it even though i go to recover and i domt see the option to go bak do i habe to wait a month and it will pop...