Windows 10: lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps

Discus and support lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. All was working fine. Now, I can't access the modern start screen, cortana or apps. The following things might... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by webspinner88, Aug 26, 2015.

1. lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps

I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. All was working fine. Now, I can't access the modern start screen, cortana or apps. The following things might have helped cause this: I changed my PCs name, I installed more ram, I created a local log in and there was an update just before this happened. I tried to use a restore point but the laptop said it failed. I have tried the powershell solution with no luck. I have tried creating a new user but it won't let me add a new user.

Can anybody help? thank you

:)

webspinner88, Aug 26, 2015
  2. Fagan34 Win User

Microsoft Tag App

With Cortana I lost the ability to select the camera and therefor cannot use the Tag App.

Fagan34, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Getting excited to Windows 10

The perfect balance between modern and classic Windows 7 experience.

Universal apps are windowed

Task View

Cortana Digital Assistant

Its free

Action Center

Microsoft Edge

It stays evergreen

Ability to grab Windows Updates from another Windows 10 PC on a local network

Richer more stable Modern apps - Music, Video, Photos

Andre Da Costa, Aug 26, 2015
  4. lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps

There seem to be several causes for this, and unfortunately not all are easily solvable. Have you tried running "sfc /scannow" and "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" from an admin command prompt already? If you create a new user account and log in using that, do they work then? That's all worth a try, but the same happened to me and it turned out to be registry hive corruption (which occurred just from a non-destructive partition resize) and the only fix was a full reset (reinstall).

-edit- Sorry, just re-read your message and saw you couldn't create another user account. That sounds serious, unfortunately.

xtcrefugee, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Thanks I'll try those options.

webspinner88, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps

1. lost ability to access modern screen, cortana and apps - Similar Threads - lost ability access

2. Lost ability to pin to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost ability to pin to Quick Access: Hello,Today I lost all my Quick Access items: folders viewed in Home on Explorer no 'Quick Access section' and 'Recommended' is empty, if that's what it's called now and pinned folders in the navigation panel are gone and though programs pinned to the taskbar are still there,...
  3. Lost ability to pin to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost ability to pin to Quick Access: Hello,Today I lost all my Quick Access items: folders viewed in Home on Explorer no 'Quick Access section' and 'Recommended' is empty, if that's what it's called now and pinned folders in the navigation panel are gone and though programs pinned to the taskbar are still there,...
  4. Cortana abilities

in Cortana
    Cortana abilities: why Cortana can't close a window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-abilities/bbacd4fa-7074-468a-92a8-95e4ae4de614
  5. Cortana search /search ability

in Cortana
    Cortana search /search ability: Where did my search ability go. It still says type here to search, but only blank box comes up. I do not have microphone access, and don't want to give verbal commands anyway. Who wants everybody around me to hear what I am looking for. HOw do I get it back, or has the...
  6. Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge)

in Browsers and Email
    Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge): A couple days ago I lost the ability to play youtube or online radio through my modern browsers (Chrome, Edge), although it still works on IE 11. At first I assumed it was a Chrome issue and since I didn't want to lose my settings through a full Chrome reset, but when I...
  7. Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge)

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost ability to play media on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge): A couple days ago I lost the ability to play youtube or online radio through my modern browsers (Chrome, Edge), although it still works on IE 11. At first I assumed it was a Chrome issue and since I didn't want to lose my settings through a full Chrome reset, but when I...
  8. Lost the ability to update Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost the ability to update Windows: There are a number of us in the Windows Insider Program that have lost the ability to update Windows. There are some variations on the theme but, basically, Win10 will download the package and say that there is an update that needs a reboot to install. The install/reboot...
  9. Preventing access to modern app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preventing access to modern app: Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be...
  10. cortana, start menu, and "modern" app won't work

in Windows 10 Support
    cortana, start menu, and "modern" app won't work: Microsoft edge doesn't even have an icon on the taskbar, basically all "modern" apps just don't work and nothing happens when I click the start menu or cortana. I attempted a powershell solution but got nothing but errors. What can I do? regestry fix? microsoft fixit? every...