Windows 10: Lost and Found?

Discus and support Lost and Found? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings! I just got myself a Surface Book with Performance Base and while setting it up I was reminded about the case of an acquaintance who lost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Durahl, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Durahl Win User

Lost and Found?

Greetings!

I just got myself a Surface Book with Performance Base and while setting it up I was reminded about the case of an acquaintance who lost ( forgot ) her MacBook on the bus station when she ran for it.

The way Isee it any potential finder of a Surface device will basically be forever stuck at the Sign-In screen without any information available to them as to who it belongs to and how to contact them in order to return it.

So I was looking for maybe an App that could be displayed at the Sign-In screen which could be populated with contact information as to who to contact but couldn’t find anything like that.
    I then considered changing the Sign-In background image adding my contactinformation to it but was then advised not to do that because of identity theft concerns.

What’severyone else take on this whole situation?

Just to make it clear though! I know about the Find my Device feature but it's not something I solemnly want to rely on.
    My goal with this is to aid a person willing to return my device to me.

:)

Durahl, Apr 25, 2017

2. Weird screen when opening laptop lid

YES! THANKS!!!!!!! :Lost and Found? :D:Lost and Found? :DLost and Found? :DLost and Found? :DLost and Found? :D

Lost Syndicate, Apr 25, 2017
  3. Weird screen when opening laptop lid

Ok, so I got this artifact thing that's like rainbow. It's full screen and it happens only when I close my laptop lid. I will tell you what it looks like. (I can't take screenshot because Screen Capture device won't work.) So, upon moving cursor, there is
    a box that is different than the screen. The box looks like rainbow + a hint of black. The screen looks like rainbow vomit;I have an idea of what it is, maybe it might be a resolution failure. It's like there are 10,000 mini screen next to each other. I don't
    know what to do! When I unplug my laptop charger then close the lid; re-opening it, it goes to the lock-screen, but when I leave it plugged in and I close then lid, then open it..... BOOM screen appears again. Note, I updated all of my hardware, and everything
    is fine. But the screen still appears. I really don't know if the plug is corrupted or if it's just malfunctioning. Yet again, I don't think so because when I plug it in after the lock-screen, everything's working just fine. This is not anything too bad, but
    I don't want to have to unplug, then close the lid, the re-open it, just to get to the lock-screen. Can anyone help me?

Again, the screen is working 100% fine, not crack, no water damage. As well as the system components, and hardware. Note, I do not have any viruses, and no malware.

specs:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

Intel Core i5 7300HQ @ 2.50GHz, 2501MHz, 4 logical processors, 4 cores.

8GB RAM

3GB RAM left

Those are my specs, I don't know much about computers, so there might be something missing.

Lost Syndicate, Apr 25, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Lost and Found?

Hi there

I think in these situations the "Old Tech" way is probably the best -- if the person who found it was honest enough a little walk to the nearest Police station should work.

With expensive equipment keep a copy of the serial number too -- this will help Police to verify the owner. I don't like the idea of giving away information of a private nature to unknown third parties --especially as you don't know who picked up the device.

For starters a thief might be prompted to think --this is expensive gear --wonder if there are "more good pickings around" !!!!

Pity though losing it while running fort a Bus --just think of how many TAXI RIDES you could have for the cost of a macbook even a cheap one (if there is such a thing).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    In my opinion there's no risk of identity theft involved if you create a dummy email and edit your preferred lock screen picture adding something like this to let's say top left corner:

If found please contact FoundYourTablet@AnyEmailProvider.com

When creating the dummy email account be sure not to add any personal information except another email or phone number required for two step authentication. No real name, address or such. To really make this anonymous, depending on your willingness to pay a bit for it, I would recommend getting a pre-paid mobile burner phone, the cheapest possible phone of course as it and its pre-paid number would only be used for two step authentication of the dummy email account.

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lost and Found?

1. Lost and Found? - Similar Threads - Lost Found

2. Remotely disabled lost laptop now found. How to un disable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remotely disabled lost laptop now found. How to un disable?: Hi, My husband recently left his laptop on the train so we disabled it via our other laptop which is connected via Microsoft 365. Luckily the laptop has been found however we can’t figure out how to in disable it. Online it says contact the administrator but he is the...
  3. Remotely disabled lost laptop now found. How to un disable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remotely disabled lost laptop now found. How to un disable?: Hi, My husband recently left his laptop on the train so we disabled it via our other laptop which is connected via Microsoft 365. Luckily the laptop has been found however we can’t figure out how to in disable it. Online it says contact the administrator but he is the...
  4. I locked my laptop I thought it was lost but I found it. Now what’s the next step to be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I locked my laptop I thought it was lost but I found it. Now what’s the next step to be...: locked my laptop I thought it was lost but I found it. Now what’s the next step to be able to use it again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-locked-my-laptop-i-thought-it-was-lost-but-i/61c43999-a7dd-4028-99b1-f3b35a999b86
  5. I locked my laptop I thought it was lost but I found it. Now what’s the next step to be...

I locked my laptop I thought it was lost but I found it. Now what’s the next step to be...: locked my laptop I thought it was lost but I found it. Now what’s the next step to be able to use it again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-locked-my-laptop-i-thought-it-was-lost-but-i/61c43999-a7dd-4028-99b1-f3b35a999b86
  6. I lost my account admin and sign in says not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost my account admin and sign in says not found: Greetings, I lost my admin user name and when I enter user, it says not found in system, yet when I try to reenter it as new user, it says already in use?...
  7. I lost my account admin and sign in says not found

I lost my account admin and sign in says not found: Greetings, I lost my admin user name and when I enter user, it says not found in system, yet when I try to reenter it as new user, it says already in use?...
  8. How do I simply create a new document? I'm lost, e.g., no options found re margins, size,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I simply create a new document? I'm lost, e.g., no options found re margins, size,...: THE BALLAD OF DAVY ARNSTEENTo the tune of "The Ballad of Davy Crockett {Tennessee Ernie Ford on You Tube}. Words by father-in-law Deane Shore Berson. First sung publicly in Dave's back yard by those attending the "Dave's Still Alive Party" on June 21, 2015. Second performance...
  9. How do I simply create a new document? I'm lost, e.g., no options found re margins, size,...

How do I simply create a new document? I'm lost, e.g., no options found re margins, size,...: THE BALLAD OF DAVY ARNSTEENTo the tune of "The Ballad of Davy Crockett {Tennessee Ernie Ford on You Tube}. Words by father-in-law Deane Shore Berson. First sung publicly in Dave's back yard by those attending the "Dave's Still Alive Party" on June 21, 2015. Second performance...
  10. No networks found and lost all my programs and files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No networks found and lost all my programs and files: My G3 laptop computer had a problem that kept saying no networks found, so tried resetting the computer to get the internet working but now all my important files and programs got wiped out. Is there a way to get my computer back to how it was before the reset? Raid sl and...