Windows 10: lost cd writer upon win 10 install

Discus and support lost cd writer upon win 10 install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My CD writer is recognized by the asus bios , but after installing win 10, the OS does not recognize it. I have moved the sata cable from one port to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sailor44, Aug 3, 2015.

1. sailor44 Win User

lost cd writer upon win 10 install

My CD writer is recognized by the asus bios , but after installing win 10, the OS does not recognize it. I have moved the sata cable from one port to the other, and tried several other things, all to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion?? *Sad

Everything else works fine!

:)

sailor44, Aug 3, 2015

2. Can I get a driver for my cd/dvd writer for my laptop after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8, 8.1 again so I can still use my cd/dvd writer?

After upgrading from windows 8 to 8.1 to windows 10 I lost the cd/dvd writer driver, now I can't use my cd/dvd writer anymore which I know will be removed ( driver ) after installing or upgrading to windows 10. Can Microsoft will send me the driver for my
    cd/dvd writer even I need to pay a certain fee, so I can able to use my cd/dvd writer again?

Actually I restored twice to windows 8 but I can't still use my cd/dvd writer anymore.

My laptop is Toshiba and Samsung is the cd/dvd writer.

CecilioVillamin, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Since upgrading to Windows 10, my CD/DVD player/writer has disappeared

Upon upgrading to Windows 10, I no longer have access to my CD/DVD player/writer on my desktop PC. It is not available whatsoever. I put in a CD or DVD and nothing happens. I cannot find it when I look in settings or anything.

Please help.

ScottStarra, Aug 3, 2015
  4. fireberd Win User

Have you looked at the Device Manager to see ifs shown there with an error code? (what is the error code?)

If its shown in the Device Manager, try uninstalling the CD drive in the Device Manager. Then restart Windows and check to see if Windows detects and installs it after the reboot.

fireberd, Aug 3, 2015
  5. sailor44 Win User
    Unfortunately, it is not shown in device manager. I tried to use the check for new devices also. Nothing found.

sailor44, Aug 4, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Seen resolution 3 here to work for some, as long as sure no connections inside came loose power or SATA cables.
    Does draw open, any sound from it ? Chances it might be bad (cd-rom) if none of these work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  7. flood404 Win User
    Install the latest AHCI driver for your SATA controller should fix it.

Do you know what your motherboard is so I can tell you which driver to use?

I had this happen in when installing 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron. The DVD drive was in BIOS but not in windows or in device manager. Installing a newer or older SATA driver fixed it.

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Might not be case since Windows 10 has those drivers in OS. Fond this out for myself at least for Intel. As should still be detected with standard drivers for DVD and CD ROM drives.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  9. flood404 Win User
    If you look in your device manager I will bet its a Standard AHCI driver that was loaded.

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Yep, just like mine, i questioned my motherboard manufacturer and they are fine, my DVD ROM works fine.One above it for SATA 3 where my 0-5 ports are and SSD are on.

lost cd writer upon win 10 install [​IMG]

Or best bet, check the BIOS see if they are there.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  11. flood404 Win User
    Opps your not the poster who had issues. But do you want the correct driver for your Standard AHCI device? All I need is the hardware ID in the device properties.

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    How i screwed up my system after upgrade thinking i needed newer controller drivers as Windows 10 has them already,at least for Intel. OP choice to try that, be prepared as mine did not boot after that.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  13. flood404 Win User

On my board here its using a windows 7 driver from last year which is AMD SATA controller on Windows 10. My board also has a ASmedia SATA ports and those drivers are working too. I wonder why yours did not boot after installing drivers.. Usually that issue is when someone switches the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE and Vice Versa in BIOS.

flood404, Aug 4, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Because i tried to install it on one said standard AHCI not first one you see in my pic of device manager. Spoke to Gigabyte told me did not need to install any because Windows 10 has updated for Intel, usually you preinstalled these drivers before the OS.
    I tried after the upgrade, then would not restart. If OP has Intel will be same, not sure about AMD only other manufacturer anyway. Basically the BIOS detects what you plug in, and system will still recognize DVD ROM.

jds63, Aug 4, 2015
  15. truckmann Win User
    New guy here with the same problem. I upgraded from Win 7 to 10 on an old Acer Aspire 5810TZ Laptop to test it out and it is not recognizing that my CD/DVD drive exists. It doesn't show up in the device manager at all.

truckmann, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. lost cd writer upon win 10 install - Similar Threads - lost writer upon

2. cd writer won't burn discs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cd writer won't burn discs: I have a sandstrom cd writer but my win 10 HP laptop wont burn discs to it. Ive tried several programs and get the same error message saying check drivers or connection. It reads and plays cds and dvds fine just wont write....
  3. CD ROM writer/ reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD ROM writer/ reader: Hope I'm not beating a dead horse after all these years. It's an " old " Dell INSPIRON 560 / Windows 10 - updates current , with a 256 SSD put in years ago. Computer still works GOOD as a backup PC.Decided to use the DVD/CD Rom drive - HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GH70N.....PROBLEM : it...
  4. CD ROM writer/ reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD ROM writer/ reader: Hope I'm not beating a dead horse after all these years. It's an " old " Dell INSPIRON 560 / Windows 10 - updates current , with a 256 SSD put in years ago. Computer still works GOOD as a backup PC.Decided to use the DVD/CD Rom drive - HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GH70N.....PROBLEM : it...
  5. CD ROM writer/ reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. CD Writer not showing up

CD Writer not showing up: Hi there My cd rom drive shows up intermittently, usually not at all. I have searched on this forum and tried various fixes. I do not have upper or lower things in the registry, (sorry for the bad description) I've tried the tweakingwindows.com fix and no luck. As I said, it...
  7. External cd/dvd writer

External cd/dvd writer: I purchased a Verbatim Slimline cd/dvd writer and cannot get it installed on my Dell laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-cddvd-writer/9b9479f9-7f37-419a-b192-df4925cbc8a9
  8. lost windows installation cd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost windows installation cd: Hi.I am gonna bulid a new pc rig and i have installed windows via cd in my current pc but i have lost the installation cd. How can install windows in my new pc given the fact that i will not use any part of the old pc and it will remain unused. Thanks in advance...
  9. CD Writer no longer works

CD Writer no longer works: Hello, My external Liteon CD Writer no longer works. It starts to record, then ejects the CDs. I have tried CD Burner XP as well as Windows Media Player and various makes of CD. It works OK on other Computer and has worked fine on this HP Computer until just recently....
  10. DVD/cd writer cycling

DVD/cd writer cycling: I run W8.1 and 10130 on the same desktop. They are on separate SSD's and only plugged in one at a time. When 10130 is in and idle, the DVD/CD will cycle meaning it tries to do a read. Last's about 5 seconds and repeats every 3 minutes. The tray is empty. W8.1 does not repeat...