Windows 10: Lost Desktop Files

Discus and support Lost Desktop Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Omg guys i have experience the same thing!! Can anyone out there help us? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scoontaque, Jul 29, 2015.

1. shaun83 Win User

Lost Desktop Files

Omg guys i have experience the same thing!! Can anyone out there help us?

shaun83, Nov 18, 2015
  2. feyi Win User

It happens to me as well. your folders and files are still dere in ur system. all what you need to do is to go to to Drive C, thats the partition where your OS is installed. go to Users, then from there navigate your document, desktop, picture, videos, downloads and music. You will see your files there.

In the case of the cause of this problem, its not yet gotten as am stl loking for a way out.

3. I am experiencing the same thing BUT, thankfully, I can browse to the desktop and see everything in explorer. A pain yes and now (after several weeks) have time to fix it. I remember someone showing multiple desktops to me and just figured I had the wrong one
    displayed but didn't know how to switch back. I'm hoping it is that easy.

itsmeagain, Nov 25, 2015
  4. reichy24 Win User

Lost Desktop Files

This process sort of worked for me. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Freaked out because all my desktop files were gone, but I went into C:\USERS\USERNAME\DESKTOP and found the files and moved them to my desktop. But then none of my applications were working, so I restarted my computer and it deleted everything again! (It must not have been done downloading. After seeing this, I tried ShadowExplorer and found all my files under C:\USER\USERNAME\DESKTOP. I can see the files and I attempted to restore them, but so far have no had any success. But it's encouraging to me I at least found the files.

reichy24, Nov 30, 2015
  5. Not only should you always make backups, but you should never save important files/folders on your desktop. Store them in the correct user folders so that they are synced and backed up correctly.

The desktop is for program shortcuts, or setting shortcuts to access folders quickly. It is not for storing all of your data.

SylenThunder, Nov 30, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    A key way to avoid losing data in Windows is NEVER store ANYTHING important on C:

That way you can mess up Windows atrociously and still keep your data (most probably)

Partition your drive (esp. laptop) or use multiple drives.

Use disk imaging before any important change, and regularly.

Otherwise, you do have 30 days after upgrading to Windows to revert. If Win 10 isn't working, and you need sthg that does on your only PC, you can revert.

dalchina, Nov 30, 2015
  7. ocsurf Win User
    I had this exact same problem. I can't believe this is happening. What a major flaw.
    if I revert back to 8.1 will my files be there?
    I can see the files in Shadow Explorer, but when I export them, the files are corrupt.

ocsurf, Nov 30, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

Lost Desktop Files

Are the files not available in Windows.old created in the Nov upgrade in the desktop folder in Windows.old?

dalchina, Nov 30, 2015
  9. ocsurf Win User
    They are not. When I first found my files, they were in C/User in the user folder. I then moved them to the Desktop. Then I restarted/updated and had the same problem people are saying that the old desktop came back and all the files disappeared.

ocsurf, Nov 30, 2015
  10. sumi Win User
    Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to 10 yesterday and encountered the same problem. I thought upgrade was done so I logged in, did some things, logged off and restarted. Then all my document files and photos were gone!! There were all there when I initially logged in *cry I searched everywhere including /user, /temp/, windows.old, etc. but I couldn't find them.

Then I saw a post about Stellar Phoenix and installed and ran it. And I could recover all of my files!!! It's free up to 1GB recovery. Since I had files over 40GB, I had to purchase it ... ($99 *Sad ) But I couldn't lose all my files so ... Anyways, if anybody is having the same issue, I highly recommend the software. Seriously Microsoft ... why don't you show some warnings or instructions!! *Mad

(Update) I preemptively posted above. I couldn't recover 'all' of my files - could recover about 2/3 of them. But it was much better than losing all ... I could recover some very important files and photos. But this shouldn't have happened to anybody!

11. pandora Win User
    I thought I was going mad when I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and none of my Documents or Pictures were in the correct folders. I found them and moved them into the new Documents and Pictures folders so I could see them. Why oh why did I move and not copy them? and why oh why does Microsoft not tell you the upgrade is in two parts so DON'T move any files????*Mad
    I used another forum and someone is kindly trying to help with my lost data. Yes, everything has gone from the new Documents folder as the contents of the old My Documents (which I had carefully emptied in moving everything to where I thought it should be) was reinstated on the 2nd bootup i.e. the 2nd part of the upgrade.
    I have learnt over the past few days to download Shadow Explorer which then finds all those missing files - yippee I thought - but they are all corrupted and NOTHING will open, not a document, a picture, a jpg or anything at all. I could cry
    Has anybody had any success with recovering corrupted data?

pandora, Jan 19, 2016
  12. pandora Win User
    Why is Windows.old empty anyway?

pandora, Jan 19, 2016
  13. sumi Win User

Lost Desktop Files

Basically the same thing happened to me ... when I upgraded and logged in first time, I copied (that's what I thought) files to new directory and the next time when I logged in, everything was gone. Anyways, I used Stellar Phoenix Windows Recovery software. I could recover about 2/3 of files, although I still lost some old photos and some recovered files are corrupted. Just better than nothing *cry

14. sml24286 Win User
    Hello,
    This is exactly what happened to me.
    After a long installation of windows 10 it appeared to have completed and I had access to all my folders.
    I found all my document files (music, downloads, pictures, etc) in C:/users/nameuser/...., and duly moved them to the new folders.
    Everything appeared to be there and worked, so I was content.
    On rebooting the computer appeared to go through a complete startup process and on completion, to my horror, all my files were gone from the new location and not in C:/users/nameuser either.
    Could you or someone help me please?????? *Sad *Sad *Sad *cry

sml24286, Feb 8, 2016
  15. Marya Win User
    This just happened to me today! I thought the update was finished & i noticed that my files are not in the same place i left them so i moved them back, and somehow i restarted my laptop, when i tried opening my files it says that they're not found or might be deleted, so i searched in c:/ but the folders are empty!

Did anybody found a solution? I lost very very important files *Sad

Marya, Feb 8, 2016
Thema:

Lost Desktop Files

1. Lost Desktop Files - Similar Threads - Lost Desktop Files

2. Lost my desktop files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  3. Lost my desktop files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  4. Lost icons on the desktop and file manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost icons on the desktop and file manager: As the figure showns below, on the desktop, the apps are functionally normal but the icons are missing. That also happens in the file manager. However, in the startup menu, the icons and tiles are normal. I have tried restarting my PC, "/scannow" on cmd which no issue is...
  5. Lost files on Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost files on Desktop: Wednesday night I was out. A thunderstorm came through the area and knocked the power out. I had left my computer on and naturally it shut down. The next morning I restarted my computer and noticed that my background screen image had changed from the picture I used to the...
  6. Lost desktop files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost desktop files: Apparently there was a Windows 10 update that was pushed out. All my desktop files and internet shortcuts have been deleted. How/where can I recover them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-files/20db6b24-3e67-4c01-9e32-a4a40e217f77
  7. File lost on Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File lost on Desktop: I was creating an image file (png) and I saved it to my desktop. I then went to send it to someone, realized I had forgotten something, then went in to edit it again. I received an error that I could not access the file due to not having permissions, despite being the...
  8. Lost Desktop

Lost Desktop: I rebooted my pc and have lost access to the desktop. It looks more like a start page. How do I get my desktop back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop/97af6667-dfd3-4562-8b72-a0dd002aaad4
  9. Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files: Hello, Recently my computer froze so I turned it off holding the power button down and then restarted it. It took awhile to come back on because it said it was fixing Drive C. When it did come on and I typed my password in, it took a long time to open my desktop, saying it...
  10. lost desktop

lost desktop: My computer did an update on windows 10 and now it can't find the desktop, nothing works and I have a black screen. A dialog box does come up saying the desktop is missing or moved...