Windows 10: Lost Desktop Files

Discus and support Lost Desktop Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Files could be hidden. File Explorer Options->View->Show hidden files and folders (check on) Always backup before doing upgrades , installations,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scoontaque, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Slugger Win User

Lost Desktop Files

Files could be hidden. File Explorer Options->View->Show hidden files and folders (check on)

Always backup before doing upgrades , installations, etc. Macrium Reflect

Slugger, Feb 8, 2016
  2. simba1 Win User

Hello,
    I made an account just to thank you.
    I had the same problem. I was searching the whole day for a solution and nothing worked.
    After reading your post, i made excaclty the steps you wrote and it worked.

PS: I spend more time to create an account in this forum, rahter than saving my files *Biggrin
    But i felt the need to thank you, there were really important files for me.

simba1, Feb 23, 2016
  3. Gerallt77 Win User
    same thing happened when i updated CC cleaner on my desktop pc, everything was fine until i updated that programme, so i doubt it was avast, but a problem with windows 10 itself, but it has only had an effect on other profiles on the pc, mine seems fine, but i'm not holding my breath.

Gerallt77, Feb 27, 2016
  4. Lost Desktop Files

Hello,
    I made an account just to thank you. thanks

karngywnah, Mar 10, 2016
  5. Raudibert Win User
    I was working on digitizing music from an old cassette -- AGPTek cassette capture -- when I completed the transfer of an album to a file folder on my desktop, the file folder disappeared. I had also invested quite a bit of time separating out several of the songs, so I was concerned I'd lost all the work. Fortunately the search function located the folder with all of the files intact --ON MY GOOGLE DRIVE! I have no way of knowing how that happened. I use the Google Drive as a temp backup, but did not knowingly use any combination of keystrokes to move that folder. Mystery solved, and my faith in the Widows 10 search function restored.

Raudibert, Mar 19, 2016
  6. Hey there i did the same, most where saved on an external hard drive (all my pictures) but lost my résumé and some other documents, and stupid me didn't found this tread before I rolled the update back, and that didn't help...is it possible to still find my files or will the be lost forever?

isahartvig, Apr 30, 2016
  7. Slugger Win User
    I use to use a registry cleaner and stopped a long time ago. You don't need CC cleaner. As for Avast just use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. If you need to clean up virus, malware and PUPs use adwcleaner from bleepingcomputer.com .

Slugger, May 1, 2016
  8. etarbar Win User

Lost Desktop Files

Hello. Please accept appreciation from one more victim like me. ShadowExplorer solution perfectly works for me. I can recover all my important files and folders now. Thank you very much, sir.
    This is what happen;
    -windows update
    -desktop change, some random program shortcuts remain but none important files and folders
    -open C users desktop and "move" all of them to the desktop
    -shutdown laptop
    -boot in the morning with shock and confuse
    -google many solutions and found the right one here
    -install and run ShadowExplorer, choose the date to last night, go to C users desktop, all my precious are there!

etarbar, May 28, 2016
  9. halextm Win User
    I just signed up to say THANK YOU with ShadowExplorer I've recovered 20GB+ files, thank you man!

halextm, Sep 3, 2016
  10. well it's 2016 the problem still exists, and I registered simply to say that none of these fixes have worked for me..my files are gone

drtigerlilly, Oct 6, 2016
  11. Just like one of the other members on here, i created this acct just to thank you. This solution worked for me. If it weren't for you sharing this with us, i would've lost files that have a lot of sentimental value to me that could never be replaced. Thank you so much. Seriously.

lilwayne610, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lost Desktop Files

1. Lost Desktop Files - Similar Threads - Lost Desktop Files

2. Lost my desktop files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  3. Lost my desktop files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost my desktop files.: Hello I have lost my desktop files and they aren't in my storage either. This started when logged in an account witch wasn't mine and I couldn't switch account so I transfered my desktop from my real account to the other one. And when I restarted my pc it booted in to my real...
  4. Lost icons on the desktop and file manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost icons on the desktop and file manager: As the figure showns below, on the desktop, the apps are functionally normal but the icons are missing. That also happens in the file manager. However, in the startup menu, the icons and tiles are normal. I have tried restarting my PC, "/scannow" on cmd which no issue is...
  5. Lost files on Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost files on Desktop: Wednesday night I was out. A thunderstorm came through the area and knocked the power out. I had left my computer on and naturally it shut down. The next morning I restarted my computer and noticed that my background screen image had changed from the picture I used to the...
  6. Lost desktop files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost desktop files: Apparently there was a Windows 10 update that was pushed out. All my desktop files and internet shortcuts have been deleted. How/where can I recover them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-files/20db6b24-3e67-4c01-9e32-a4a40e217f77
  7. File lost on Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File lost on Desktop: I was creating an image file (png) and I saved it to my desktop. I then went to send it to someone, realized I had forgotten something, then went in to edit it again. I received an error that I could not access the file due to not having permissions, despite being the...
  8. Lost Desktop

Lost Desktop: I rebooted my pc and have lost access to the desktop. It looks more like a start page. How do I get my desktop back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop/97af6667-dfd3-4562-8b72-a0dd002aaad4
  9. Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files: Hello, Recently my computer froze so I turned it off holding the power button down and then restarted it. It took awhile to come back on because it said it was fixing Drive C. When it did come on and I typed my password in, it took a long time to open my desktop, saying it...
  10. lost desktop

lost desktop: My computer did an update on windows 10 and now it can't find the desktop, nothing works and I have a black screen. A dialog box does come up saying the desktop is missing or moved...