Windows 10: Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 over 4 days ago. After windows 10 was up, all the folders/files in my desktop were moved somewhere. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Palisades, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Palisades Win User

Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade

Hello, I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 over 4 days ago. After windows 10 was up, all the folders/files in my desktop were moved somewhere. I did a file search and moved them back to the desktop. I was on a general user admin account. Shortly after, I logged into my outlook account on windows 10. Could still see all the files/folders on my desktop. But when I rebooted my pc for 1st time after upgrading to windows 10, all the desktop files/folders disappeared. File search could only find the icon links in ..../Recent folder. No physical files/folders exist for those icon links. Online MS Help techs had tried to look into my pc remotely but they could not find anything. One online tech suggested Office 365 could recover them since the files may be saved in Office app, but I used Office to search for the files with no success.

All other personal files/folders not saved on desktop are still OK.

All was lost for the files/folders on desktop? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Palisades, Nov 22, 2015

2. Drag and drop lost in Windows 10 upgrade

After upgrading to Windows 10 I've lost the ability to drag and drop on the desktop and from folder to folder. Is there a fix for this?

CarlaKrause, Nov 22, 2015
  3. Zvon33 Win User
    Lost Outlook sub folder emails, desktop shortcuts and Favorites in file explorer in Windows 10.

Original Title: Lost all Outlook e-mail sub folder structure and other stuff after Windows 10 upgrade

I fell for it again i.e. Microsoft's promise that "nothing" will change after you do an O.S. upgrade Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade :(

After running the Windows 10 upgrade I have lost the following items:

• Entire Outlook sub-folder structure. got back anything that was not filed i.e. just in the "Inbox" but lost hundreds of other important messages.
    • All Desktop icons (shortcuts).
    • All "Favorites" saves in Windows Explorer.

Any assistance on these items would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Zvon

Zvon33, Nov 22, 2015
  4. Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade

Check your C:\ for your saved Win 7 items, under windows.old, hopefully they are there.

Palisades, Welcome to Windows ten forums.

kingstonian, Nov 22, 2015
  5. Palisades Win User
    Thank you. I checked but they were not there.

Palisades, Nov 22, 2015
  6. You checked in the Users, your name, Desktop folder....

7. Palisades Win User
    Yes. I did a thorough file search on the pc including desktop, users, my username, but only saw link icons pointing to desktop location, but the physical files were gone. Seems all links were broken.

Palisades, Nov 22, 2015
  8. Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade

That's strange, I've been updating 10 all along and have been able to locate items this way.

The safe way for me is to use One drive for extra security.... Have lost many items over the years due to software and hardware failures.

Hopefully some one else can help...

9. Teddy Win User
    If you don't have Windows.old on your C: drive, try going through the various folders under C:\Users.
    Look for the one that has more data than others - that could be a clue that your files are there somewhere.

Teddy, Nov 23, 2015
  10. Hello, I upgraded to Win10 last week and was able to find all my old docs and pics etc. I was able to see and access them all on the Windows 10 desktop. This morning I fired up the computer and it did an automatic update. There was a message on the screen, something like "don't worry all your documents are exactly where you left them". Then another message about "tweaks". When Windows finally started it had screwed up my desktop. The only files still on my desktop were apps. All the files containing docs and pics are gone. I've searched the windows.old etc and am starting to panic.
    Anybody know what to do? Pls help. thanks

BruceSmith, Nov 27, 2015
  11. Did anyone find a fix for this? I'm having the same issue I upgraded to windows 10 and i was fine, then I rebooted and everything on my desktop was gone.

Does anyone see a fix for it? The only thing I could do is try to run a file recovery program but it didn't find anything.

tveditorhokie, Nov 27, 2015
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, whilst I've not experienced that problem, suggest this free tool to help you find them conveniently:
    locate32
    Locate32 Download

This does a pretty quick scan to index everything, then search is 'instant'. Very convenient.
    That way, wherever your files are, you'll find them if they are there and you know the name or part of the name.

dalchina, Nov 27, 2015
  13. Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade

Do you guys think Microsoft will make a fix that somehow just reveals all the desktop files? I'm more of a mac user so I was wondering like in the past with you guys using Windows 8 or 10 if they release a weird update or somethign that does this do they find a way to reverse the effects?

tveditorhokie, Nov 28, 2015
  14. caperjack Win User
    the weird thing about this issue is ,files should never be kept on the desktop ,they should always be in folders on the root of C:\

caperjack, Nov 28, 2015
  15. @Palisades
    the exact thing happened to me the last couple days. You're the first person that I've heard to describe my experience exactly! Did you ever figure anything out about it? My files aren't in the usual directories that everyone keeps saying to look in, I've tried both Shadow Explorer and Locate 32 to no avail. There are so many directories in Shadow explorer that it's possible I missed something but I sure looked a long time. The only reason I still have hope that they did briefly appear after the upgrade but after a reboot they were gone for good. Sure wish someone could get a fix for this, as there's ten years of lost work and pictures on there...

Hammerhong, Dec 10, 2015
Thema:

Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade

1. Lost files and folders on desktop after windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Lost files folders

2. windows 11 lost files on desktop after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 lost files on desktop after update: windows 11 lost all the files on the desktop after the update. where are the files ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-lost-files-on-desktop-after-update/6d63e02f-97e1-4a43-a740-e79af2c8fbb9
  3. Windows 10 Files and folders lost

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Files and folders lost: WINDOWS 10 automatically update and lost my all files from C drive. It was important documents please give me solution to recover my documents. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-files-and-folders-lost/ca6f80e0-c84f-456f-9b5b-9865202ee069
  4. Upgraded to windows 10 lost files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded to windows 10 lost files: Upgraded from windows 7 to 10. Had multiple users. I only see one users information. Where / how do I get second profile/ files back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgraded-to-windows-10-lost-files/23f3ac14-1f60-4779-92c1-7a078ea46c6d
  5. lost desktop folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost desktop folder: I moved the desktop folder to OneDrive and now OneDrive folder contents are displayed on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-folder/46138ec7-d489-43e9-80e1-c37873e03193
  6. Lost Folders and Files After Windows Update

Lost Folders and Files After Windows Update: I have just discovered some missing files and folders. Some of these are complex spreadsheets that took weeks to create. This happened recently after Windows updated my computer. HELP PLEASE!...
  7. lost files after the upgrade to Windows 10 19.03

lost files after the upgrade to Windows 10 19.03: hi, A user has applied the update to 19.03 of her Windows 10 Pro. She passed after several bugs. In the end, most of his data contained in Documents and Desktop disappeared. I followed the procedures described here, but could not find them....
  8. Lost folders and files after updating Windows 10

Lost folders and files after updating Windows 10: Please help me retrieve all my folders and files lost after srlecting the Windows 10 update. I see my programs but no folders I created or access to onedrive or icloud....
  9. Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files

Windows 10 Lost Desktop and Files: Hello, Recently my computer froze so I turned it off holding the power button down and then restarted it. It took awhile to come back on because it said it was fixing Drive C. When it did come on and I typed my password in, it took a long time to open my desktop, saying it...
  10. lost desktop icons and files after upgrade from 8.1 to 10

lost desktop icons and files after upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hi, New here and have a problem. I just upgraded to W10 from W8.1 and have lost my desktop short cuts and files. How do I recover them. During the upgrade process it said all files were transferred properly. I have looked at windows.old, but don't know what to look for or...