Windows 10: Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories

Discus and support Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just witnessed the strangest behavior on my windows 10 notebook. It is the second time it has happened. The first time I was sure that I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jpsageusa, May 7, 2017.

1. jpsageusa Win User

Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories

I have just witnessed the strangest behavior on my windows 10 notebook. It is the second time it has happened. The first time I was sure that I did something but this time I am sure of what I did because I was very careful. For brevity I have substituted logical names. Thank you for any insight one what happened.

Here goes: Sub-directory ".\top" with sub directories .\top\sub1, .\top\sub2 and files .\top\top-f1.mp3, .\top\top-f2.mp3. sub1 has sub1-f1.mp3 and sub1-f2.mp3. sub2 has sub2-f1.mp3 and sub2-f2.mp3.

...\top -> sub1 ->
    .................sub1-f1.mp3
    .................sub1-f2.mp3
    ..............sub2 ->
    .................sub2-f1.mp3
    .................sub2-f2.mp3
    .............top-f1.mp3
    .............top-f2.mp3

In file explorer I shift-drag "top" to desktop; sub1 and sub2 move and an error message appears saying that it can't delete file. I press cancel and upon inspection both sub directories are moved with their files but the files Top-f1.mp3 and Top-f2.mp3 are now gone along with "top" its original location.

Thank you,
    john

:)

jpsageusa, May 7, 2017
  2. GlynS Win User

Moving files and directories using the navigation pane fails.

When I'm trying to move directories or files by dragging-and-dropping using the navigation pane, when I hover over the target directory I get a "No entry" sign. I can move things into subdirectories in the file list, it's just when I try dropping something
    into the navigation pane that it fails.

Is there a setting I've ticked/unticked which renders the navigation pane useless?

Thanks

GlynS, May 7, 2017
  3. RoyalDUF Win User
    Sonic Studio DLA needs to be uninstalled, but I don't have it/can't find it.

Thanks Almar. Your response did the trick. I too had saved my old hard drive data when switched to a new computer. The Sonic subdirectory was in the Program Files directory of the old hard drive directory.

RoyalDUF, May 7, 2017
Thema:

Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories

1. Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories - Similar Threads - Lost files moving

2. I just moved files around, and when I open a directory where I moved files in, it "loads" a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I just moved files around, and when I open a directory where I moved files in, it "loads" a...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/all_is_love6667 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/11xtd7w/i_just_moved_files_around_and_when_i_open_a/
  3. win 10 moving subdirectories up one level

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win 10 moving subdirectories up one level: I have the following directory structure: c:/maindirectory/level1/level2 subdirectories level1 and level2 each have lots of large files, I want to keep all those files but end up with c::/maindirectory holding all of them. I can accomplish my goal by doing lots of copying,...
  4. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.: Window 10 home on a Lenovo IdeaPad: I have a new 2Tbyte USB FLASH drive. On using it as a backup I get Error 80070570 errors. To debug I copied one of the files that had the error to a different directory with no problem. I deleted the original/error directory and renamed...
  5. Moving the Windows.old directory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving the Windows.old directory: I have a C partition which is not very large. So when there was a recent windows update and windows created the windows.old directory my space on the C partition got small. So I thought it was a good idea to move the windows.old directory to another partition. This was...
  6. Wanted. A list of Directory and Subdirectories. Full Path.

Wanted. A list of Directory and Subdirectories. Full Path.: I wanted a complete path of directories and subdirectories. No files. For example, my file and path might be: D:\Parent_Directory\Sub_Directory\My_File.txt I want: D:\Parent_Directory\Sub_Directory\ How to do this?...
  7. Pictures lost when moving (PC)?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pictures lost when moving (PC)?: Hey, since I want to reset my phone, because of the performance, I want to backup all pictures etc. of course. I have cut out 2 folders with pictures from my phone & inserted them on my hard disk. Now I only have the two folders, but there is nothing in them. & there is...
  8. How to delete Found.000 directory and subdirectories?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete Found.000 directory and subdirectories?: I'm facing a rather strange situation. I have a directory on an external hard disk named found.000. Its attributes are Hidden and System. Inside it there is another directory named dir_00000000.chk. That one also has Hidden and System attributes. Now it's worth noting that...
  9. Files lost after moving

Files lost after moving: i got a new computer and while moving files from the old computer, all the files were lost. Just empty folders and the files are on neither computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!...
  10. Directories and subdirectories still appear on File Explorer even when ...

Directories and subdirectories still appear on File Explorer even when ...: Directories and subdirectories still appear on File Explorer even when I have successfully deleted its contents (in the temporary files in setup-systems-storage) I just wonder why the folders are still there! Well, I’m just cleanings up and am curious if I can remove the...