Windows 10: Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories

Discus and support Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just witnessed the strangest behavior on my windows 10 notebook. It is the second time it has happened. The first time I was sure that I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jpsageusa, May 7, 2017.

1. jpsageusa Win User

Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories

I have just witnessed the strangest behavior on my windows 10 notebook. It is the second time it has happened. The first time I was sure that I did something but this time I am sure of what I did because I was very careful. For brevity I have substituted logical names. Thank you for any insight one what happened.

Here goes: Sub-directory ".\top" with sub directories .\top\sub1, .\top\sub2 and files .\top\top-f1.mp3, .\top\top-f2.mp3. sub1 has sub1-f1.mp3 and sub1-f2.mp3. sub2 has sub2-f1.mp3 and sub2-f2.mp3.

...\top -> sub1 ->
    .................sub1-f1.mp3
    .................sub1-f2.mp3
    ..............sub2 ->
    .................sub2-f1.mp3
    .................sub2-f2.mp3
    .............top-f1.mp3
    .............top-f2.mp3

In file explorer I shift-drag "top" to desktop; sub1 and sub2 move and an error message appears saying that it can't delete file. I press cancel and upon inspection both sub directories are moved with their files but the files Top-f1.mp3 and Top-f2.mp3 are now gone along with "top" its original location.

Thank you,
    john

:)

jpsageusa, May 7, 2017
  2. GlynS Win User

Moving files and directories using the navigation pane fails.

When I'm trying to move directories or files by dragging-and-dropping using the navigation pane, when I hover over the target directory I get a "No entry" sign. I can move things into subdirectories in the file list, it's just when I try dropping something
    into the navigation pane that it fails.

Is there a setting I've ticked/unticked which renders the navigation pane useless?

Thanks

GlynS, May 7, 2017
  3. RoyalDUF Win User
    Sonic Studio DLA needs to be uninstalled, but I don't have it/can't find it.

Thanks Almar. Your response did the trick. I too had saved my old hard drive data when switched to a new computer. The Sonic subdirectory was in the Program Files directory of the old hard drive directory.

RoyalDUF, May 7, 2017
Thema:

Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories

1. Lost files when moving directory with subdirectories - Similar Threads - Lost files moving

2. Files lost after moving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files lost after moving: i got a new computer and while moving files from the old computer, all the files were lost. Just empty folders and the files are on neither computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!...
  3. Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.: Good day / night, I noticed that my computer takes forever to do any kind of operation on files and directories (except editing content which is done in a separate process). I believe the problem to be the windows explorer simply because I tried moving and deleting files and...
  4. Moving a Directory to Storage Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving a Directory to Storage Drive: I'm quite sure many people move a Directory to a Storage Drive so some software will act appropriately, like Pictures for instance. Some computers even come with an SSD and a Storage drive OOTB, but they don't put any Directories on the Storage Drive. My question is, how...
  5. Directories and subdirectories still appear on File Explorer even when ...

Directories and subdirectories still appear on File Explorer even when ...: Directories and subdirectories still appear on File Explorer even when I have successfully deleted its contents (in the temporary files in setup-systems-storage) I just wonder why the folders are still there! Well, I’m just cleanings up and am curious if I can remove the...
  6. move user directory stange problem after moving

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    move user directory stange problem after moving: Hi On win7 i did the following. And i found it musch easyer then what is in the tutorials Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Did some nows if it works on win 10. On windows 7 i did the following Did a full installation. Than i boot...
  7. Inherit permissions when moving files

Inherit permissions when moving files: Can anyone please tell me how I can set Windows 10 up, so moved files will inherit the permissions from the destination folder? I enabled the inheritance option on the parent folder and that works when copying files, but not when moving files. In previous versions of...
  8. Missing subdirectory in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing subdirectory in Explorer: I have a directory called CARS with four subdirectories called FORD, CHEVY, DODGE and VW. These are not the real names but I rename them for simplication. The VW directory contains several files. I have been using these files for over a year. Today the VW subdirectory is...
  9. [HELP] Wanting to move video files into a master directory/folder

in Windows 10 Support
    [HELP] Wanting to move video files into a master directory/folder: I have 1000 videos that are all inside directories. Ex. 13212/video1.avi, 34234/video2.avi, 79443/video3.avi, etc I have over 1000 videos that are individually inside it's own random folder name. I would like to know if Windows 10 has any features or command line...
  10. Move all files inside folders to parent directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Move all files inside folders to parent directory: Hello, First of all, I would like to apologize if this topic is not in the correct forum. My problem is the following: I have a folder (let's call it BASKET), inside that folder I have many other folders (for the sake of the example, I will name for example 3 folders -...