Windows 10: Lost half of dual boot

Discus and support Lost half of dual boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Having run the Insider program for several months I decided to use my Windows 7 Pro disk to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro by creating a new partition and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by colirv, Sep 27, 2015.

1. colirv Win User

Lost half of dual boot

Having run the Insider program for several months I decided to use my Windows 7 Pro disk to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro by creating a new partition and installing and upgrading there. The PC has happily dual-booted for a month or so from Volume2 (Insider on the original System Reserved and C: partitions) and Volume3 (Windows 10 Pro on ILost half of dual boot :). I've been gradually building up Volume3 with all my programs ready to transfer permanently, but as I was running out of room I used MiniTool Partition Wizard (from Volume2) to reduce the size of Volume2 and increase the size of Volume3. I realise now that was a daft thing to do, as the PC will no longer boot from Volume3! Is there a relatively simple way of making Volume3 bootable again? If too much is involved I may decide simply to run Insider for ever.

Update - I should have added that I've tried repairing it using the Windows 10 disk with which I installed it, and it simply says that it's not repairable.

:)

colirv, Sep 27, 2015

2. Dual-boot Windows 7/10 or 8/10; does pestering stop?

I understand dual-boots and have built a few of them. That's not my question.

Suppose I build a dual-boot 7/10 or 8/10. Given the high degree of pestering Microsoft is doing to 7 and 8 users to get them to move to 10, will Microsoft continue to pester me when I use the 7/8 half of a dual-boot? Does Windows Update still offer the many
    move-to-10 upgrades or does that stop?

baroque-quest, Sep 27, 2015
  3. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Andre, if I want to uninstall windows 10, without lost Windows 8.1 boot?

How can I make the bootmanager to WIndows 8.1?

PD: The system is UEFI based BIOS

PD1: still I have not windows 10 dual boot with Windows 8.1

Allan Havid Ramirez, Sep 27, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Lost half of dual boot

Make a Macrium Reflect Free bootable USB/DVD. Boot from that, and in the restore options will be a boot repair utility. You can try using that.

Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Sep 27, 2015
  5. colirv Win User
    Thanks for that. I already had a Macrium boot CD, so tried that. It found both operating systems, but on selecting the one I wanted to repair, the next page didn't give me a boot option. However, it reminded me that just over a week ago I'd tried out my new USB3 drive with a disk image from Macrium, so ended up restoring that. It means redoing the large amount of rearranging over the last week, but at least my dual booting is now working again.

colirv, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lost half of dual boot

1. Lost half of dual boot - Similar Threads - Lost half dual

2. Wordpad lost half of content

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wordpad lost half of content: Hi! I need help. A document I've been writting for some years now suddenly lost half of its content randomly, and also all the photos from the work were erased from it. It's a RTF file. I noticed it seem to have some kind of connection to me adding pictures to it, since this...
  3. Wordpad lost half of content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wordpad lost half of content: Hi! I need help. A document I've been writting for some years now suddenly lost half of its content randomly, and also all the photos from the work were erased from it. It's a RTF file. I noticed it seem to have some kind of connection to me adding pictures to it, since this...
  4. Wordpad lost half of content

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. dual boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual boot: how do i remove a dual boot to make it single boot system w/Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/1f4d89b9-3e50-4e91-97b5-f8589935661c
  6. Dual Booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...
  7. If I reinstall Windows in my dual boot scheme, will it keep the other half?

If I reinstall Windows in my dual boot scheme, will it keep the other half?: I'm currently running Windows 10 on a dual boot with Linux Mint. I have so much gook on the Windows partition that I'm planing on reinstalling Windows via the option in the settings - specifically, delete all apps and files, reinstall all of it. But if I reinstall Windows...
  8. Lost dual boot with two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost dual boot with two hard drives: ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB...
  9. Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu

Lost the Alienware boot animation after dual booting with Ubuntu: Hi guys, I have Alienware 17 R3. I have dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04. Now when I select windows in grub menu, the generic windows 10 animation shows up with 1024x768 resolution. Is there a way to restore my Alienware boot animation? Thank you. 69227
  10. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: This is a two part question, and please note I do not have Win10 myself. In fact I do not have direct access to the computer I am talking about although I do have the full technical details of it, including all drivers, etc. Firstly, If Win10 is already installed on a...