Windows 10: Lost home network in build 10074

Discus and support Lost home network in build 10074 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a home network - not homegroup - that was working fine until build 10074. I have checked the workgroup name and have re shared some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oldtraveler, May 2, 2015.

1. Lost home network in build 10074

I have a home network - not homegroup - that was working fine until build 10074. I have checked the workgroup name and have re shared some files/folders. This Win 10 refuses to appear in the network even on the win 10 pc. Any ideas?

Wireless internet connection is OK.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Solved by installing Windows 10 build 10061 from an iso file.
    -------------------------------------------------

Will now try build 10074 again on another partition from an iso file.

10074 still does not show anything in "Network" even after sharing.
    ----------------------

Eureka! See solution below.

:)

oldtraveler, May 2, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, May 2, 2015
  3. After resetting Windows 10 preview, I no longer have any available internet connections!!!

It happened on Build 10074.

AldionLynaru II, May 2, 2015
  4. Roger Win User

Lost home network in build 10074

Check that all devices have same workgroup
    All devices have shares
    Shut down and cold boot all devices.
    Worked for me.............
    *Biggrin

Roger, May 2, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    If you wish, you can try the followings:

• Win+X -> Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center->Change Adapter Settings
    • Right click on the Network Adapter->Properties
    • Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties ->Advanced->WINS
    • Click to select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" then click OK.

topgundcp, May 2, 2015
  6. Thank you. Your #3 above led to the solution for build 10074. After I put a check in Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) it worked.

oldtraveler, May 3, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Great. Glad you got it sorted !!!

topgundcp, May 4, 2015
  8. Trodian1 Win User

But i din't work its still said limited connectivity or no connectivity any other solutions? please help

Trodian1, May 5, 2015
  9. jeffrys Win User
    ok, i will give this a try, but on the build 10061 it works fine without making any changes.

Jeff

jeffrys, May 17, 2015
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    Make sure these are all set....

Lost home network in build 10074 [​IMG]

f14tomcat, May 17, 2015
  11. jeffrys Win User
    Yes Tomcat, always.

But bad news, went back to a recovery from 06/05 which was not good, so i did an undo and now i cannot go back to the build 10074.

MS tells me that that version is no longer on the system......

Jeff

jeffrys, May 17, 2015
  12. My question is, why the heck don't they enable this by default? I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure this crap out and I've worked in IT for 15 years. How the heck is the standard user supposed to network their machines without this enabled and what purpose does disabling it serve?

musiclover7, May 18, 2015
  13. Roger Win User

I think it is enabled by default!
    I run three or four machines, with various builds and versions of Windows, continuously and don't seem to have the problem that others are experiencing as reported here.
    I don't use homegroup because I've always felt it was a tad flakey. I use a workgroup, the same one I've used for years, and adding a new machine is as simple as entering the new device in the workgroup, MSHOME in my case, sharing Downloads folder, which should already be shared on other machines on the network, shut down all machines, and COLD boot all machines.
    All machines should appear in the navigation pane with the Download folder in the network.
    If one machine doesn't show............ go to that machine and check that the workgroup is correct and that Downloads is shared. Open the Downloads folder in the Network folder to check it.
    Go to machine #2 and check that Downloads is available on machine #1.
    Simply crosscheck all machines. Get a no show? Check it again for workgroup, shared Downloads, and REBOOT.
    I've been online for over 20 years with several machines at a time and I've never had to "mess with the switches".
    Adapter settings, file sharing and all the other tech settings rarely ever need any help.
    I've noticed postings with a complaint that the recommended settings didn't work last night BUT this morning it worked fine!!! Why??? He booted this morning!!!
    A Reboot is one of the best medicines for a computer that you have ON the computer!!
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Roger, May 18, 2015
  14. You are getting lucky then. My latest install, not even the NetBIOS enable trick is working. Steps I took.

1) Reloaded both machines running windows 10 - build 10074.

2) Joined same homegroup = THE_MILLERS. Not really Millers, but sub in my last name.

3) Took ownership of various Non-C drives in windows, and set them up to be shared on network. Created User netconnect with full priv to all shares.

I still cannot access anything. I also cannot create/join a homegroup. I can create one, but I cannot join that group from the other machine. It sees it, but it does not take the password. I tried deleting the idstore.sset file, but it did not help. I could not even see the other windows 10 computer until I enabled NetBIOS, which is definitely not enabled by default (at least anymore- it was set to auto on both my machines).

I get prompted for username and password when I try to access the share on the other machine, and when I punch in the username/passwd I setup, I get no-where. This is really frustrating.

musiclover7, May 19, 2015
  15. Solution turned out to be run network troubleshooter on upstairs pc. It did not find anything, but after running it, I was able to join homegroup from downstairs machine. This step had failed like 10 times before, even after reboots, though I had only been running the troubleshooter on the downstairs machine which was the machine trying to join home group and connect to shares hosted upstairs. Moving on..

musiclover7, May 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Lost home network in build 10074 - Similar Threads - Lost home network

2. Build 10074 Wallpaper

in Windows 10 Customization
    Build 10074 Wallpaper: Hi Guys Looking to see if anyone can pass on the wallpaper from Build 10074 Gallery: Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10074 Been searching for it, but unfortunately cannot locate it at all. Thanks for your help. 12136
  3. IE11 Not working in Build 10074

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 Not working in Build 10074: Hello! I recently updated to build 10074 and IE11 will not launch at all! It is set as my default browser. Spartan (Edge) is working just fine...but I dont want to use it just yet as it doesnt store cookies and autofills logins. (among other reasons) Chrome opens just fine...
  4. No apps in Build 10074

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No apps in Build 10074: Hi. Was trying to access Mail in Windows 10. But it's nowhere to be found. The Apps say (empty). What happened? I went to the store. I installed it. But it still says the apps are empty. What can be done? I tried different things, like wsreset. Takes me back to the store....
  5. Lost Home Network Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Home Network Connection: The upgrade from 8.1 went smoothly, the only problem so far is that I lost my Home Network connection and don't see how to re-connect. My Home Network consists of 3 computers, an ancient XP, a newer WIN7, an HP Printer and this one running WIN10. Where do I find the...
  6. Lost Network Settings beside the clock in 10074 + Screen shot dead

Lost Network Settings beside the clock in 10074 + Screen shot dead: I lost the network setting (beside the clock) and not able to close the wired network properly (don't have the wireless, took out the card). I have the 10074 version. Not able to do a print screen (screen shot) to show you the white screen that appears beside the clock. When...
  7. Build 10074 not working as should

Build 10074 not working as should: hi guys, my network and/or homegroup no longer work. After searching and trying to fix this (a couple of hours) i gave up, gave feedback to MS and returnde to Build 10061. Hate to do a fresh install, although i have burned the ISO. So i guess i have to wait for a...
  8. Cant Update to Build 10074

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant Update to Build 10074: I tried updating to the latest build but when my computer restarts and turns back on, it gave me this error. 0xc1900101 - 0x30018 Here's a picture. Imgur 5803
  9. Upgrade to build 10074 fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to build 10074 fails: When I try to upgrade to build 10074 I get a failure message that reads • fbl_impressive Professional 10074 - Error 0xc1900107. I have tried Google and Bing but can't find a fix. Help! 5740
  10. Windows 10 Build 10074 Expected at BUILD 2015

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 10074 Expected at BUILD 2015: A few hours ago, we told you that Microsoft might be unveiling a new Windows 10 version at the BUILD 2015 developer conference this week, and now we also have a build number for the new flavor of the technical preview. Called by Russian leaker WZor the official Windows 10...