Windows 10: Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list

Discus and support Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I inadvertently clicked on a programme and not looking properly clicked an acceptance to change the DPI, it was this little app, Windows 10 DPI Fix,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pendaws, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Pendaws Win User

Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list

I inadvertently clicked on a programme and not looking properly clicked an acceptance to change the DPI, it was this little app, Windows 10 DPI Fix,
    all it did was cause the problem that I have now. *Sad Windows 10 DPI Fix 2.2 Read more at: Download Windows 10 DPI Fix - MajorGeeks

The two first pics are from a NEW login I created and, as anyone can see, there are icons like there should be and folders in apps section of the Start menu but
    The second two are from my main login and as can be seen, the icons and the folders have disappeared. I am guessing that I have caused a fault in my main profile
    And I am sure that there is some way to fix this? I have searched Google and here for answers and have also tried the MS route with little joy so, I am asking
    if anyone has had this happen to them and, were you able to fix this without a reinstall or uninstall of programmes and reinstall? Thanks in Advance.

Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list [​IMG]

:)

Pendaws, Mar 20, 2016

2. Missing Start Menu Icons and Folders in "All apps"

Hello Francois,

Your efforts to resolve this problem is very much appreciated. We appreciate the time taken by you to share the resolution. I am sure it would benefit other community members as well. Feel free to write us back for any further assistance with Windows,
    we’ll be glad to assist you.

Mann_Manohar, Mar 20, 2016
  3. Missing Start Menu Icons and Folders in "All apps"

After many, many search on the net... I finally found my answer...

This is an old bug back from the preview version which still isn't fixed : you can't have more than 512 icons listed on the start menu...

Through PowerShell, I used the command :

Get-StartApps | measure

It gave me 732 as a result. I made a little cleaning in the start folder and back below the 512 limit. All is now ok, I get all my icons back.

That's true I didn't got 512 programs... But many programs can create up to 10 or even 20 icons in the start menu subfolders... Like Visual Studio and others.

So please, fix this... Change the integer size...

Kind regards.

François Houlbrèque, Mar 20, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Suggestion :

1. Do a system restore. Pick a date BEFORE you "messed" with Windows 10 DPI Fix as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

2. Perhaps you would have a second thought of using a 3rd party app that might "screwed" up Windows settings ?

davidhk, Mar 20, 2016
  5. Pendaws Win User
    Thanks but the only restore point I have is over a month ago and of course, the back up I have is also over a month old. *Sad
    Yes, I will keep an eye on the programmes I try to install. Dum dum old me. *Sad

Pendaws, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list - Similar Threads - Lost display Icons

2. Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?: Whenever I change the view layout to list and detail the folder icon change to closed folder like this one Is there a way to always display the folder icon as open folder ? like this one Thank you in advanced....
  3. Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?: Whenever I change the view layout to list and detail the folder icon change to closed folder like this one Is there a way to always display the folder icon as open folder ? like this one Thank you in advanced....
  4. Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Trying to move icons for Microsorunrunft apps into folders in app list

Trying to move icons for Microsorunrunft apps into folders in app list: I've just built a new PC after spending months gathering the bits and pieces. I've noticed that since my last fresh install of Windows 10 some years ago, there is a proliferation of apps in my app list that I just don't want. I can't uninstall them as the option doesn't...
  6. Apps on the Start menu keep displaying the download icon

Apps on the Start menu keep displaying the download icon: Hi there, Need gurus' help on this issue. 1 When mouse is hover over the tile, it says ''app is on it's way'' [IMG] 2 What it says after I click on the missing app: [IMG] 3 Setting in the Store status. It says are latest! Does not seem to have any things that I...
  7. Folder Icons not displaying properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Icons not displaying properly: So this happened today in the afternoon, I was trying to download a file and the folder didn't show up ( Screenshot 1), so when I went to the Drive. It was showing all the folders that I have but It was showing the Icon is a weird way ( Screenshot 2). I don't know why. Can...
  8. Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?

Is it possible to display icons for Start Menu program list folders?: Obviously icons are displayed in the program list when the shortcut is not nested inside a folder. But it seems windows will not display customized folder icons. The properties for the folder can be opened, and a custom icon selected, but it does not display. Not in the start...
  9. Only List on Start Menu, Not Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Only List on Start Menu, Not Icons: I want my Start Menu to show only a list of programs/files/folders, like this: [img] but when I choose "Pin to Start" I get big, obnoxious icons which cause the Start Menu to expand much too far over the desktop, like this: [img] How can I cause additions to the...
  10. Start Icon Display

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Icon Display: First time user! I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 10 as well as my desktop PC also running Windows 10. When I click on the Start button on my laptop I get countless icons in the display screen. Icons for such items as Task Scheduler, Resource Monitor,...