Windows 10: Lost Permissions, Shortcuts, Thumbnails, etc...

Discus and support Lost Permissions, Shortcuts, Thumbnails, etc... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So my PC is behaving very strangely. It all started when I accidentally, permanently deleted some video clips I didn't mean to delete. I shut down the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Kinoss, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Kinoss Win User

Lost Permissions, Shortcuts, Thumbnails, etc...

So my PC is behaving very strangely. It all started when I accidentally, permanently deleted some video clips I didn't mean to delete. I shut down the PC, removed the hard drive, and installed it into another, Windows 7 PC, as a secondary HDD. I used EaseUS data recovery wizard. Unfortunately It was not able to recover the files.

While I was on the windows 7 PC I attempted to view my user/appdata folder, for the win10 drive, which then proceeded to ask for permission which I granted. A window popped up showing the progress, but it was taking forever so I force closed it. I don't know if this paragraph has anything to do with the issue, but I wanted to be thorough.

So I gave up trying to recover the video and put the win10 HDD back into the original system. It booted up fine, but when I got the the desktop none of the shortcuts would work and the files there were denied permission. This PC, Network, Control Panel, etc. all worked fine. I could access folders normally, but images and text documents were all access denied. My pinned task bar items were all broken, but my pinned start menu items worked. Task bar items point to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar instead of the file location. I was able to repair one by re-pinning it. I could create a new document on the desktop and was able to access it. Some programs will not run either. Photoshop runs into a runtime error, and Premiere runs fine, but is missing all my recent files. Chrome's extension icons are replaced by the default puzzle piece icon. Calculator, Alarms & Clock, Windows Store, and Voice Recorder all fail to start, but the snipping tool works fine. The "File Explorer" button just above Settings, Power, and All Apps also does not work.

After a bit of poking around I've found that the all the files that are denied are within my User folder. Anything in the C: directories outside of Users opens and works just fine. Please help me *Confused

:)

Kinoss, Apr 11, 2016

2. lost permissions in folders desktop documents etc etc

Hi Ignacio,

To further identify the cause of the concern, we would like to know if you're only experiencing this with specific files in a folder or does it apply to all files in the PC?

As a solution, we suggest that you set File Sharing of the files to a specific user in the PC and check if it will help.

Here are the steps:

• Right-click on the file/folder that you want to access or make changes to.
    • Click on Share with.
    • Click on Specific people,
    • Type the user name in the specific text field, and then click on
      Add.
    • Once the user has been added, change the permission level by clicking on the drop-down menu for the
      Permission Level.
    • Click on Share and then wait for the File Sharing to finish processing.
    • Once finished, click Done.

Let us know how it goes.

Patricia Yu, Apr 11, 2016
  3. lost permissions in folders desktop documents etc etc

i am not a win10 expert

Out of the blue today i lost all permissions to do anything with my files ... i cant sent an Attachement in an Email... that's was the beguining.

now i realize that i cant copy save move...

what happens ... what do i do to solve the problem...

habe you some simmilar experience ... how did this happend... how do I solve this problem ?

Ignacio AlejandroMejía Bonilla, Apr 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, so your permissions are borked on your user folders.

I'm assuming you haven't yet graduated to using disk imaging which allows you to rescue yourself without technical help (Macrium Reflect -free- is often recommended here + boot disk + external storage.

I'd hope you've got backups of the data, at least.

You can try the permissions repairs offered by Tweaking.com's Repair tool (free/commercial), but you do need to observe the precautionary steps and not just rush into the repairs and launch everything.

Untick the repairs you're not interested in.

Be cautious. Best start by creating a disk image.

You may be better off creating a new user, and deleting that user, assuming the damage is limited to one user's folders.

You can always access otherwise inaccessible folders by booting your PC from a live boot CD, or even in the last resort, a bootable Win 10 medium- but that limits you to the command prompt.

Good luck!

dalchina, Apr 11, 2016
  5. linw Win User
  6. Kinoss Win User
    This did it! Every single problem I had is gone. Thanks.

Kinoss, Apr 12, 2016
  7. linw Win User
    linw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost Permissions, Shortcuts, Thumbnails, etc... - Similar Threads - Lost Permissions Shortcuts

2. Image shortcut thumbnails don't display?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Image shortcut thumbnails don't display?: One of my hobbies is archiving thousands of pieces of artwork I find online. I love to organize and spend hours sorting images into different folders by theme and media. The way I have it set up is every file has a home in an "ALL" folder, and every subsequent folder for...
  3. lost permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    lost permissions: Just recently i have lost permissions to open my photos , i have tried everything ... can some one help please thank you in advance . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-permissions/2fc17712-f593-4d04-ab47-75f664de22e3
  4. Lost thumbnails to photos

Lost thumbnails to photos: Please help, my photos saved on the computes are in place but just plain icons, no thumbnails. Alot of photos did get deleted somewhere else in the computer during Backup and Sync, but they were backup of a backup. But now I only see the plain icons and not the little...
  5. desktop shortcuts (thumbnails) flickering

desktop shortcuts (thumbnails) flickering: My desktop thumbnails are flickering. I have rebooted twice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-shortcuts-thumbnails-flickering/8492bcc3-f9d2-405a-b6dc-25df4ce5b47d"
  6. Lost Administrator permissions!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Administrator permissions!: Hi. So, after having an absolutely torrid time (nearly 2 hours) with a clueless agent on the Microsoft app i thought i'd try here as i'm so desperate now. It's a bit long-winded so bear with me. Ever since my Windows 10 updated to version 1709 i have had failures...
  7. Thumbnail Preview for Shortcuts not displayed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnail Preview for Shortcuts not displayed: Hi, I can view thumbnail previews for my pictures but not for picture shortcuts where only the Photo icon is displayed. I will recall that in previous versions of Windows that was possible, or do I remember it wrong? Maybe I miss some setting here? Thanks for clarity!...
  8. Show thumbnail for shortcut of a video file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Show thumbnail for shortcut of a video file?: Is there any way for thumbnails to appear on shortcuts of video files? Just like if it was the actual video file? Right now I just have a generic icon. 115362
  9. Permissions/users etc. woes

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions/users etc. woes: Hello, Is there a way to stop Windows from trying to keep everything so damned 'secure'? Eliminate the need for permissions and file protection etc? I have a whole host of folders I can't access, or can only access by every time granting admin privileges. The biggest...
  10. microsoft account, lost password, locked PC, etc. etc. etc.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    microsoft account, lost password, locked PC, etc. etc. etc.: I have Windows 7 so had no idea how screwed up this could get. I've googled this for 3 hours and the simplest of answers will never be provided. No one seems to be able to think thoroughly on this. My 90 yr old dad has a hosed PC. It now has his login screen associated...