Windows 10: Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have lost a secondary SATA HDD and SATA DVD drive after a Fast Ring Windows 10 Build update. Both the missing drives are on the same SATA channel.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GaryGurd, Aug 9, 2018.

1. GaryGurd Win User

Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

I have lost a secondary SATA HDD and SATA DVD drive after a Fast Ring Windows 10 Build update. Both the missing drives are on the same SATA channel.

They DO show up in BIOS, but they do NOT show in either Windows Explorer or Windows Disk Management.

Was it the Windows 10 update that did this, or did they coincidently die?

What can I do to fix this? All of my personal data and backups are on the missing HDD. I have tried running 3rd party diagnostic tools, but they do not find the missing drives; neither SATA HDD or SATA DVD.

:)

GaryGurd, Aug 9, 2018

2. SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

I have a SATA internal HDD that supposed to be my main operational disk but I bought a "lay flat docking station" for Another SATA internal HDD that I cloned from my internal drive on my tower. But now I look at the properties on both drives and they both
    say they are online. Is it bad to have them working that way because I don't know what drive is working at any given time? I'm assuming I need to go into the BIOS and set it to which drive I want?

deerpark243, Aug 9, 2018
  3. JoeNamco Win User
    SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

using a USB makes it a external drive to the system. suggest that you do some research on USB vs SATA.

JoeNamco, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

I don't understand, the external drive isn't actually an external drive, it's a SCSI SATA disk drive in a lay flat docking station connected by a USB 3.0 cable. The docking station did clone the "C" drive ok. So, isn't it just like as if the SCSI SATA
    drive was in the tower just like the original "C" SCSI disk drive but not hooked up to the SATA data cable?

deerpark243, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

1. Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Lost SATA HDD

2. Booting from USB SATA HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting from USB SATA HDD?: I just found my old HDD with Windows 7. I just plugged it into my current W10 PC (via USB-SATA adapter), i used EasyBCD and selected the drive letter of my W7HDD (G:) and added that as boot entry But when restarting, selecting the W7 entry, it shows me black screen, and no...
  3. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  4. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  5. SATA DVD Rewriter Driver for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA DVD Rewriter Driver for Windows 11: I have an old DVD Drive Hitachi HL Model GH50N - ROM Version B100 from an old desktop that I am trying to use on my new Samsung Book Pro 360 running Windows 11. I have it connected using a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD cable.The notebook will not recognize the drive when I...
  6. SATA DVD Rewriter Driver for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA DVD Rewriter Driver for Windows 11: I have an old DVD Drive Hitachi HL Model GH50N - ROM Version B100 from an old desktop that I am trying to use on my new Samsung Book Pro 360 running Windows 11. I have it connected using a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD cable.The notebook will not recognize the drive when I...
  7. sata power and sata 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata power and sata 3: i looked on amazon and i couldn't find a good sata 3 to usb 3 and a sata power that would fit with the sata 3. Does anybody have a link to what im looking for? Sata 3 2.5 inches. https://imgur.com/5DFguai...
  8. SATA HDD recognised as SSD

SATA HDD recognised as SSD: Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies in the fact I have...
  9. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD: Hello, I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot option and...
  10. Hot plug SATA HDD or DVD drive doesn't shows or not detected

Hot plug SATA HDD or DVD drive doesn't shows or not detected: Usually when we plug in a SATA drive it will show up in explorer but it doesn't now after I install Windows 10 (clean install). It work well when I'm on Win 7. I've check the BIOS it indicate all ports AHCI an I never change anything since Win 7. So what could be the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. missing hdd after windows 10 update

2. hard drive vanished after update windows 10 sata cable